Matches 251 to 300 of 1,390

      «Prev «1 ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 28» Next»

 #   Notes   Linked to 
251 History of Northumberland Co., PA 1876: Charles and Thomas Comly conducted business many years in their store on the east side of Front street above the bridge on the lot immediately below that occupied by the Methodist church. They had bought the business from James Moodie, who was a dealer in grain and stock. COMLY, Charles (I238)
252 History of Northumberland Co., PA 1876: On a back lane, now known as Elm street, stood two distilleries, owned by Moses Teas and Samuel Teas, with a large storage-building belonging to each.

Bell's History of Northumberland Co., PA page 549: Moses Teas, distiller, was a man of social proclivities, dignified in manner, interesting in conversation, and the owner of a good library. His most intimate associates were George Eckert and George Calhoon; the trio were bachelors. Samuel Teas, brother to Moses, was associated with him in business.

Bell's History of Northumberland Co., PA page 558: Five distinct distilling establishments were in operation at Milton within a few years after the founding of the town. Moses and Samuel Teas, either in partnership or individually, had two, one of which was situated on Elm Street at the south side of Limestone run, and the other on the opposite side of that stream a little farther south. 
TEAS, Samuel (I597)
253 History of Northumberland Co., PA 1876: On a back lane, now known as Elm street, stood two distilleries, owned by Moses Teas and Samuel Teas, with a large storage-building belonging to each.

Bell's History of Northumberland Co., PA page 549: Moses Teas, distiller, was a man of social proclivities, dignified in manner, interesting in conversation, and the owner of a good library. His most intimate associates were George Eckert and George Calhoon; the trio were bachelors. Samuel Teas, brother to Moses, was associated with him in business.

Bell's History of Northumberland Co., PA page 558: Five distinct distilling establishments were in operation at Milton within a few years after the founding of the town. Moses and Samuel Teas, either in partnership or individually, had two, one of which was situated on Elm Street at the south side of Limestone run, and the other on the opposite side of that stream a little farther south. 
TEAS, Moses (I2997)
254 History of Northumberland Co., PA 1876: Andrew Straub came there (to Milton), late in the year 1779. He was from the county of Lancaster, and, besides being a man of sobriety and enterprise, he was a capable mill-wright and miller - two callings most necessary to the well-being of new settlements. When he arrived, he found no buildings standing there. The houses and shops of the Hulings, as well as another strong log-house, which had been built after theirs, had all been burned, at the capture of Fort Freeland, in July; but there was a new log-house then in process of erection, (“logged up to the square,") on the lot, now corner of Water street and Broadway. This building stood until it was burned in the fire of May 4th, 1876. Andrew Straub at once set about building a house for his family. It was a log structure, and stood on or near the site now occupied by the Milton National Bank. This, however, was intended only as a temporary shelter, and soon thereafter he built a larger house, with stable in connection - in the German way - on the west side of the present Filbert street. There he lived until 1793, when he removed to his new house, on the rear side of his farm - near the property now owned by Isaac Marsh, 'at the east end of' Centre street - and there he remained till the time of his death, August, 1806.

Meanwhile, about 1792, he had planned and prepared to build a mill to grind corn and wheat, for the subsistence of the settlers. He had dug a race-way from the easterly bend of Limestone Run to the river. The mill was to stand on the river bank, on or near the line between his own lands and those of James Black, right by the ruins of Hulings' blacksmith-shop, and where the engine-house now is. But, just then, there occurred an event which changed all his plans, and probably, to some extent, the future of the town; and it was in this way that it happened: Limestone Run, which then furnished all the mill driving-power which the settlement had, or could seem to hope for, came down in a westerly course, to the point where Mr. Straub had planned to divert the water, by means of his race, to his mill-wheels, and thence to empty it into the river. From that bend, it took a more south-westerly course, till it carne within a hundred yards of the west branch; but there, again, it capriciously turned towards the south, and, after a devious course in that direction for about two miles, it fell into Housel's Run, only a short distance above its mouth. Now, at the point where it approached within a hundred yards of the river, there was a low neck of ground, which, at high-water, was sometimes submerged, and which was, at all times, rather damp for cultivation. So the plowman, with an eye to better drainage, had thrown the furrows from the lowest part, leaving a deep depression there, and the result was that when, in a high Summer freshet, Limestone Run was swollen far beyond its ordinary bounds, the waters went tearing through the accidental furrow, and made it a permanent channel, closing forever the lower part of the stream to its junction with Housel's Run. Here was a new aspect of affairs; and Andrew Straub was not slow to profit by it. The flood had opened a new channel, and had, in a single day, made a better mill-site at the lower bend, than he had been able, with all his toil, to make at the upper one. So, without any vain regret, he closed the head-race, on which he had spent so much labor, and in a few months he had built, near to where the present stone bridge is, a log-mill, with wheel outside, and one run of stones, which gave the settlement its first real start on the road to importance, and which also gave to the town its name. For when the mill was completed, and in operation, the settlers of the surrounding country, glad to abandon the long route to the mill at Warrior Run, flocked in to Andrew Straub's, and called it "Mill-town," which afterwards was shortened and euphonized to the name Milton, at the suggestion of Mr. Straub's surveyor, when in the next year he laid out that portion of the town south of Broadway. Andrew Straub had, in partnership with a man named Yentzler, bought these lands from the insolvent estate of Colonel Francis, and afterwards, Yentzler becoming involved, his interest was purchased by Straub, who thus became sole owner. Settlers from New Jersey and the eastern counties of Pennsylvania came steadily in, and Straub's mill became so filled with work that, in 1794, he erected a new frame building, with three run of stones, and when all was ready, the water was turned from the wheel of the old log mill, into that of the new one, and the grinding continued without interruption. 
STRAUB, Andrew (I606)
255 History of Northumberland Co., PA 1876: The tannery of W. H. Reber is located on Elm street near Mahoning. The tanning business was started here in a small way, before the present century, by John Armstrong, from Montgomery County. By him it was sold to WiIliam Jordan, who in turn sold to Abraham Straub, about 1818. Twelve years later, Straub sold to Samuel T. Brown, and from him, it was purchased, in 1863, by William H. Reber, a practical tanner from Berks County. The tannery was burned October 7th, 1867. The present one was immediately commenced upon the ruins, and in the following December it was completed, and business resumed. The work is principally sole-leather, of oak and hemlock tannage. Annual production, twenty-two thousand sides. Hands employed, twenty-one. Tannery building, one hundred by seventy-three feet, two-story. REBER, William H. (I3393)
256 History of Northumberland Co., PA 1876: There was a log house of good size in process of erection and about ready for the roof, evidently intended as a farm house and probably built by the Black family of Sunbury, by whom that part of the town above Broadway was partly owned at that date. This house was subsequently completed, and in later years was owned by Dr. David Waldron. It stood at the corner of Broadway and Front street, and was destroyed by fire on the 4th of May, 1876.

At two o'clock in the morning of the 4th of May, in the present year (1876) there occurred at the north-east corner of Broadway and Water streets, a fire which, though not a very destructive one, as regards the amount of property consumed, yet should receive more than a passing notice, because it destroyed the oldest building in the town - the old log house, which, when Andrew Straub came to Limestone Run, in 1779, he found, not yet roofed, only "logged up to the square," and the only building of any kind in the place. This house, when burned, was ninety-seven years old, more than fifteen years older than Governor Pollock's old stone mansion, which stood adjoining, and which was unroofed and badly damaged by the same fire. The old house and a small building on the same lot, and both consumed, were the property of Dr. Waldron, who had no insurance. 
WALDRON, Dr. David M.D. (I3739)
For Thirty Years He Conducted the Flowering Mill on Lycoming Creek Above Newberry, Which Since 1898, Has Been Run by His Son, John C.
— Sketch of the Deceased.

John Good, the well known retired miller, who for years had been a prominent resident of Old Lycoming Township, residing at the old flouring mill on Lycoming creek, above Newberry, died at 6 o’clock Sunday evening. Mr. Good suffered a stroke of paralysis on election day in February, this year, but subsequently got better, and was up and about. Three weeks ago, however, he became worse, gradually growing weaker until the end came Sunday evening. He ran the old Good mill for about thirty years, which was before that conducted by his father, the late George Good. The funeral will occur from the house (illegible) taken on the 12:40 p.m. train to Milton, where interment will he made.

John Good was born in Northampton county, Pa., March 8, 1833, and was the oldest son of George Good, deceased. He received a common school education and was reared a farmer. In 1858, he engaged in the mercantile business in Snyder county, Pa., and subsequently removed to Sunbury, where he followed merchandising three iyears. He then engaged in the milling business in Clinton county, and after his father's death, he purchased the old mill property on Lycoming creek, above Newberry. He conducted this mill until 1898, when his son, John C., took charge of the business, since which time the subject of this sketch had led a retired life.

Mr. Good was married in 1858 to Sarah, daughter of E. Crawford, of Delaware township, Northumberland county. Mrs. Good is dead, and the following children survive: O. W. Good, South Williamsport; John C. Good, at home; James Good, who resides near Watsontown, on a farm; Harry Good, Newberry; Clara and Nellie Good, at home; Bertha, wife of Robert Rogers, Newberry; Elizabeth, wife of Mr. Neyhart of Milton.

Mr. Good was a Republican in politics, and had been a member of the Masonic fraternity for many vears. He was one of the respected, progressive citizens of Lycoming township, and had a host of friends. He was a brother of Abram Good, the well known miller, of Newberry. 
GOOD, John (I9348)
258 Malcolm A. Clinger

Malcolm A. Clinger, a resident of 227 South 4th St., Lewisburg, died in the Williamsport Hospital early in the morning of February 21, 1988. His death follows a brief illness.

Born August 12, 1902, in Milton, he was a son of the late Bruce and many (Angstadt) Clinger.

He had been an architect in Lewisburg for more than 50 years. In the early part of his career, he was employed by the architect firm of Cass Gilbert in New York City.

Mr. Clinger helped design the U.S. Supreme Court building in Washington, D.C., while he was employed by Cass Gilbert. He designed a significant number of residences, churches, schools, government buildings and other structures, throughout central Pennsylvania.

He was a Milton high school graduate, studied at Bucknell University, and received his degree in architecture from the Pennsylvania State College. He was an instructor in the engineering department at Bucknell University during World War II.

Mr. Clinger was a member of the Reformed Baptist church, Lewisburg; the Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity, and the Union County and Milton historical societies.

He was a former president of the central Pennsylvania chapter of the American Institute of architects and had served on the Board of Directors at the Packwood house and Slifer house museums, both in Lewisburg.

Surviving are three sons, David M. of Richmond, Virginia; Malcolm A. Jr. of Ridgewood, New Jersey; and James M. of Indianapolis, Indiana; and 11 grandchildren. He was preceded in death by his wife, the former Margaret Mansel in 1966. 
CLINGER, Malcolm Angstadt (I1780)
259 Mary C. Strine, 102, Milton

MILTON - Mary C. Strine, 102, of Milton, passed away onSunday, Oct. 3, 2010, after living a full and beautiful long life in the samehome since she was 5.
She was born Feb. 10, 1908, in Milton, a daughter of thelate Ralph and Grace (Klapp) Coleman. She and her husband, George W. Strine,celebrated 61 years of marriage before his death on May 31, 1988.
She was the last surviving member of her immediate familyand of her graduating Class of 1925 at Milton High School.
Mary worked as a florist in Milton at Small's and Enterline'sflower shops and greenhouses, retiring at the age of 88. She was a very activemember of the Milton Garden Club, and it gave her great pleasure to share herknowledge and skills in the art of arranging with her many friends. Her homewas always beautifully decorated with plants and flowers and was ever changingeven until her death. She was blessed with good health and a very alert mindand was very well loved and respected by all who knew her. She was a lifelongmember of the Milton Historical Society as well.
Mary was a lifelong member of St. John's United Church ofChrist, formerly of Arch Street, Milton, and now in New Columbia.
She thoroughly enjoyed caring for her home, her devotedcompanion, her cat, Pouf, and her beautiful gardens in her shady, inviting andpeaceful yard. She loved and cherished time with her family and friends. Shealways enjoyed a good cup of hot tea, and playing cards, at which she alwaysmanaged to be a winner. She loved owls, lighthouses, butterflies, hummingbirds,all things about nature and was an avid reader. She never met a stranger. Youwere her friend as soon as she greeted you. She was very honored to be paintedas part of the first mural in Milton, where she is seated in the trolley carriding as she did as a teenager.
She is survived by daughter, Georgia A. Brown and husbandMerrill, of Milton and Sarasota, Fla.; a son, Dick C. Strine and wife Gertrude,of Whispering Pines, N.C.; and daughter, Mary C. "Cathie" Bazarnicand husband Steve, of Cumberland, Md.; five grandchildren, Beth Stover andhusband Jerry, of State College, Jeri Schilpp and husband George, of Aquebogue,N.Y., Traci Quackenbush Viklund and husband, Mark, of Manhasset, N.Y., DickStrine II and wife Lorraine, of Bayport, N.Y., and Christie Bazarnic ofCumberland, Md., and State College; nine great-grandchildren, NicholasBathurst, Brett Stover, George and Daniel Schilpp, Whitney, Chris J. and KelseyQuackenbush and Coleman and Derek Strine; and numerous nieces and nephews.
She was preceded in death by one son, Charles M. Strine, andone sister, Ella Coleman Ratusnock.
Mary was an inspiration and the wind beneath the wings ofall who knew her, and she will be sorely missed by all.
Friends and relatives will be received from noon to 1Saturday, followed by a memorial service at 1, at First Presbyterian Church, 47Walnut St., Milton, with the Rev. Doulas Seagle and the Rev. Stephen Shirkofficiating.
The family will provide flowers and asks for memorials inMary’s memory be made to St. John’s United Church of Christ, 906 Old Route 15,New Columbia, PA 17856, or to the Milton Historical Society, P.O. Box 5,Milton, PA 17847.
Arrangements are under the care of the Shaw Funeral Home,400 N. Front St., Milton.
Source: The Daily Item, Sunbury, PA 
COLEMAN, Mary Catherine (I6559)
Apr 1775 - Mar 1776
Pennsylvania Battalion of Riflemen
Boston / Cambridge Campaign

29 Jun 1775
Pennsylvania Battalion of Riflemen
Lowdon's Company

18 Aug 1775
2nd Continental Regiment
Lowdon's Company

27 Aug 1775
2nd Continental Regiment
Ploughed Hill, Mass
Lowdon's Company

9 Nov 1775
2nd Continental Regiment
Lechmere's Point, Mass
Lowdon's Company

1 Jan 1776
1st Continental Regiment
Lowdon's Company

1 Jul 1776
1st Pennsylvania Regiment
Parr's Company

27 Aug 1776
1st Pennsylvania Regiment
Long Island
Parr's Company

29-30 Aug 1776
1st Pennsylvania Regiment
Covering Force, Long Island Retreat
Parr's Company

28 Oct 1776
1st Pennsylvania Regiment
White Plains
Parr's Company

1 Dec 1776
1st Pennsylvania Regiment
New Brunswick, NJ (I)
Parr's Company

26 Dec 1776
1st Pennsylvania Regiment
Trenton, NJ (I)
Parr's Company

2 Jan 1777
1st Pennsylvania Regiment
Trenton, NJ
Parr's Company

3 Jan 1777
1st Pennsylvania Regiment
Parr's Company

10 Jan - May 1777
1st Pennsylvania Regiment
Morristown Encampment
Parr's Company

19 Aug - 22 Oct 1777
Second Lieutenant
1st Pennsylvania Regiment
Mid-State, NY
Parr's Company; Detached Duty; Morgan's Corps of Rangers

14 Sep 1777
Second Lieutenant
1st Pennsylvania Regiment
Parr's Company

19 Sep 1777
Second Lieutenant
1st Pennsylvania Regiment
Freeman's Farm, NY
Parr's Company

7-15 Oct 1777
Second Lieutenant
1st Pennsylvania Regiment
Freeman's Farm, NY
Parr's Company

2 Nov - 10 Dec 1777
Second Lieutenant
1st Pennsylvania Regiment
Whitemarsh Encampment
Parr's Company; Returned To Unit

19 Dec 1777 - 19 Jun 1778
Second Lieutenant
1st Pennsylvania Regiment
Valley Forge Encampment
Parr's Company

28 Jun 1778
Second Lieutenant
1st Pennsylvania Regiment
Parr's Company

Dec 1778 - Jun 1779
First Lieutenant
1st Pennsylvania Regiment
Middlebrook Encampment
Parr's Company

8 Dec 1778
First Lieutenant
1st Pennsylvania Regiment
Captain William Wilson's Company

Apr - Oct 1779
First Lieutenant
1st Pennsylvania Regiment
New Jersey Campaign, 1779
Captain William Wilson's Company

15 Jul 1779
First Lieutenant
1st Pennsylvania Regiment
Stony Point
Captain William Wilson's Company

Dec 1779 - Jun 1780
First Lieutenant
1st Pennsylvania Regiment
Morristown Encampment, 1779
Captain William Wilson's Company

Apr - Oct 1780
First Lieutenant
1st Pennsylvania Regiment
New Jersey Summer Campaign
Captain William Wilson's Company

21 Jul 1780
First Lieutenant
1st Pennsylvania Regiment
Blockhouse - Bergen Heights
Captain William Wilson's Company; Wounded

25 Sep 1780
First Lieutenant
1st Pennsylvania Regiment
West Point Reinforcement
Captain William Wilson's Company

Dec 1780 - Jun 1781
First Lieutenant
1st Pennsylvania Regiment
Morristown Encampment, 1780
Captain William Wilson's Company

15 May 1781 - 14 Dec 1782
First Lieutenant
1st Pennsylvania Regiment
Southern Campaign

6 Jul 1781
First Lieutenant
1st Pennsylvania Regiment
Green Spring / Jamestown

6-17 Oct 1781
First Lieutenant
1st Pennsylvania Regiment

Jan - Jul 1782
First Lieutenant
1st Pennsylvania Regiment
Georgia Campaign

1 Jan 1783
First Lieutenant
3rd Pennsylvania Regiment
3 Nov 1783
First Lieutenant
3rd Pennsylvania Regiment
HAMMOND, Lt. David (I6961)
261 Milton Standard 7/29/1902
Moses Chamberlin
Death of One of Milton's Oldest and Most Revered Citizens. He Was A Grand Old Man.

His Death From Heart Failure Occurred at Half-Past Eight O'clock This Morning - A Remarkable Family History - Funeral on Thursday Afternoon at Four O'clock.

Moses Chamberlin, one of Milton's oldest and most honored and respected citizens, died at his home on North Front street, this morning at half past eight o'clock, in the 90th year of his age. On Sabbath evening he had an attack of heart failure, but yesterday he appeared to rally again.

During last night he began to sink and the end came at the hour indicated. His funeral will take place from his late residence on Thursday afternoon at four o'clock.

Mr. Chamberlin had a remarkable family history. He was born in Union county November 8, 1812, and has been a resident of Milton for seventy years. He was a son of Colonel William Chamberlin of Revolutionary fame, and was the youngest of twenty-three children. His ancestors were French Huguenots. His great grandfather left France about 1665 and settled in London.

After the great fire in 1666, the family removed to Ireland and about the beginning of the next century his grandfather with two other brothers came to this country and located in Hunterdon county, New Jersey, where William Chamberlin the father of the subject of this sketch, was born on September 25, 1786. During the Revolutionary War Colonel Chamberlin distinguished himself for his bravery and courage and his loyalty to the cause of independence. He commanded the Second New Jersey Regiment at the Battle of Germantown in October, 1777, and his oldest son Lewis, a half brother to the deceased, was killed in that engagement. Mr. Chamberlin has for many years enjoyed the distinction of being the only man living who had a brother killed in the Revolutionary war.

In 1791 Colonel Chamberlin moved from New Jersey to the "western country," buying a large tract of land in the Buffalo valley in Union county, where he lived until his death in 1817. Here Moses Chamberlin was born, during the second war with England and while the great Napoleon was making and unmaking empires in Europe. At the age of twenty he went to Lewisburg and served an apprenticeship of three years at the tanner's trade. He came to Milton in 1833 and engaged in the mercantile business and in 1835 was married to Miss Mary A. Correy, daughter of George Correy, of Milton. Mrs. Chamberlin died in 1838, leaving one child, a daughter, who was afterwards Mrs. Elizabeth Follmer, and whose death occurred at Watsontown a few weeks ago.

In 1840 Mr. Chamberlin married Jane H. Montgomery, daughter of John Watson, of Watsontown, by whom he had six children, four of whom survive him, William B. and Frank, of this place; James I., of Harrisburg, and Mrs. A.O. Furst, of Bellefonte. Mr. Chamberlin was actively engaged in business, milling and lumbering, until 1874 when he retired.

Moses Chamberlin was a remarkable man. Although a delicate boy, when he grew to manhood he possessed a wonderfully strong and robust physique. He had an unerring memory, was a close observer and a great reader. In spite of his four score and ten years his mind was as clear as the average man of forty. He was a most entertaining conversationalist and his fund of reminiscences and his view of public men and on public questions that belong to the nation's history during the first half of the last century, were most interesting. He was an independent thinker and always had an opinion that was based upon his own views and convictions. He was a life-long member of the Methodist church and a liberal contributor to the church and benevolence. His last gifts to his church were the cushions for the seats in the auditorium, and the new bell.

The death of this grand old man removes another link that binds the present with several generations of the past. The vast scope of this long life is brought to mind, when we recall that he has lived contemporaneous with twenty-one of the twenty-five presidents of our country and that for seventy years he has been an observing voter. 
262 Mrs. Martha Brown, Resident of County For 87 Years, Dies
Mrs. Martha E. Brown, 93, died at Mercy hospital early this morning following a lingering illness. A resident of Webster county for more than 87 years, she lived at 408 Fourth avenue north.
Mrs. Brown, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Lemuel Long, pioneer farmers, was born at Allegan, Mich. July 24, 1850. When she was six years old, she came with her family to farm in Webster County where they lived many years.
She was united in marriage May 18, 1876 to Webster C. Brown,a member of the firm of Shaw & Brown Ice company. Mr. Brown died in 1898.The possessor of a pleasing personality, Mrs. Brown was always keenly interestedin the welfare of her neighbors and friends. She spent much of her time in her flowergarden, which attracted wide admiration. Mrs. Brown was always an active memberof the First Baptist church.
Three sons, George L.Brown and Henry F. Brown of Fort Dodge, and Webb E. Brown of Sisseton, S. D., survive. There are two sisters, Mrs. Esther Bechtel, Pasadena, Cal. and Mrs. Mae Garrett, Fort Dodge; one brother, George Long also of Fort Dodge; and three grandchildren. Besides her husband, she was preceded in death by daughter and a grandson, Donald Brown.
Funeral Monday
Funeral services will be held Monday afternoon at two o'clock at the G. Marshall Young funeral home. The Rev. Vernon V. White, pastor of the First Baptist church, will officiate, with burial on the family lot in Oakland cemetery. Friends may call at the funeral home. 
LONG, Martha Emily (I4396)
263 OBITUARY: On the 3rd of October, in Watsontown, Northumberland Co., Pa., of bilious-intermittent fever, Martin F. Angeny, in the 30th year of his age. He was sick nine weeks, and bore his afflictions very patiently. He hoped to get well until the morning of his death, and when he knew there was no more hope his recovery, he said very little, but seemed to be resigned to the will of God. His last message to his wife was, "Tell Clara to put her trust in God." He was taken away in the prime of life. We hope he is resting "safe at home." ANGENY, Martin Fretz (I1236)
264 OBITUARY: A SAD DEATH. During the terrible fire which occurred in Milton, Northumberland County, Pa., on the 14th of May, destroying a large portion of the town, as may be seen by an account given in another part of this paper, there was a sad affliction visited on the family of ABRAHAM ANGENY, an uncle of ours, formerly from Bucks county. On account of his age and feeble health, he was probably not able to get out of the way and perished in the flames. For the benefit of his many friends, who are readers of our paper, we will add an extract from a private letter to us from William Shields, a son-in-law and his wife Kate.
"The fire began just at noon, and in less than three hours, the whole of the business portion of the town was in ashes. It began in the Car Shops, and a strong wind from the north swept the fire along with wonderful rapidity. It seemed sometimes to leap over a whole block. Not a single store was left in town. All the churches except two small ones were burned. The burnt district comprises about 120 acres. But the saddest part of all, to us at least, was that father lost his life in the flames. He was so terribly burned as to be almost beyond recognition. Had it not been for his crippled hand, and a single wristband of his shirt, we could not have identified him. Mother and Nerva (the youngest daughter), narrowly escaped without harm, by fleeing across the river. They saved nothing but Nerva's trunk and what clothing Bro. Hill could carry. Everything was a total loss. Bro. Hatfield's were burned out, but saved most of their goods. We think father must have been bewildered, or choked with smoke and heat. We found him only a little distance from his home. We buried him the next day. His age was 77 years, 6 months and 18 days. How strangely and sadly the changes of life and death sometimes come over us. This aged couple had lived together in wedded life 52 years, and as cousin Kate further writes "his age and feebleness made us feel for several years past that he could not be with us long any more, but we little thought that his death would come to us in so sad a way.
There is a verse of hymn that often comes to my mind; it is this:

"We know not what's before us,
What trials are to come;
But each day passing o,er us
Brings us still nearer home.,"

This is true, and that same kind Father, who has led us so kindly all through life's changing scenes, has promised to be to his children a very present help in time of need, and not to cast away those who put their trust in him; and he will also sustain these dear friends, in this sad hour of their affliction.
ANGENY, Abraham (I1190)
265 OBITUARY: ANGENY - Mrs. Leah Angeny, whose maiden name was Fretz, was one of a family of ten sisters who all lived to grow to womanhood and had homes and families of their own. The oldest of them lived to the age of over ninety-two years. Mrs. Angeny was next to the youngest of the sisters and outlived the others about twelve years.
She was the mother of eight daughters and one son. She leaves to survive her six daughters, thirty-nine grand children and forty-one great-grand children, who are living in nine different states of the Union, in Africa, India and Korea.
For the past eight years she has been a resident of Lewisburg, Pa., living with her son-in-law, William Shields. She was born in Bucks Co., of this State, on the first day of October, 1810, and closed her long life on the morning of January 25th, making her age 91 years, 3 months and 24 days. She was married October 21, 1828, to Abraham Angeny, with whom she lived more than fifty-one years. They celebrated their golden wedding in 1878. During the dreadful fire in Milton, May 14, 1880, her husband, Mr. Angeny, perished in the flames, being bewildered and losing his way after being directed to a way of escape when nearly surrounded by the fire. Within the last three years two of her daughters have celebrated their golden weddings, and they, with their husbands are still living. Very early in life she became a Christian and was identified with the Mennonite church, in her native county. After coming to Union Co., where she did not have the opportunity of a church of that denomination she united with the Lutheran church of Milton, and later that of Lewisburg. During the last months of her life she was a great sufferer, and often wished that she might be relieved and go to her rest. At the last the end came quietly and peacefully, and she is, without a doubt, enjoying the rest that remaineth to the people of God. Her burial took place on Monday afternoon - 27, in the Lower Cemetery at Milton. 
FRETZ, Leah (I1191)
266 OBITUARY: GEHMAN - Barbara Gehman died on the 16th of Nov., 1905, at the home of her daughter, Mrs. P. J. Ernst, near Olathe, Kan., of paralysis. She was 74 Y., 2 M., 17 D. of age. Her maiden name was Angeny. She was married to Jacob Gehman, Oct. 2, 1849. To them were born twelve children; two have gone before to meet her in the better land and ten are left to mourn their loss. Funeral services at the Brethren church were conducted by Bro. J. H. Christ. Text, 1 Cor. 15:26, "The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death." Her last illness was very short. About six years ago she had a slight stroke of paralysis, from which she never fully recovered, and the shock caused by her husband's death a few days ago resulted in another stroke that caused her death. Little did the children think when father was laid to rest that in just two short weeks mother would also be called away, but she was ready to go, having often spoken of her desire to go to the beautiful land above. Her life was a continued devotion to the Master. She was converted to Christ when young and became a member of the Mennonite church. She brought up her children in the fear of the Lord. The memory of her beautiful Christian character will ever be an inspiration to them. She was a loving wife and mother, friend and neighbor. None knew her but to love her. That she was held in high esteem was shown by the large concourse of friends who were present at the last sad rites. ANGENY, Barbara (I1234)
267 OBITUARY: On the 13th of January, 1866, near Milton, Northumberland Co., Pa., Leah, daughter of Abraham and Leah Angeny (formerly of Bucks Co.), aged 28 years and 5 days. She had been sick with the measles, but apparently recovered, returned home from her sister's and immediately took sick again; suffering greatly for three days, when the spirit left its clayey tenement. During her sickness, she spoke of death frequently, and said, "I do not think I shall get well this time, but feel resigned to the will of God."

On the morning before her death, her sister said to her, "I do not think you can live over today. Do you feel willing to die ?" She said, "Yes: death seems best;" then added, "But not my will be done, but thine, 0 Lord." A little while after another sister was standing by her bedside when she repeated the following lines:

"Shall we know each other there in that beautiful land?"
In three months, three new graves have been made, and three loved ones from the same household are sleeping there, but our Father knoweth best, and He doeth all things well. 
ANGENY, Leah (I1237)
268 OCCUPATION:  While in Berks County, before moving to Milton, Franklin was employed as manager of a casket store owned by Boyertown Burial & Casket Co.  He relocated to Milton and for 25 yrs. was a partner in  Seidel & Spangler Department Store, 32-36 Broadway (corner of Broadway and ElmStreets; the building later contained Broadway Hardware.)  Mr. T. C. Spangler was originally from Berks Co. also. Presumably he went to Milton to join this venture. According to son-in-law William Thompson, a local bank had a loan on the store. Frank visited the bank and was assured the loan was being renewed, but in fact at midnight of the same day foreclosed on the loan and padlocked the store at midnight. Frank became a tax collector thereafter for 2 years before he died. He had served as a school director, and at the time of his death, was treasurer of the local Y.M.C.A.  He also was a member of Milton Lodge No. 256, F. and A.M. His death certificate lists his occupation as a real estate salesman.

Courtesy of Tony Seidel 
SEIDEL, Franklin Alvin (I2359)
269 Philadelphia Inquirer March 10, 1898

Frightful Tragedy at Millersville in Which Two College Boys Figure
After Calling on Normal School Girls the Shooting Took Place

Special to The Inquirer
Lancaster, Pa., March 9 - A profound sensation was created in the village of Millersville, this county, this morning by a shooting affair, in which two lovesick students of Pierce Business College, Philadelphia, figured, and as a result of which one was killed by his own hand and the other seriously if not fatally injured. The victims are Roy Gehrig, a son of H. H. Gehrig, a wholesale beer bottler of Milton, Pa., and William B. Davis, son of John H. Davis, a coal operator of Mt. Clair, Schuylkill county. The former is eighteen years old and the latter nineteen years.

Last evening the young men left this city for Millersville. They secured accommodations at the Black Horse Hotel, and nothing was heard of them until 8 o'clock this morning, when Mrs. Frank Hoak, proprietress of the hotel, was startled by hearing pistol shots. Immediately afterward Davis, covered with blood, rushed into the bar room and shouted, "My God, I'm shot. My chum shot me." He had been shot by Gehrig three times, in the right wrist, in the left temple and the mouth. He received medical attention at once and later was brought to St. Joseph's Hospital, this city.

Upon entering the student's room Gehrig was found lying in a pool of blood on the floor, with a bullet hole in the left temple. He was breathing with difficulty and expired in a few minutes. Before the coroner's jury Davis testified that he, in company with Gehrig, called upon Miss Annie Holmes and Miss Alice Cummings, pupils at the Millersville Normal School, last Saturday. Another visit was decided upon and Gehrig, it is said, pawned a diamond pin in Philadelphia to raise the necessary cash. The two came to Lancaster yesterday, and went to Millersville in the evening to make another call on Miss Holmes and Miss Cummings. They returned to the hotel at a late hour and at once went to their room.

Gehrig was restless during the night and this morning when arising he drew a revolver and began firing on his companion, who was in bed. As Davis leaped out of bed and rushed from the room he saw Gehrig turn the revolver on himself and inflict the fatal wound. Gehrig left a letter in which he said: "We are dead in love with Alice Cummings and Annie Holmes, and not being able to see them, and they keeping away from us, we resolved to take our life. My name is Roy Gehrig, of Milton, Pa., and the little fellow is William Davis, of St. Clair. Please notify our parents at once."

Davis says he knows nothing of the note, and denies there was any compact to commit suicide. From what can be learned it seems that Gehrig, who was introduced to the girls by Davis, was desperate in love with Miss Cummings and that he and Davis had a dispute over her. Gehrig then, it is supposed, decided to kill Davis and then take his own life, and wrote the letter to make the affair appear like a double suicide. Miss Cummings is from this city, and Miss Holmes from St. Clair.

The jury rendered a verdict that Gehrig came to his death by shooting himself with suicidal intent, after shooting and endeavoring to kill his companion. Davis' condition is serious and the X-rays will be used to ascertain the location of the bullets. His father arrived at the hospital this afternoon and an affecting scene occurred between the two. Both of the young men were well known by the students and teachers at Pierce's Business College, 917 Chestnut street, this city, where Gehrig had been a student since last September and Davis since January. It was learned on inquiry there from one of the professors that Gehrig left the school on Friday, March 4, and returned the next Monday for his belongings. Davis had been a regular attendant up till 3:30 O'clock Tuesday afternoon, excepting a few days during last week, when he was home for a short vacation.

The teachers at the school said Gehrig, who is 18 years old, was a rather morose fellow, little inclined to frivolities, but rather given to keep to himself, Davis being about his only intimate associate. Davis, on the other hand, who was 19 years old, was said to have been of a rather lively disposition, but not romantic in the least. He was a bright fellow and stood well in his class. From further information obtained from a relative of young Gehrig, at the home of his aunt, Mrs. Nancy Overpeck, with whom he lived at 1344 Spring Garden street, during his stay in this city, it was learned he had spent several days of last week at St. Clair, at the home of Davis, who was there at the same time. Gehrig returned toward the end of the week and made all preparations for his return to his father's home at Milton, where he was to take a position with the Pennsylvania Railroad. He bid his aunt and relatives good-bye and left the city at noon, supposedly for his home, but it is supposed he and Davis had planned the trip to Millersville.

Gehrig, his cousin says, was never in that town before, unless it was last week, when he must have met the girls for the first time. His cousin says he can't believe Roy did the shooting unless the note proves to have been written by him, because he never had a revolver and was rather indifferent to girl's society. He was passably studious and did not care to run about very much. Davis had only been at Roy's aunt's house once and they were not, they said, favorably impressed with him.

From a picture the family possesses Roy was a finely built and strikingly handsome boy. His father is a very well-to-do brewer at Milton, where he has a fine residence. Roy was a favorite and only child, so the father had planned to get him the position with the railroad that he might live at home. Davis' father is a wealthy coal operator, who may be remembered to have lost by fire some new bunkers he built a few years ago. A. Guy Reber, employed in the Reading Coal and Iron Company's office in the Terminal, was a sort of guardian for young Davis, but could throw no light on the tragedy.

Young Gehrig's Father Notified
Special to The Inquirer
Milton, Pa., March 9 - A dispatch was received today by H. H. Gehrig, of this city, stating that his son, Roy, had committed suicide at an early hour this morning at the Black Horse Hotel, Millersville, where he was visiting his school friend, William B. Davis. Gehrig had graduated at the Pierce Business College, Philadelphia, two weeks ago and had always borne a good reputation. His parents are well-to-do people here. The father left with a local undertaker this afternoon to bring home the remains.

Philadelphia Inquirer March 12, 1898
College Student Has About Passed the Danger Point

Special to The Inquirer
Lancaster, March 11 - The condition of William B. Davis, the college student who was shot by his chum, Roy Gehrig, at Millersville, on Wednesday, is considerably improved tonight and the physicians think that he has passed the danger point, as the chances of erysipelas or lock-jaw developing are now very remote. His father returned to his home in St. Clair today and his mother took her husband's place at the son's bedside. Davis told a number of persons the story of the tragedy and his narratives are identical in every respect with his testimony before the coroner's inquest. He appears to be anxious to talk about the affair and has had to be checked for fear of overtaxing his strength.

Courtesy of Tom Robinson 
GEHRIG, Leroy (I4152)
270 Presbyterian Church.There was a considerable Presbyterian element among the early population of Milton and vicinity, connected with the organizations of Warrior Run and Chillisquaque, of which the Rev. John Bryson became the first regular pastor in 1789. After the erection of a school house at Milton he began to preach there occasionally, but it was not until the year 1806, ten years after these services were begun, that arrangements were made for their regular continuance. In this movement James P. Sanderson appears to have been the active spirit; he formulated a subscription paper for the support of preaching "every other Sabbath for one year from this date" (April17, 1806), and in this manner the sum of sixty-two dollars, fifty cents was pledged by the following persons: John Armstrong, John Brady, Calhoon & Cowden, John Chestnut, David Derickson, John Gillespie, Elizabeth Gallagher, Robert Gray, Edith Hepburn, John Hetherington, James Humes, James Hutchinson, Polly Housel, Jane Irwin, Samuel Jordan, Henry Kirk, James McCord, Arthur McGowan, James Miller, Isaac Osmond, William and Thomas Pollock, John Quin, Ezekiel and James P. Sanderson, James Seringer, Daniel Smith, Robert Taggart, Moses Teas, and Bethuel Vincent. CHESTNUT, John (I2767)
271 Presbyterian Church.There was a considerable Presbyterian element among the early population of Milton and vicinity, connected with the organizations of Warrior Run and Chillisquaque, of which the Rev. John Bryson became the first regular pastor in 1789. After the erection of a school house at Milton he began to preach there occasionally, but it was not until the year 1806, ten years after these services were begun, that arrangements were made for their regular continuance. In this movement James P. Sanderson appears to have been the active spirit; he formulated a subscription paper for the support of preaching "every other Sabbath for one year from this date" (April17, 1806), and in this manner the sum of sixty-two dollars, fifty cents was pledged by the following persons: John Armstrong, John Brady, Calhoon & Cowden, John Chestnut, David Derickson, John Gillespie, Elizabeth Gallagher, Robert Gray, Edith Hepburn, John Hetherington, James Humes, James Hutchinson, Polly Housel, Jane Irwin, Samuel Jordan, Henry Kirk, James McCord, Arthur McGowan, James Miller, Isaac Osmond, William and Thomas Pollock, John Quin, Ezekiel and James P. Sanderson, James Seringer, Daniel Smith, Robert Taggart, Moses Teas, and Bethuel Vincent. DERICKSON, David (I3938)
272 Simon P. Hullihen, M.D., D.D.S. Father of Oral Surgery, Was Born And Reared Near Milton

Two weeks and a day before Christmas, in the year 1810, the “Father of Oral Surgery” was born near Milton. His father, Thomas Hullihen, was of Irish descent and his mother, Rebecca Freeze, was of Pennsylvania German descent. There were three children. The oldest, Thomas, became a judge. The youngest of the three brothers was James, who worked with Simon and did much of the purely dental work in connection with Simon’s extensive oral surgical practice. In spite of physical pain and mental harassment Simon carved out a career where none had thought it possible. He died so beloved by his community that his death was declared “a public calamity” on the monument which its citizens erected for him. Seventy-nine years after his death the memory of his work was so vivid that a “Hullihen Day” was set aside at Wheeling’s Centennial Celebration. When Simon was a boy, while playing, he fell into a lime kiln in which the fire had only recently subsided. Before he could be rescued both feet were so severely burned that he spent two years in bed. During this time he became interested in reading the Scriptures and in the profession of medicine. At last he was able to hobble about on the balls of his feet with the aid of a cane. The local physicians allowed him to study their books and sometimes to watch their operations. His ingenuity enabled him to construct plaster models, for a shoe last that permitted him to walk with some degree of comfort. His interest in surgery and dentistry became an absorbing one, and before reaching manhood he had developed such dexterity in the extraction of teeth that all work of this nature was referred to him by the doctors of the community. He attended the Washington Medical College in Baltimore where he received a Doctor of Medicine degree in 1832, when he was 22 years old. He was especially interested in plastic surgery, and operative surgical procedures involving the face, mouth, nose, eyes and teeth. His most important contributions were those relating to operations for cleft palate, harelip and deformities of the lower jaw, the nose and the lips. After a year or two practicing in Canton, Ohio, and lecturing in the medical school in Baltimore, he went to Pittsburgh, but the next year he decided to move to Kentucky. Because of illness he was taken ashore from the steamboat at Wheeling, W. Va.

He liked the town so well that he located there. In April, 1835, he married Elizabeth Fundenberg of Pittsburgh. Upon Dr. Hullihen’s arrival in Wheeling, in defiance of the prevailing prejudice of the medical profession against an educated physicians having anything to do with dentistry, he announced his intention of specializing in the surgical treatment of the mouth and head. This announcement was greeted with censure and skepticism. In a few years he had so large a practice that people came to him from far and near. In time he came to be regarded as the foremost man in his field throughout the Mississippi and Ohio valleys. In 1843 the Baltimore Dental College conferred upon him the degree of Doctor of Dental Surgery, the earliest instance of such an award.

Shortly after Dr. Hullihen went to Wheeling a river lumberman became the means of establishing his reputation as an oral surgeon. After an operation which corrected a double harelip, straightened the nose and fitted a gold denture, the patient had a respectable appearance and could talk naturally. This visible and audible proof of Dr. Hullihen’s skill was apparent to all. In the last 10 years of his life he performed hundreds of operations for cataract, harelip, cleft palate, cancer, antrum and strabismus. In plastic surgery he remade noses, lips and mandibles. In addition he performed general surgical Operations, and he invented and perfected at least six surgical instruments: uvula scissors, compound root forceps, curved fine tooth forceps, spear-shaped scalpel, needle holder and dumb-bell shaped cautery. He gave these instruments, without thought of recompense, to the profession.

Though a very busy practitioner, Dr. Hullihen was quite a prolific writer, contributing articles to various journals. He forced universal recognition of his work until professorships of oral surgery have become a necessary part of every standard, medical-dental School. The first such professorship was established at the University of Pennsylvania.

Dr. Hullihen in a valedictory address at the Baltimore College of Dental Surgery told graduates “carry up then the standard of your profession, plant it upon the broad platform of medical science, claim for yourselves and your profession the same respect and importance awarded to other branches of the healing art; and that, too, upon the same ground, the ground of thorough scientific education.” One-third of Dr. Hullihen’s labor was a work of charity. No clergyman, no matter of what denomination, was ever charged for services, even though dentures were needed.

As a citizen of Wheeling, he was active in every progressive undertaking; a leader in civic enterprises of every sort; a member of the city council; a trustee of the Linsly Institute; originator of the first infirmary-hospital in the state; leader in the movement for the establishment of the Wheeling Hospital, where his portrait is preserved and honored as that of its founder. Farsighted, devoted to the relief of human suffering, he was a true humanitarian.

Dr. Hullihen was a member of various professional societies, and before these he read many important papers. In the prime of his life, and at the height of his usefulness he was stricken with typhoid-pncumonia and died on March 27, 1857.

In 1850, Thomas Hullihen was Assistant Burgess of Milton. 
HULLIHEN, Dr. Simon Peter (I344)
273 Strokes Fatal To Mrs. Cadwallader

As the result of several strokes suffered yesterday, Mrs. Louisa A. Cadwallader, 77, widow of Albert Cadwallader, died this morning at 3:13 o'clock at her apartment at Watson Inn. She had been in ill health for some time.

Mrs. Cadwallader was born on a farm between Milton and Watsontown on March 4, 1872, and was a daughter of the late Jacob and Emily Guffy Crawford. She spent her entire life in this vicinity.

The deceased was a member of the First Presbyterian church and as long as her health permitted was a regular attendant and active in the work of the church and its various organizations.

Four nieces and a nephew reside in this section. They are Mrs. Gilbert Voris, Northumberland; Mrs. William Dunkelberger, Mrs. Francis Brill, Sunbury; Mrs. E. M. Sears and Edward Crawford, Milton.

The funeral of Mrs. Louisa Cadwallader, who died last week at her apartment at Watson Inn, was held Saturday at 2 pm at the First Presbyterian church, with the pastor, the Rev. Harry W. McConnell officiating. Burial was in Watsontown cemetery.
Carriers were Matthew Piedi, Verus Ungard, J. Nyce Patterson, James C. Bryson, Ralph L. Smith and Earl W. Trick. 
CRAWFORD, Louisa A. (I9573)
274 Sunbury American, December 25, 1852


In Milton, on Thursday last (Dec. 16th), by the Rev. David Longmore, D. D., Mr. Hammond Cadwallader, to Miss Mary N. Murrray, both of that place. 
Family F1063
275 Sunbury American, July 27, 1867 (Saturday)

On Wednesday a man, who assumed the name of Edward Spencer, and who said his home was in Harrisburg, was taken to jail by the constable of Milton. He was charged, on oath of Albert Cadwallader, with committing a burglary in Cadwallader’s house, in Milton, early on Wednesday morning. He was caught in the act of robbing the house by Mr. Cadwallader’s mother, an old lady, (64) who seized him and cried for help, and had the prisoner secured. His person was searched, and a pair of gold spectacles belonging to the plaintiff were found. He confessed his guilt. 
HAMMOND, Elizabeth (I1172)
276 Sunbury American, July 27, 1867 (Saturday)

On Wednesday a man, who assumed the name of Edward Spencer, and who said his home was in Harrisburg, was taken to jail by the constable of Milton. He was charged, on oath of Albert Cadwallader, with committing a burglary in Cadwallader’s house, in Milton, early on Wednesday morning. He was caught in the act of robbing the house by Mr. Cadwallader’s mother, an old lady, (64) who seized him and cried for help, and had the prisoner secured. His person was searched, and a pair of gold spectacles belonging to the plaintiff were found. He confessed his guilt. 
CADWALLADER, Albert (I1175)
277 The Newport News, January 4, 1894: Mrs. Sarah Elizabeth Topley, died last Friday at her residence in Waynesboro, Franklin county, Pa. of lung trouble. Her maiden name was Gardner. She was born at Blue Ball, this county, December 16, 1832, and was the wife of the late Absalom Topley. She was a lady of many amiable traits of character. She is survived by four children - John W. Topley, of Westover, Pa.; Harvey Topley, of Kansas; Oliver M. Topley, of this place, and Miss Mary Topley.

The body was brought to this place (Newport) on Mail at 12:13 Monday noon for interment in the cemetery, after which a sermon was preached in the Lutheran Church by Rev. S.E. Smith. 
GARDNER, Sarah Elizabeth (I9401)
278 TheBroadway Nuptials
January 27, 1871

THE BROADWAY NUPTIALS - The wedding of Miss Katie Brown, (daughter of J. Woods Brown, and grand daughter of Samuel T. Brown) to Mr. A. Speer, of Passaic, N. J. took place on Thursday evening January 19th and will ever be retained in fond remembrance by the elite of Miltonian society, who had the pleasure of participating in the celebration of one of the grandest weddings that has ever taken place in our thriving town. Early in the evening the handsome residence of Mr. Cyrus Brown, was brilliantIy lighted up, and presented a joyous appearance, indicative of an "eve of glad meetings within." Ere the appointed time arrived for the nuptials, the reception room was thronged with bright and joyous guests, anxiously awaiting the "exact appointed hour" when the marriage vow would be pronounced. At seven and half o'clock, the party make their debut accompanied by their attendants. Solemn silence pervaded the entire company, as the Rev. Dr. Watson proceeded with the affecting ceremonies. After having pronounced them husband and wife he exhorted them in the most pathetic language, to be faithful to their promise, and prayed that God would bless their union. Having received congratulations the bridal party entered into tete-a-tete with their numerous friends. Genial smiles lit up the countenances of all. The rich voice of music and the voices of the old and young mingling together, impressed the mind withthe grandest idea of a "marry wedding." The bride, Mrs. Speer, was attired in a very handsome white corded silk with court-train, a bridal wreath of clematine and orange blossoms decked her clustering hair, and a white veil hung promiscuously over her shoulders, which gave her an appearance"beautifully fair." The bridesmaids, Miss Lucia Willetson, of New York, and Miss Emma Krauser, of Milton were attired in white dresses, Miss Willetson's being trimmed with ruffles and knots of scarlet flowers and a spray of scarlet flowers adorned her hair. Miss Krauser's hair was ornamented with a spray of blue flowers, her dress being trimmed with ruffles and knots of blue ribbon. The young ladies looked particularly handsome, and made an attractive appearance. Mr. A. Speer,and his grooms-men, Messrs. Post and Kip, of Passaic, N. J., being dressed in the height of fashion, looked extremely well. The apparel worn by many of the other guests was very handsome, and added greatly to the gaiety of the occasion. Silks rustled against silks, and the many beautifully contrasting colors presented to the eye a miniature of fashion seldom seen in our borough. The presents were numerous, beautiful and very costly, and will ever remind the recipients of the happiness of joyous hours. At nine o'clock the party repaired to the dining room, where a splendid collation was in readiness. The tables were laden with innumerable delicacies - everything palatable that the heart could wish for had been provided. The rich repast having been partaken of, the voluptuous strains of music announced a merry time for the remainder of the evening. Smiling faces indicated happy hearts, and the noise of the light fantastic toe, proclaimed the dance progressing. Gaily o'er the Brussels flitted many a light heart, seemingly enraptured with joy and pleasure.

"Soft eyes looked love to eyes
Which spake again
And all went merrily on"
Enjoyment sparkled in the eyes of old and young - indicating that all present were highly gratified with the evening's entertainment. At two o'clock the happy pair took their departure for Washington City, with the best wishes of their numerous friends. Suffice it to say, that ere the morning dawned, "quiet reigned throughout the house", the guests having departed with mingled emotions of joy and pleasure. 
Family F2450
Milton’s Oldest Resident Passed Away on Saturday Afternoon.
Forty Years Ago Was the Town’s Leading Business Man – Enjoyed an Extensive Acquaintanceship With Prominent Men – Was a Close Observer and a Fine Conversationalist – Funeral on Tuesday Afternoon.

  Col. Thomas Swenk, Sr., the oldest resident of Milton, died at his home on South Front Street, on Saturday afternoon shortly after three o’clock, in the ninety-second year of his age. He has been in declining health for the past year or two, but previous to that time was possessed of a wonderfully clear and vigorous mind and constitution.  He is survived by his wife, who has shared his joys and sorrows for over fifty-seven years, and two sons, Thomas, Jr., and Henry C., both of whom reside in Philadelphia. His funeral will take place on Tuesday afternoon at two o’clock.  Interment in Harmony cemetery. 

Thomas Swenk, Sr., was born at Trappe, Montgomery county, on February 3, 1812 and was next to the oldest in a family of nine children. In 1824 the family moved to Milton, the trip being made overland in an old-fashioned Conestoga wagon, which carried the family and their household belongings. This was before the days of railroads and there were no canals in this part of the country. His father was a hatter and rope maker and carried on the latter business for many years after coming to Milton, which at that time was a very small village.

The subject of this sketch attended the public schools and secured a practical education, after which he was taken into the family and employ of the late Charles Comly, a prominent Quaker-Merchant and grain dealer. He rapidly developed keen business qualifications and perception and was soon able to take the general management and control of Mr. Comly’s extensive operations.

Early in the thirties he formed a partnership with the late Paul Mausteller, and embarked in the mercantile business, conducting a general store and dealing extensively in coal and grain, practically controlling the latter market along the West Branch Valley up to the time of his retirement from active business.

Grain during the early period of his business career was brought to Milton in the famous old Conestoga wagons from points as far distant as Bellefonte and Lock Haven, and scores of teamsters and hands were employed in handling it. Much of the product was exchanged for merchandise at the store, and he enjoyed a large and profitable trade until the advent of the canal and railroad, when changed transportation conditions caused much of the trade that had come to Milton to drift elsewhere.
Mr. Swenk was married in 1846 to Miss Catherine G. Sticker, who, as we noted above, is still living.
He was identified with most of the business institutions of Milton for almost a half century.  He was one of the promoters of the old Milton Bank, a charter member of the Milton National Bank and for over twenty years a Director. He was one ofthe organizers of the Harmony cemetery company and the Milton gas company, and was for twenty-seven years president of the Milton Bridge Company, the rebuilding of which after the flood of 1865 was largely due to his personal efforts.  While he was not connected by membership with any church, he was closely identified with the Baptist congregation. He was a trustee and contributed liberally to the erection and support of the church. He filled many positions of trust in Milton such as school director, auditor, etc., and served a term as county auditor.  These were the limit of his political ambition, although he took an active part in politics and voted for every Whig and Republican candidate for president from General Harrison to McKinley.  He received the title of Colonel as a member of the staff of Governor Pollock, of whom he was an ardent supporter and life-long friend. He was a strong supporter of the Union during the Rebellion, and made generous contributions in money and clothing to those who went to the front.
There is perhaps not living to-day in Pennsylvania a man who had personally met as many of the distinguished public men of antebellum days. He was a frequent visitor in Philadelphia, New York, Baltimore and Washington and often in the latter city was in close companionship withThaddeus Stevens, Sam Houston and John W. Forney. He often met Thomas H. Benton, Henry Clay and John C. Calhoun. He had a brother-in-law closely connected with Buchanan and through him enjoyed many pleasant chats with the sage of Wheatland. He was present and listened to many of the historic debates in the house and senate when the old gladiators were arrayed against each other on the slavery question. He was a very observant man and his wide acquaintanceship and close touch with public men and measures gave him a vast fund of reminiscences, that made him one of the most delightful and entertaining gentlemen to be found.
After an active business career of forty years he met with reverses which occasioned his retirement from commercial life. His losses during a period of three or four years previous to the centennial year were his severe misfortune and the one sad reminder in his declining days of the uncertainty that often attends homes, careful and conscientious effort.

Courtesy of Mark A. Swank 
SWENK, Thomas (I1004)
280 Washington (DC) Post, April 4, 1948 - Henry L. Fonda - Charlottesville, Va., April 3 - Henry L. Fonda, 50, retired financier, died here today at the Albemarle Hotel. He came here 27 years ago to operate an 800-acre stock farm, were he also raised thoroughbred saddle horses. Surviving is his aunt, Miss Martha McCleery of Charlottesville. FONDA, Henry Lawrence (I1024)
281 WILLIAM BRUCE CLINGER, treasurer of the Milton Manufacturing Company, in the borough of Milton, is one of the native young men of that place who have risen to position and substance through their own exertions. He entered the service of the Shimers, who control that company, in the capacity of typewriter, and the important work now intrusted to him has come to him as the reward of diligence and well directed effort. Mr. Clinger has spent all his life in Milton, having been born there Sept. 15, 1874.

Mr. Clinger is of the sixth generation of his family in America. John Clinger, the emigrant ancestor of his family, was born in Germany, whence he emigrated to this country about 1745, settling at what was then known as Chester Springs, in Chester County, Pa. He took up land in that vicinity and followed farming there the rest of his days. His wife’s maiden name was Sloyer, and it is supposed she belonged to the family of that name who came from Germany to America with John Clinger. 
CLINGER, William Bruce (I1778)
282 Written by Ruth Chapin Hill in 2009

Sarah was nicknamed Teddie. She was born in 1885, the eldest child of Hettie Haag and Clarence Augustus Chapin.

When I was a little girl, Mother (Ruth Young Chapin Hill) told me that Teddie had studied shorthand and typing as a young woman and worked as a secretary. (This is a very hazy memory and may be wrong.)
Many years later I learned that Teddie had had an affair, short lived I understood, with Lloyd Woodling. They eventually ran away to get married, couldn't find a justice of the peace, and gave up on the idea. That was the end of it. When Teddie discovered she was pregnant, she informed Lloyd Woodling. By that time, he was engaged to someone else. He offered to break the engagement and marry Teddie, but she refused. The baby was born at the home of family friends in Philadelphia on January 21, 1921. Teddie named him David L. Wilson.

David was raised in a foster home, served in the air force in World War II and Korea, and graduated from Penn State. He and his wife, also a Penn State graduate, had four children, 2 boys and 2 girls. Soon after his birth, he was seriously ill and spent time in Children's Hospital in Philadelphia. That may be why Teddie trained as a nurse at Children's Hospital.

Teddie did private duty nursing. Back in those years you registered with individual doctors and were employed to nurse their patients. Teddie was registered with doctors on the Main Line. There was a young Italian doctor who had married an Italian girl and brought her over to the States. They had a son. The wife was homesick and returned to Italy to visit her family and show off her son. (Teddie learned later that the wife never returned to her husband.) Teddie was hired to go along as nurse for the infant son. That was probably in the late 1920s.

They sailed for Naples on the Conte di Savoia, first class. Teddie thought Naples was fabulous. From Naples they went by train to Florence. Apparently the wife's family was well-to-do, aristocratic although not noble, and lived in a huge old palazzo. After a grimy train trip, the American nurse naturally expressed a wish to take a bath. The big elegant palazzo had no indoor plumbing for the bathtub. The servants had to heat water down in the kitchen, carry it up in buckets and pour it into some sort of tub. The elegant, austere family patriarch officiously saw to the filling of the bath, repeatedly swishing his hand through the water to check on its temperature and announcing when it was ready.
When it was time to leave Florence, Teddie traded in her first class return ticket, bought a third class ticket from Cherbourg or Le Havre on the Ile de France, and spent the difference in seeing Paris, including the Follies Bergere. My mother, her sister, was scandalized.

In the early 1930's Teddie accompanied an asthmatic boy to the southwest. It was thought at the time that the dry desert climate was good for asthmatics. They flew first to Albuquerque, New Mexico. On the flight, a motor of the plane caught fire and they had to make an emergency landing. Her patient saw no improvement in Albuquerque, so they went on to Tucson, Arizona, where Teddie stayed at least a year. As I remember, she didn't like the heat of the desert southwest.

At the end of the job, having saved her money, she flew down to Mexico on some small airline that had no terminal facilities. If you needed the "facilities" when they made local stops, you left the plane and went out behind a bush.

She stayed at a small inn in Mazatlan. The owners had a pet boa constrictor. One morning Teddie got up and found the snake resting in the shade of a tree. About a foot or so below its head there was a large bulge. When Teddie asked about it, the owners informed her that the snake had eaten the pet cat! There were no screens on the windows and Teddie's room was on the ground floor. She didn't sleep well, waking often expecting to see the snake slithering into her room.

Visiting us, she talked about the boys who dove off cliffs to retrieve coins. She talked about Popocatepetl, the mountain outside Mexico City. She talked about Lake Xochimilco and the floating gardens. She sailed from Veracruz to New York City. Mother and I went in to meet her ship in the spring of 1935.

Teddie nursed in the DuPont family on a number of occasions. Once, when I was quite sick and she came to visit, she had somehow inveigled her spoiled brat patient to part with one of his many toys and she brought me clay of some sort. At some time, an older female member of the DuPont family was driving in New York State, Staten Island, if I remember correctly. There was a bad accident and the elderly lady was in the hospital for weeks, too shattered to be moved home. The DuPonts did not trust the New York nurses, and Teddie was not authorized to nurse in New York State. Trusting Teddie, they hired her to oversee the licensed nurses in the hospital. Teddie admitted that was a difficult job, checking on fully competent nurses for the DuPonts.

A friend of Teddie's was a nurse for General George Goethals, after whom the Goethals Bridge on Staten Island was named. He was also the engineer officer who built the Panama Canal. The friend went on vacation, so Teddie took the job for two weeks.

Another friend, Esther Niedermyer (later her partner in the Chapin-Niedermyer dress shop), nursed Elliot Roosevelt's first wife when she was pregnant. She was an heiress and decided she needed care because she was "sick".

At some time in her career Teddie was governess to Christine Cromwell. There was a wealthy couple named Cromwell who had two children, a son and a daughter. The daughter, Louise Cromwell Brooks, married, divorced, went to France in World War I and was reputed to have been General Pershing's mistress. While in France she met and eventually married an officer on the general's staff, and became General Douglas MacArthur's first wife. They were later divorced.

The Cromwell son was James H. R. Cromwell. He married the heiress to the Dodge motor car fortune, Delphine Dodge. They had a daughter, Christine Cromwell. They divorced. Later, James Cromwell married Doris Duke, the "richest girl in the world", heiress to the Duke tobacco fortune.

Eventually the Cromwell father died and his widow married E.T. Stotesbury, a senior partner of J.P. Morgan & Co. and head of Drexel & Co., a multi-millionaire of that era. He was socially prominent and eminently acceptable in Main Line society. His wife was not! The story goes that old E. T. forced her acceptance through his clout in the banking world: issue and accept invitations or else!

Teddie entered the picture because James Cromwell and Delphine Dodge were divorced. Delphine had custody of their daughter most of the year. When Christine was with her mother she was actually cared for by a French governess, Ma'mselle. When she went for some shorter period of time to stay with her father, she actually went to live with her grandmother, Mrs. E. T. Stotesbury at Whitemarsh Hall on the Philadelphia Main Line. During World War II the treasures of the British Museum were evacuated and stored secretly at Whitemarsh Hall. The Hall no longer exists. In its place now is a housing development.

Mrs. Stotesbury did not like Ma'mselle, so when Christine came to stay, Grandmother got rid of the French governess and hired Teddie to serve in that capacity for the duration of Christine's visit.

There were many stories about Mrs. Stotesbury's silliness. Every morning Mrs. Stotesbury would hold court in her boudoir, stretched out on an elegant chaise lounge. The heads of all the departments would appear in order and outline their plans for the day. When it was Teddie's turn, Mrs. Stotesbury would hear her out and then assign whatever car was necessary for her plans for the day.

Evenings, when Mrs. Stotesbury went out, her personal maid would bring the appropriate wrap to the head of the grand staircase and hand it to the footman. The footman would carry the wrap down the stairs and turn it over to the butler. The butler would then present the wrap to Mrs. Stotesbury's escort, who would help her on with it. What a production!

Teddie did not stay long in that position. Christine missed Ma'mselle so desperately that she got sick. Her doctor finally insisted that Mrs. Stotesbury make peace with Ma'mselle and bring her back to care for Christine. Teddie left.

But before she left she was asked to return later and take the case when Christine had her tonsils out. Teddie refused. She said she was used to taking responsibility for the lives of her young patients, but she refused to take responsibility for the millions of dollars that Christine represented. That was all her doting family was interested in.

When the Dodge grandfather died, he left his daughter, Delphine, some funds in trust, but the bulk of his estate went to his granddaughter, Christine.

Hettie Haag Chapin died February 13, 1935. Teddie was executrix of her mother's estate. By 1937 she had retired from nursing and opened a dress shop across from the movie theater in Lewisburg, Pennsylvania, in partnership with Esther Niedermyer. After a number of years, Teddie gave up the dress shop, and Esther bought her out.

Retired in Lewisburg, she was known to have been a children's nurse. At some time someone came to her and asked if she would take on a case at the State Industrial Home for Women in Muncy, the state prison for women. A prisoner was due to give birth and they wanted Teddie to attend the birth and look after the infant until they figured out what to do with it. She accepted. Then she returned again when a second prisoner was due to give birth. Eventually she went to work at the prison as a warden.

Mother and I visited, and Teddie took us around. It was an open-campus arrangement and sat far back from the road with open farm fields all around. There were cottages, dormitory-like buildings, not particularly large as I remember. The rooms were pleasant, very much like a dormitory - bed, desk, chair - curtains, bedspreads, etc. - except, of course the prisoners were locked in at night. The inmates worked on the farms, canned some of the produce. In one basement, I remember, there was a large sewing room where some of the inmates made uniforms for prisons.

Teddie talked a lot about the inmates and the security measures. While there were no walls, the prison was relatively isolated and most of the prisoners were city girls. If one escaped, the state police would be notified and they would send cars to specific locations where the girls were likely to turn up. While Teddie was there, only one escape succeeded through sheer brazenness. A car drove up to the front of one of the cottages, the prisoner walked out and got in, and off they went! She was not recaptured, at least not before Teddie left.
Teddie was fascinated by the inmates, girls from such brutal backgrounds. Her stories were an eye-opener and an education for me. One inmate Teddie compared to Hedy Lamar, the movie star. She was gorgeous, in prison for every crime except murder. Another girl was convicted of having chopped up her sister's illegitimate baby. Yet another inmate, middle-aged and a teacher's wife, had become suspicious of her husband. She followed him one night to his little love-nest, and shot him dead. Her only regret was that when she got out of prison she would be too old to marry again.

There were riots, too. In one, Teddie was thrown down some steps and broke her wrist. It never healed properly, her hand was slightly angled after that. She resigned her position as custodial officer at the Muncy State Industrial Home on 8/12/1951. She had moved to Muncy by that time. From then on she worked at odd jobs, for a while part time in a gift shop. Mother and I visited that shop. Teddie was enthused about the odds and ends that were sold there.

Eventually Teddie gave up and moved to a Presbyterian retirement home. She died in 1963 at the age of 78. 
CHAPIN, Sarah Haag (I5330)
283 A passport application for his son Clare in 1921 says he is deceased. JOHNSON, Thomas L. (I6987)
284 About the year 1769, the three brothers, John, James, and William Murray, in company with their brother-in-law James McMahan and others, removed from Cumberland to Northumberland County, Pennsylvania, and settled on a tract of land of about a thousand acres, lying along the Chillisquaque creek in the vicinity of the present village of Pottsgrove, for which they obtained patents from the Commonwealth. MURRAY, John (I3569)
285 About the year 1769, the three brothers, John, James, and William Murray, in company with their brother-in-law James McMahan and others, removed from Cumberland to Northumberland County, Pennsylvania, and settled on a tract of land of about a thousand acres, lying along the Chillisquaque creek in the vicinity of the present village of Pottsgrove, for which they obtained patents from the Commonwealth. MURRAY, Col. James (I6128)
286 About the year 1769, the three brothers, John, James, and William Murray, in company with their brother-in-law James McMahan and others, removed from Cumberland to Northumberland County, Pennsylvania, and settled on a tract of land of about a thousand acres, lying along the Chillisquaque creek in the vicinity of the present village of Pottsgrove, for which they obtained patents from the Commonwealth. MURRAY, William (I6129)
287 About the year 1769, the three brothers, John, James, and William Murray, in company with their brother-in-law James McMahan and others, removed from Cumberland to Northumberland County, Pennsylvania, and settled on a tract of land of about a thousand acres, lying along the Chillisquaque creek in the vicinity of the present village of Pottsgrove, for which they obtained patents from the Commonwealth. MCMAHAN, Maj. James (I6132)
288 Abraham and Leah Fretz Angeny lived on property known as Angeny's Mill, in Bedminster Twp. (Bucks Co., PA) until the spring of 1848, when they moved to Union Co., PA., and later (1859) to Milton, Northumberland Co., PA, where Abraham perished in the great fire of Milton in 1880, in his 78th year. He was a carpenter and cabinet-maker by trade, and he and Leah were Mennonites. Leah was the daughter of Martin Fretz, of Hilltown.

Source: A Brief History of Jacob Wismer, by Rev. A. J. Fretz, 1893, Mennonite Publishing Co., Elkhart, IN 
ANGENY, Abraham (I1190)
289 Abraham Schroyer was a skilled artisan, and established one of the first piano factories in America at Milton, Pennsylvania. Most of the product of this establishment was shipped by water to Philadelphia, where the instruments were placed on exhibition and sold. His granddaughter, now Mrs. George Evans, who was an accomplished musician, often accompanied the shipment of goods to that city, where her skill was employed in exhibiting the pianos to best advantage. SCHREYER, Margaret (I2938)
290 ABRAHAM STRAUB was born in Milton, Northumberland county, December 9, 1794, son of Andrew Straub and twin brother of Isaac Straub. He received the ordinary education of that period, learned the tanner's trade, and carried on a tannery in Milton until 1824, at which time he sold out and joined his brother Isaac in what were known as the Birchwood Mills, on the island opposite Milton, where they were engaged in the lumber and milling business a number of years.

They invented and introduced into their mill the first reaction water wheel probably ever used in the State. They also had a railroad track to their mill and yard. In 1832 and 1883 they erected the first bridges over the West Branch of the Susquehanna at Milton, which were carried away by the flood of March 17, 1865.

In 1834 Isaac retired from the firm and went to Lewistown, where he engaged in merchandising. Abraham continued to operate the mills until 1840, when be took down the grist mill and moved it to Muddy Run, two miles above Milton, where he continued the milling business until 1853, when he sold the same and erected a bridge across the Susquehanna river at Uniontown. After the completion of this undertaking he turned his attention to the invention of a centrifugal pump.

He was a self-educated surveyor, and became one of the foremost in this section of the State. November 29, 1821, he married Nancy Balliet, whose father was a native of Lehigh county, Permsylvania, and a settler in Limestone, Montour county. They were the parents of the following children: John Andrew, deceased; Ambrose White, who died in infancy; Stephen Daniel, of Hagerstown, Maryland; Elizabeth Caroline, wife of Rev. William Goodrich; Clement Calvin, of Milton; Ambrose White, of Philadelphia; William Alfred, of Cumberland, Maryland, and Mary Louisa, deceased. He died, August 21, 1864.

Isaac Straub left Lewistown in 1838 and went to Cincinnati, where he died, December 17, 1875. Christian Straub taught school and engaged in merchandising in Schuylkill county, where he served as sheriff; he was also elected to the Pennsylvania legislature and to Congress, but died before the expiration of his term, and was buried in the congressional burying ground at Washington, D. C. 
STRAUB, Abraham (I458)
291 According to family historian Charles Datesman Weidenhamer and the Pennsylvania Marriage Index, Charles L. HAUSE and Bertha S. GIBSON were married 16 Jan 1902 in Northumberland County, PA.

Victoria Klein 
Family F1256
292 According to family historian Charles Datesman Weidenhamer, Charles HOTTENSTINE died 8 Mar 1891 in Milton, Northumberland County, PA.

Victoria Klein 
HOTTENSTINE, Charles (I1720)
293 According to family historian Charles Datesman Weidenhamer, Ellen Elizabeth SMITH, daughter of George W. and Lydia SMITH, was born 3 Jan 1880 in Pennsylvania. She married on 27 Jan 1901 in Northumberland County, PA to George Stitzel WEIDENHAMER, son of William Daniel WEIDENHAMER and Margaret KUTZ. George was born 19 Feb 1876 in Limestoneville, Montour County, PA and died 27 Mar 1940. Both are buried at Harmony Center, Milton, Northumberland County, PA. Ellen SMITH WEIDENHAMER died in 1977.

Victoria Klein 
SMITH, Ellen Elizabeth (I8853)
294 According to family historian Charles Datesman Weidenhamer, Ellen Elizabeth SMITH, daughter of George W. and Lydia SMITH, was born 3 Jan 1880 in Pennsylvania. She married on 27 Jan 1901 in Northumberland County, PA to George Stitzel WEIDENHAMER, son of William Daniel WEIDENHAMER and Margaret KUTZ. George was born 19 Feb 1876 in Limestoneville, Montour County, PA and died 27 Mar 1940. Both are buried at Harmony Center, Milton, Northumberland County, PA. Ellen SMITH WEIDENHAMER died in 1977.

Victoria Klein 
WEIDENHAMER, George Stitzel (I10354)
295 According to family historian Charles Datesman Weidenhamer, Emanuel MAUSER was born Feb 1840 in Pennsylvania. He died about Nov 1887, based on the obituary of his mother-in-law, Susanna DREIBELBIS WEIDENHAMER from the Montour American of 8 Dec 1887, which reads "Our readers will remember the sad accident which recently befell Emanuel Mouser of Derry township which subsequently resulted in his death" and goes on to report the death of Mrs. Susana Weidenhamer, mother of Mrs. Emanuel Mouser. According to C.D. Weidenhamer, MAUSER's death was caused by "legs and body crushed in a threshing machine which caused his death."

Victoria Klein 
MAUSER, Emanuel (I10424)
296 According to family historian Charles Datesman Weidenhamer, Lydia Maye MAUSER, daughter of Emanuel MAUSER and Mary Elizabeth WEIDENHAMER, was born 8 Jun 1873 in Montour County, PA and died 9 Nov 1957 in Shamokin, Northumberland County, PA. According to her death certificate she is buried in Charles Evans Cemetery, Berks County, PA.

Victoria Klein 
MAUSER, Lydia Maye (I9809)
297 According to family historian Charles Datesman Weidenhamer, Mary Elizabeth WEIDENHAMER was first married to John Robbins SHEEP; they had two children, Katherine W. SHEEP (dates unknown) and Edward Jay SHEAP (1863-1916, went into the feed business in Michigan). She second married on 21 Oct 1871 in Turbutville, Montour County, PA to Emanuel MAUSER. Mary Elizabeth WEIDENHAMER was born 22 Mar 1839 in Limestoneville, died 21 Oct 1912 in Milton, Northumberland County, PA, and is buried with Emanuel MAUSER in Washingtonville Lutheran Church Cemetery, Montour County, PA.

Victoria Klein 
WEIDENHAMER, Mary Elizabeth (I10423)
298 According to family historian Charles Datesman Weidenhamer, Veronica KAUFFMAN HOTTENSTINE died 30 May 1877 in Milton, Northumberland County, PA. Both she and Charles HOTTENSTINE are buried in Paradise Church Cemetery, Northumberland County, PA.

Victoria Klein 
KAUFFMAN, Veronica (I1721)
299 After graduating from Bucknell University (B.S., Bacteriology, 1928; Sigma Chi) James worked as a state inspector for the Pa. Dept. of Health. In 1930 he married and moved to Brooklyn, New York in 1931, where he worked for Borden Dairies in the quality control laboratory. He and wife Thelma lived in Brooklyn, NY, where first son James Stamm Seidel was born in 1934. Their brownstone walk-up appartment was very close to Prospect Park, where James and Thelma spent a lot of time. By 1940, James and Thelma and son James moved to Bellmore, Long Island. In 1941, after the birth of son Anthony, James returned to Milton, PA and went into partnership with his brother, Richard, and opened a dairy on Elm Street (Seidel's Dairy), buying the Maurice Krick Serve-U-Right Dairy. In 1950, they sold it to Penn Supreme Dairies of Harrisburg. James joined Chef Boy-Ar-Dee as the head of the quality control laboratories and later as technical director (in1960) until his death.

Courtesy of Tony Seidel 
SEIDEL, James Francis (I2362)
300 After the formation of Chillisquaque and Derry townships Turbut included, in addition to its present area, the townships of Delaware and Lewis and a portion of Montour county (Limestone township); the taxable inhabitants of this territory in 1787 included James, David, and George Hammond. HAMMOND, George (I1173)

      «Prev «1 ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 28» Next»