Matches 51 to 100 of 1,390

      «Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 28» Next»

 #   Notes   Linked to 
He was a First Lieutenant under Capt. David Berry in the Upper Division of Northumberland County, Council of Safety in 1776. Later, William was shot and scalped by Indians at a spot in present day Williamsport, PA where Fourth St. crosses a small stream near Cemetery Street. He was in a group of six men, two women, and six children that were massacred. Two other children escaped by
HAMMOND, Lt. William (I6954)
Henry Wolfinger was a hotel keeper of much prominence in the early days of the actual development of the West Branch Valley. He was for years a resident of Northumberland and conducted the Cross Keys, a hotel on the corner of Market and Front streets. He later moved to Milton where the fourth generation of his family survive him. While in Milton he conducted a hotel on Mahoning Street on the site of the present home of Johnson B. Godcharles. He was a soldier in War of 1812, and was the father of the late John F. Wolflnger, Esq., an historian of much prominence in this valley. 
WOLFINGER, Henry (I7066)
His blacksmith shop was on the east side of Front (Arch) St. just south of Upper Market St., and can be seen on the map of 1858. 
WISE, Samuel (I5767)
His foundry was on the east side of Front (Arch) Street just above Upper Market Street. It can be seen on the map of 1858. 
MERVINE, Thomas (I2885)
His foundry was on the west side of Arch St. (then Front Street) at the southwest corner of Locust Street. It can be seen on a map of 1858. 
TREGO, Eli Skiles (I2879)
His shop was at the SE corner of Front (Arch) and Walnut Streets, and can be seen on the map of 1858. The map shows J. L. Maxwell as the name. 
MEIXELL, John L. (I5771)
History of the land bought by Joseph Marr from Turbut Francis - The localities of the Indian tribes prior to William Penn's arrival (Oct. 24, 1682) have been identified as follows: The Six Nations occupied the territory north of the sources of the Susquehanna and the Delaware rivers. Land was purchased from them in 1754 and the New Purchase advertised by the land office Feb. 23, 1769. In 1764 officers who served under Colonel Bouquet made an agreement in writing with each other that they would apply to the Proprietors (the Penns) for a tract of land for their services, to be divided among themselves. One Col. Turbut Francis's tract was 2,775 acres, surveyed to him in one tract adjoining the tract bought by him in Montour, embracing what is called Turbut township. It was called the "Colonel's Reward." Joseph Marr bought part of this land from the widow of Turbut Francis in 1792.

On July 2, 1792, Joseph Marr purchased from the widow of Turbut Francis a tract of land, one mile square, a part of the tract known as the "Colonel's Reward," lying on the east bank of the west branch of the Susquehanna river, embracing the northern part of what is now Milton, including the three farms north of that place. For this land he paid "four pounds per acre lawful money of Pennsylvania and a negro girl at the price of thirty pounds." He settled on the property in 1793 and immediately built a stone house beautifully situated on the banks of the river. It is still standing. In later years it was purchased from the family of Alem Marr, his son, by Moses Chamberlin. Joseph Marr died Sept. 18, 1796, aged forty-six years, and was buried in what was then the Marr burying ground, where the Lincoln street schoolhouse stands. Later his remains were removed to the upper cemetery, where they now rest. Mr. Marr was an earnest and consistent member of the Episcopal Church, in his day called the Church of England. On Aug. 18, 1794, he and his wife Susanna gave a tract of land, in Church lane, adjoining Upper Milton, to the trustees of the Episcopal congregation for burial and church purposes. He was one of the founders of the church of that denomination and the prime mover in the erection of the first church of that faith in Northumberland county. The church as an organized body dates back to 1793. 
MARR, Joseph (I608)
In 1802 Joseph Hammond established a hotel in a frame house on Front street in the upper part of Milton. He was an innkeeper, was an excellent judge of horses, and introduced improved breeds among the farmers. 
HAMMOND, Joseph (I6955)
In 1804, John Christ sold two acres of land to John Stahl, Jr., Michael Kuhns, and John Dieffenbacher, trustees of the Paradise congregation, for church and school purposes, and also to be used as a burial ground. This is the ground where the sexton house and the old part of the cemetery are now.

In 1809, a log building was erected to serve as a church and school. The church became know as "Christ Church" and the school as "Eschbach's School".

In 1824, the present sexton house was built as a "Union Church" by the Paradise Lutheran congregation and the Paradise Reformed congregation.

In 1859, the Reformed congregation built the present church on ground purchased from Conrad Menges, Jr. The Lutherans remained in "Christ Church" until about 1900, when the building was sold at auction to Seth Hill. In 1902, he sold it to the Reformed Church, and it became the sexton house. 
HILL, Seth Comly (I1179)
Jacob Gauger had a home on the north side of Broadway, opposite the end of Bound Ave. It was burned in the fire of 1880, and he rebuilt at number 89 Broadway, near the railroad tracks. 
GAUGER, Jacob Follmer (I184)
James Marr is a farmer of Prince George county, Md. His winter home is in Washington, D. C. 
MARR, James (I2869)
James Barber Marr read law in the office of James B. Linn, of Lewisburg, Pa., was admitted to the bar at that place, and became a member of the Clearfield county bar about 1839. He died a young man, leaving no family. His obituary was written by his friend William Bigler, afterward governor of the State. 
MARR, James Barber (I786)
John B. Hogan was a cabinet maker by trade and an early resident of Milton. He succeeded to the business of James McCord, who established a great demand for his furniture. During the War of 1812 he served as a captain and paymaster in the United States Army and removed to Alabama. He was promoted to major. He returned to Milton in 1817. He was a son in law of Betheul Vincent. 
HOGAN, John B. (I7065)
John Brady, inn-keeper and sheriff of Northumberland County, died at his home at Milton, Pa., December 10, 1808 aged forty eight. He is buried at Lewisburg. He was the son of Captain John Brady, the famous Indian fighter and he was also known as Captain John Brady. He was a brother of William P. and General Hugh Brady. 
BRADY, John (I7019)
John Dickerman, of the sixth generation of the Dickerman family in this country, was born in Vermont March 17, 1764. At the age of sixteen he enlisted as a soldier in the Revolutionary war, in which he served about nine months. During the latter part of his service he was employed as a scout. In 1789 he married Thankful Smith, a native of Granby, Mass., daughter of Seth and Thankful Smith, of that place, the former of whom served as a colonel in the Revolution. Mr. Dickerman moved to New Haven, Conn., when a young man, and there learned blacksmithing. About 1800 he removed with his family to Guilford, Chenango Co., N.Y., where he followed his trade, also engaging in farming. Later he removed to Otsego County, N.Y., where he died Nov. 6, 1848. His wife died at the same place Oct. 7, 1856. 
DICKERMAN, John (I4274)
John Frantz (1781-1834), was a hotel-keeper in Reading. In 1805 he married Mary Fricker, daughter of Anthony and Margaret Fricker, of Reading; Mrs. Margaret Fricker was a daughter of Conrad Weiser, the Indian interpreter of Colonial Pennsylvania. 
FRANTZ, John (I6455)
John Teitsworth was born in 1789. He was a trustee of the first school ever organized in Milton. When Milton was incorporated as a borough in 1817 he was the first town clerk. He died in March, 1836. 
TIETSWORTH, John (I7064)
John Teitsworth was one of the earliest inhabitants of Milton and was listed as a taxable in 1798. He was engaged in the mercantile business in Milton prior to 1794 in parnership with Robert Taggart. He died ln the winter of 1802. 
TIETSWORTH, John (I6044)
Joy Fletcher Whitbeck died Thursday, July 17, 1998, just one week before her 91st birthday, at Pomperaug Woods nursing home in Southbury, Conn. She was 90. Ms. Whitbeck was born in Philadelphia, Pa., on July 24, 1907. She was the daughter of George William Fletcher and Joy Chandler Dickerman. She was raised in Radnor and Haverford, Pa. She attended the Shipley School and graduated from Dana Hall in Wellesley in 1927. In 1931, she graduated from Smith College, where she played varsity field hockey, basketball, and tennis. After graduation, she moved to New York, N.Y. where she worked as a receptionist for American Locomotive Company. During the war she worked as a volunteer ambulance driver. In 1943, Ms. Whitbeck met her first husband, Ferdinand Lowther Starbuck, while playing tennis at the West Side Tennis Club in Forest Hills, N.Y. (Mr. Starbuck was the great, great grandson of Joseph Starbuck, the whaling ship owner and the builder of "The Three Bricks.") While raising a family, she worked at perfecting her bridge and tennis games. At the West Side she won numerous tournaments in both bridge and tennis. She lived in Forest Hills Gardens until three years after the death of her first husband, when she married Volkert S. Whitbeck and moved their family to Greenwich, Conn. To demonstrate her prowess on the tennis court in 1968, at the age of 61, she won every tennis tournament at the country club where she was a member. This included women's singles, doubles, mixed doubles, and family doubles. In the same year, she finished as a semi-finalist in the town's singles and doubles tournament while beating many college players less than a third her age. She continued to play tennis competitively until the age of 84. For more than fifty years, she vacationed with her family in Sconset. She was a member of the Sconset Casino. In her later years she owned a home on Towaddy Drive. In 1976, Ms. Whitbeck and her husband moved to Sherman, Conn., where they had maintained a vacation house. For many years, she was the president of the Timber Trails Association and worked as a volunteer on many charities. In 1995, she moved to Pomperaug Woods. In addition to being an excellent tennis player Ms. Whitbeck was known for her contract bridge playing ability in the tri-state area. She was a frequent duplicate bridge player in Wilton, Ridgefield, Danbury, Brookfield, and Southbury, Conn. She achieved the ranking of Silver Life Master by the American Contract Bridge League, a ranking that few possess. For many years she taught bridge, leaving behind many ardent pupils. Her competitive playing has taken her to many cities in the United States and abroad. A reception to celebrate her life was held on Friday, July 24, in Pomperaug Woods, Heritage Road, Southbury, Conn. In lieu of flowers contributions can be made in her memory to the Sconset Land Trust, Siasconset, Mass., 02564. Ms. Whitbeck is survived by three sons, Ferdinand L. Starbuck of Middlebury, Conn.; William D. Starbuck of Ridgefield, Conn. and Sconset, and Robert F. Starbuck of South Salem, N.Y. and Sconset. She also is survived by 10 grandchildren and four stepchildren. 
FLETCHER, Joy (I4265)
Lawrence Marr, supposed to have come to America from Scotland in the early part of the year 1700, settled in Upper Mount Bethel township, Northampton Co., Pa., died (aged ninety years) and was buried there. 
MARR, Lawrence (I762)
Margaret Frantz was the daughter of John and Mary (Fricker) Frantz. After her mother's death in 1824 she was taken and raised by Mrs. Simon Snyder, of Selinsgrove, widow of ex-Governor Snyder, and a friend of her mother's. John Frantz, her father (1781-1834), was a hotel-keeper in Reading. In 1805 he married Mary Fricker, daughter of Anthony and Margaret Fricker, of Reading; Mrs. Margaret Fricker was a daughter of Conrad Weiser, the Indian interpreter of Colonial Pennsylvania. 
FRANTZ, Margaret (I6433)
Margaret Marr, daughter of William and Mary B. Marr, born July 15, 1820, married Dr. John McCollum, of Tiffin City, Ohio. Both are deceased. They had two sons, of whom one died young. Leon married, but had no children. By profession he is a physician. 
MARR, Margaret (I789)
Mr. Grier was a member of the first class in the University at Lewisburg. He received his commission as chief engineer, U. S. Navy, from Abraham Lincoln, remaining in the service for ten years, and taking part in many of the naval battles in the Gulf and on the Atlantic coast. He also took part in the first attempt to lay the first Atlantic cable in 1857, between England and America. In later years he was engaged in manufacturing and different lines of electrical work. Mr. Grier was a member of the Franklin Institute of Philadelphia, and a companion of the Military Order of the Loyal Legion. 
GRIER, John A. (I811)
Mr. Heaton was born April 18, 1851, at Tamaqua, Pa., son of the late Reuben A. and Mary Heaton, the former of whom was a pioneer coal operator of the Schuylkill region, in which he became one of the most prominent. When a young man Mr. Heaton removed with his parents to Ashland. He attended Canandaigua Academy, graduated from college as a mining engineer, and resided in Philadelphia from 1870 to 1873, when he engaged in coal operations at Raven Run, Schuylkill Co Pa., being thus interested until 1885. He was associated with his brothers in the coal mining business in that county. From the time he took up his residence in Milton he took an active interest in the business development of the vicinity, and always displayed rare executive ability and sterling character; proving himself a most capable man in every respect and becoming one of the most prominent and influential citizens of the borough. He was a charter member of the Milton Trust & Safe Deposit Company, served as a director from the time of its incorporation until his death, and from 1901 to 1908 was president, retiring because of declining health. He succeeded his brother-in-law, John McCleery, in that position. He was president of the Pleasant Valley Cream Company, which under his management became one of the best in the State, and was interested in other corporations, always a leader in any movement designed to advance the interests of Milton. He died at his home on North Front and First streets, Milton, July 24, 1911, aged sixty years, and was interred in the Milton cemetery. Mr. and Mrs. Heaton resided at "Maple Bank," the Marr homestead (which he bought from the heirs), from 1887 until a few years ago, when they purchased the fine property which has since been the family home. 
HEATON, Edmund Hunter (I817)
Mrs. Harriet J. (Matchin) Marr's parents came to this country with the Priestleys in 1811 and lived in Northumberland, Pa. Her aunt, Maria Hiatt married James Hepburn, afterward Judge Hepburn of Philadelphia, a brother of Samuel Hepburn, of Milton. Her maternal grandfather was Captain Hiatt of the English navy. 
MATCHIN, Harriet J. (2) (I808)
Mrs. Marr, who was of Quaker ancestry, was the daughter of David Price and Hannah Frampton. Through her mother she was descended from William Frampton, of England, who was appointed by William Penn, Feb. 23, 1685, a member of his Council held at Philadelphia, commissioner of Kent and Sussex counties, 1685-86, was registrar general for the Provinces of Pennsylvania and Delaware at the time of his death, in 1686, and one of the signers of Penn's "Actual Treaty with the Indians in 1685 for the land of the present city of Philadelphia and the adjacent country out to the Susquehanna." Penn returned from New York the end of 1682. To this period belongs the "Great Treaty" which took place at Shakamaxon. Thomas Wescott, whose researches have exceeded perhaps any other, says there is no evidence that a "Treaty of Peace" or of purchase of lands ever was held under the great elm tree at Shakamaxon in 1682 by William Penn, and yet tradition is very positive on the subject. This pleasing transaction has been so fully engrafted on Pennsylvania history we hesitate to dispel it. The site of the elm tree is marked by a monument erected in 1827.

It is strange that for so important a matter as the Deed and Title to the lands which as Philadelphians and even as Pennsylvanians we occupy, we have no original treaty to show, but the fact is, as the records at Harrisburg show, that the Actual Treaty made for the lands, the present Philadelphia and adjacent country out to the Susquehanna, was made in the year 1685 by Thomas Holme, as president of the Governor's Council, and was signed by William Frampton and seven other white men and eleven Indians. It is recorded in the Book of Charters and Indian Deed, Page 62, in the office of the secretary of State at Harrisburg. 
PRICE, Susannah (I609)
Nathaniel Wilson, Sr., was born in 1747 and died in Chillisquaque in 1807. He was married to Eleanor McAllister in 1774. He was one of the original subscribers to the ChillisquaquePresbyterian Church. 
WILSON, Nathaniel (I6445)
On December 6, his (Brigadier General Stephen Watts Kearny) command met and was nearly decimated by a body of Mexican soldiers under Gen. Andres Pico at San Pasqual, about 40 miles from San Diego. In the engagement Kearny had 300 men, composed of Volunteers and Companies B and C of the 1st Dragoons. The enemy was charged by Capt. Abraham Johnston with the advance guard. Captain Johnston was shot fatally at the commencement of the action. Captain Moore pursued the retreating Mexicans but his horses were tiring. Seeing the lagging mounts, the Mexicans turned and charged with lances. Forced back, Moore was killed just before the final retreat. Lieutenant Hammond, two sergeants, two corporals and ten dragoons died also. The flagging mules of the rest of the men finally caught up with the battle and Kearny routed the enemy.

The price was high. In the action the Dragoons lost three officers: Capt. Benjamin Moore, who had arrived at Fort Scott with the first contingent of Dragoons and commanded until October, 1842; Capt. Abraham Johnston, a close friend of Swords and frequent visitor to Fort Scott; and Lt. Thomas C. Hammond, who was assigned to Fort Scott in 1843. Fourteen dragoons were killed and almost all with lance thrusts. General Kearny and two other officers were wounded in the engagement. By the end of December, General Kearny with Company C of the Dragoons had occupied Los Angeles. 
HAMMOND, Lt. Thomas Clark (1) (I6971)
Payson Heber Dickerman, 89, of 310 Heatherwood Drive, died Monday morning at Greenville Memorial Medical Center .

Born in Watsontown, Pa., son of the late Heber T. and Carrie Hilliard Dickerman. He was a retired civil engineer and a member of the St. George Masons of Schenectady, N.Y.

Surviving are his wife, Ruth Radcliffe Dickerman of the home; two daughters, Patricia Knapp of Scotia , N.Y., and Rhys English of Easley; one brother, Frederick A. Dickerman of Manchester, N.H.; two grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.

No services are planned. Courtesy of Dillard Memorial Funeral Home, Pickens.

The Greenville News, Greenville , SC – December 5, 2003 
DICKERMAN, Payson Heber (I2118)
Phineas Barber Marr was graduated at Jefferson College in 1830, and ordained to preach, by the Presbytery of Northumberland county Nov. 13, 1834. He was stated supply at Williamsport Pa., from 1833 to 1834; pastor at Lewisburg, Pa., 1834 to 1852. He was stated supply until his death, in 1874, at Lewisburg, Pa. 
MARR, Phineas Barber (I783)
Robert Augustus Murdock, son of William Murdock,was born at Fort Augusta. He was the first white male child born in Northumberland county. In 1799 he married Mary Fisher, of Chillisquaque, a daughter of William Fisher, one of the early Chillisquaque settlers, who had obtained a patent from the proprietaries in 1774 for a tract along Chillisquaque creek. This tract he afterward sold to Samuel Bond and in 1790 bought 241 1/2 acres for 540 pounds, known at the present time as the Frederick and Rissel farms.

William Fisher was second lieutenant in the Northumberland county militia organized in 1777. He also filled various township offices and was one of the original subscribers to the Chillisquaque Presbyterian Church. He died in 1794. He was a native of Cumberland county, as was also his wife Mary, daughter of Alexander Murray, of Cumberland county.

Robert A. Murdock continued to live on part of the Fisher farm, where he followed his trade, that of cabinetmaker, to the time of his death, in 1845. He took an active interest in polities and filled various township offices. In 1834 he, with a number of other Chillisquaque men, vigorously protested against the removal of the public deposits from the Bank of the United States. His wife, Mary Fisher Murdock,died in 1857. They were the parents of nine children. 
MURDOCK, Robert Augustus (I6438)
Roswell was a physician and practiced in severalcounties in Central Pennsylvania.  He was a surgeon in the Civil War andwas captured at Chickamauga.  After the war he located at McClure,Pennsylvania. 
ROTHROCK, Roswell R. (I4584)
Samuel Bond (1754-1838) emigrated toChillisquaque in 1790 from Maryland, and who afterward became prominent inNorthumberland county politics, being commissioned justice of the peace in1797, and serving as county commissioner from 1806 to 1809, and as member ofthe State Legislature from 1811 to 1813, and again, representing Columbia countyin the Legislature from 1816 to 1818. Samuel Bond was a grandson of Sir RichardBond, of England. 
BOND, Samuel (I6447)
Samuel J. married Rosanna (McClester) Jordan, the latter a daughter of Alexander McClester, a native of Aberdeen, Scotland. Born about 1764, he lived at Jaysburg (now a part of the city of Williamsport,Lycoming Co., Pa.) for a number of years. He was a boatman and pilot by occupation, and is mentioned by Tunison Coryell as one ofthe first to introduce sails in the navigation of the Susquehanna. About the year 1802 he removed with his family to Milton, where he owned canal boats and continued to follow the business. Mr. Jordan died at Milton July 27, 1851, aged eighty-seven, years, ten months, and his wife died Aug. 29, 1840, aged seventy-three years, ten months, fifteen days. They are buried at Milton. Mr.and Mrs. Jordan were the parents of three children: Alexander, William andSamuel D. 
JORDAN, Samuel J. (I6466)
This church and cemetery are now on the grounds of the Allenwood Federal Penitentiary. In addition to the gravestone, there is a Revolutionary War Marker - Private, Pa. Militia. 
HAMMOND, James Jr. (I7178)
THOMAS AUGUSTUS MURDOCK, son of Thomas Murray Murdock, was born in Milton June 20, 1847. After attending the Milton Academy for a time he learned telegraphy and went to work for the Pennsylvania Railroad Company in 1864, and was with that company continuously to the time of his death, Dec. 3,1909, a period of nearly forty-six years. From 1866 to 1872 he was located in Sunbury, when he was made station agent at Milton, which position he filled for twenty years; after which he was supervising agent of the division, the position which he held at the time of his death.

Mr. Murdock was a staunch Republican, but the only office he ever held was an appointment from the judge as school director in 1891. He was a member of the Presbyterian Church and while living in Sunbury was superintendent of the Sunday school. He was retiring in disposition and was a well informed man and pleasing conversationalist. He was a member of the International Association of Ticket Agents. He founded the Milton Circle of the Protected Home Circle and was its treasurer for many years.
In 1870 Mr. Murdock married Margaret L. Gray, daughter of P. W. Gray, a merchant of Sunbury, Pa. P. W. Gray (1816-1894) was the only son of William M. and Elizabeth (Watson) Gray. 
MURDOCK, Thomas Augustus (I843)
Veteran's Schedule: Mrs. Margaret Montgomery, widow of Ralph Boyle Montgomery. Mrs. Montgomery knows nothing of the fate of her husband, but thinks him dead. Her papers relating to his enlistment were burned at Milton, Pa. in the great fire of 1880. The report is necessarily very meagre. 
Margaret (I5722)
Washington Kreitzer was born at Milton, Pa. At the age of ten years he drove a canal team and considered himself a man. He was very energetic and quite handy with horses. Later he drove a packet team and in winter a stage coach, also carrying the mail up and down the river for many years. Thus in various ways he accumulated in the course of a few years money enough to try a business venture for himself. He associated himself with Conrad Cares, under the firm name of Kreitzer & Cares, and engaged in the butchering business in Milton. Later he was associated with Charles Hoy in the same business. After a short time he sold out his interest and served as assistant for William P. Hull, dealer in coal and grain. He subsequently carried on the dairy business. He served two terms as street commissioner. During his last years he assisted his son, the subject of this sketch, in the grocery business. He possessed a strong constitution and was a hard worker; previous to the illness which caused his death he had often remarked that he had not paid twenty-five dolIars for medicine during his lifetime. On June 17, 1898, in his seventieth year, he died with dropsy. Catherine Lore, daughter of J. Lore of Iola, Pa., became his wife and survives her husband. She resides in Milton, aged sixty-six years. The following are their children: Mary Catherine, who married John Byres, of South Milton; John H., our subject; Elizabeth, who became the wife of William Cowles, of Muncy, Pa.; Abraham, who died young; Addie, who married Augustus Berger, of Watsontown; William Washington, now deceased. 
KREITZER, George Washington (I1115)
William Gray Murdock was born in Milton, Pa., July27, 1881. He graduated from the Milton high school in 1898 and after working several years in the office of the American Car & Foundry Company he attended Bucknell University and Dickinson Law School; was admitted to the bar in 1907, and in 1909 succeeded to the office of his preceptor, the late Clarence G.Voris, Esq. In politics Mr. Murdock is a Republican, and in 1910 was a delegate to the State convention which nominated John K. Tener for governor, and was a member of the notification committee. On May 16, 1911, he was appointed postmaster of Milton. He is a director and secretary of the Mountain  Water Company, and is secretary of the Milton Fair and Northumberland County Agricultural Association, and treasurer of the Protected Home Circle of Milton. In 1908 be served as worshipful master of Milton Lodge, No. 256, F. & A. M., and is the present scribe of Warrior Run Chapter, Royal Arch Masons, at Watsontown. He is also a member of Williamsport Consistory and Adoniram Council of Williamsport. He is a member of the Milton Lodge of Elks and of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon college fraternity. In 1908 he published a History of Freemasonry in Milton and in 1909 a History of the Brady Family.He has written a number of articles on local history and is a contributor to the "Pennsylvania German" magazine and the "Sigma Alpha EpsilonRecord". 
MURDOCK, William Gray (I6415)
William H. Marr, son of William and Mary B. Marr, born July 25, 1818, died May 24, 1894. He received his early education at the old Milton Academy, with James Pollock and Andrew Curtin (future governors of Pennsylvania), and later entered and graduated from Lafayette College. By profession he was a physician. When the Civil war broke out he entered the Union army as a surgeon. He also was interested in other lines and financially was very successful. He married Elizabeth Davis Baldwin, daughter of William and Mary Shaw Davis, of Limestoneville, Pa., and they had six children, of whom two died in infancy, the others being: (3) Mary Frances. (4) Alem died young. (5) James married Sarah Eyre, of Lewisburg, and had five children, Mary Frances, Helen, Edith, Canton and William. James Marr is a farmer of Prince George county, Md. His winter home is in Washington, D. C. (6) Frank S. married Elizabeth Buckingham, of Lewisburg, Pa., and they have children, Winifred and Judith. Frank S. Marr is a graduate of Bucknell University, was admitted to the bar and practiced law in Sunbury, Pa.; later formed an electric construction company, and has continued in different lines of electrical work, with headquarters in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. 
MARR, William H. (I788)
William Perry Brady was taken to raise by William Perry, who gave him four years' schooling as Perry had no children of his own. He then taught him to survey land. 
BRADY, William Perry (I7020)
William Price Marr was killed on the Pennsylvania railroad, while crossing the track near his home. He was in his nineteenth year, and a student in his sophomore year at Princeton College, New Jersey. 
MARR, William Price (I1748)
William Shaw Montgomery was born in 1809 on the homestead and he died in Milton in 1882, in his seventy-fourth year. He is buried in the upper cemetery at Milton. His wife was Jane S. Correll (or Caldwell), born 1808, died 1896. They were farming people, and he was a prominent man in his locality. He had considerable valuable land, which he superintended. His home was in Lewis township. His children were: David C. lived in Minnesota several years and later in Colorado, where he died; Margaret married Capt. James A. Brison; Robert C. ; Oliver P., born in 1839, lived on the homestead and there died in 1880; Edward is a resident of Grand Rapids, Michigan. 
MONTGOMERY, William Shaw (I5248)
94 a member of the State militia, with the rank of brigadier general. He enlisted in the U.S. Army in 1817 as a lieutenant. HAMMOND, Gen. Robert Hanna (I6968)
95 It may have been mumps or chicken pox, both of which can cause hearing loss. CHAPIN, Benneville Haag (I1509)
96 JACOB FETTER, lumber dealer and proprietor of a planing mill, was born in Sunbury, Pennsylvania, December 29, 1836, son of Samuel and Mary (Wise) Fetter, natives of Cumberland county, this State. His father was a carpenter by trade and moved to Sunbury in 1832. He was captain of a militia company and was familiarly known as Captain Fetter. His wife, Mary Wise, was born, September 23,1802, and died in 1879, while he was born, February 18, 1798, and died in 1887. They reared a family of six children, four of whom are living: Henry G., a retired photographer of Peru, Indiana; Rebecca, wife of Gideon Conrad, of Purdytown; Jacob, and James H., who resides in Peru, Indiana. Our subject was reared in Sunbury and received a common school education. He learned the carpenter trade, which he followed from 1854 to 1880, when he removed to Milton and in 1881 established his present business. In 1860 he was married to Jane Ann Gossler, daughter of Samuel Gossler, of Sunbury. To this union were born two children: William G., who married October 20, 1887, Margaret B. Kremer, a daughter of Daniel Kremer of Philadelphia, and James Herbert; both of these sons are engaged in business with their father. In 1865 he went out as a corporal of the Seventy-fourth PennsIvania Volunteers. He is a member of Sunbury Lodge, No. 22, F. & A. M., is a Republican, served nine years as school director of Sunbury, and with his family belongs to the Lutheran church of Milton. FETTER, Jacob (I105)
97 "They began to move on Guy's Gap on the 27th of June, 8 am. The 7th Pennsylvania along with the 4th US and another company led the charge. The rebels were soon overtaken and the union took about 500 prisoners and four pieces of heavy artillery. The town of Milton suffered a loss on the 28th, when First Lt. Amos B Rhoads, Co. B of the 7th Pennsylvania Cavalry, was killed in the charge on the battery at Shelbyville. Amos's wife was not happy with the way her husband's remains were handled, and complained to the officers of the regiment.

When Amos was killed, it was late in the afternoon and the company did not have time to bury him. They employed an undertaker at Shelbyville to wash and dress the body and bury him. They could not send his body home at that time. Charles could not attend the burial himself due to the overwhelming number of prisoners and other duties he had to attend to since he was Provost Marshal. He had a hard time as Provost Marshal of the town of Shelbyville, as the men were imposed to plunder what they could. He sent Major Davis, Capt. Andress and Capt. Garrett to attend to the burial of all the dead. Charles was greatly upset to hear the family had such bad impressions about the way things were handled and hoped his mother would explain things to them." 
RHOADS, Lt. Amos B. (I3045)
98 (listed as Abraham) CADWALLADER, Abel (I1167)
99 (this was part of Columbia Co. in 1830; Montour Co. did not yet exist) CADWALLADER, Abel (I1167)

Abraham Fretz (Deacon), born in Bedminster Twp., Bucks Co., Mar. 30, 1769, died Mar. 7, 1844. Married Magdalena Kratz (daughter of John Kratz, of Hilltown), Apr. 30, 1793. She was born Aug. 30, 1776, died Jan. 9, 1840. He lived and died on the Old Fretz homestead, in Bedminster Twp. The farm consisting of about 255 acres he inherited from his father. He was an honest, upright citizen, a conscientious Christian, and much esteemed by the community in which he lived. It is related that while he was working in the field one day, a man rode up, and seeing his fine cows, wanted to buy one, but he did not want to sell. The man however insisted and asked him to set a price. He then thought that if he should ask double what the cow was worth, the man would leave without buying. But contrary to his expectation, the man laid down the money and drove the cow off. After the man was gone, he talked the matter over with his wife, and they decided it was "usury." So he mounted a horse, rode after the man, and gave him back half of the money, saying, "I don't want to be damned for a cow." He and his wife were members of the Mennonite church at Deep Run, of which he was for many years a deacon. Children: Anna, Rebecca, Jacob, Christian, John, Isaac, Martin, Elizabeth, Barbara, Abraham. 
FRETZ, Abraham (I1282)

      «Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 28» Next»