Matches 151 to 200 of 1,390

      «Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 28» Next»

 #   Notes   Linked to 
151 BIOGRAPHY: Leah Fretz, born Oct. 1, 1810. Mrd. Abrabam Angeny, Oct. 21, 1828. They lived on the property known as Angeny's Mill, in Bedminster Twp., until the spring of 1848, when they moved to New Columbia, Union Co., Pa. In 1859 they moved to Milton, Northumberland Co., Pa., where Mr. Angeny perished in the great fire May 14, 1880, in his 78th year. Children: Anna, Barbara, Eva, Martin, Leah, Rachel,
Abbie, Katharine, Minerva. 
FRETZ, Leah (I1191)
152 Biography: F. L. Meixell was a producer of threshing machines. His business was located on the SE corner of Walnut and Mill (Arch) Streets. He was a machinist. By 1870 he was listed in the census as a pump maker. MEIXELL, F. Lewis (I2887)
153 Biography: In 1848 Thomas Mervine and White bought the foundry and machine shop established in 1838 by John Patton. In 1850 they were operating under the name White and Mervine. When White died in 1864, Mervine joined with John Lawson. They were trading under the name White, Mervine and Lawson. They were located on both sides of Mill Street (now Arch St.) from Mulberry Alley to Upper Market Street. By 1870 the firm was named Mervine and Lawson. The buildings were destroyed in the great fire in 1880 and never rebuilt. MERVINE, Thomas (I2885)
154 Biography: The E. H. trego Company bought the foundry of Joseph C. Rhoads, and produced various kinds of castings. The company was located at the SW corner of Arch and Locust Streets. By 1860 they had started to manufacture stoves. In 1875 the business was sold to Bickel and Bailey, who enlarged the buildings and increased the size of the steam engine. The business was burned in the great fire of 1880, but was rebuilt and continued as a foundry and machine shop until Bailey's retirement in the 1890s. TREGO, Eli Skiles (I2879)
155 Biography: The Northumberland, Union, and Columbia Bank, the first in the county and one of the earliest in the northern central part of the State, derived its corporate existence under an act of Assembly passed March 21, 1814. Daniel Montgomery, John P. De Gruchy, James Sanderson, John Boyd, Daniel Lebo, Jacob Dentler, John Dreisbach, Matthew Colvin, John Cowden, and Bethuel Vincent were appointed commissioners for its organization. Seth Iredell was president, and William Cox Ellis cashier; the banking house was on Front Street (*). This institution became defunct in 1817 or 1818.

Seth Iredell, merchant and miller, was an extensive dealer in grain and flour, and president of the first bank at Milton. He and his wife were Friends (Quakers).

A severe blow to the town was the failure of the Northumberland Union and Columbia Bank. After a five years' existence, and just as the citizens had come to regard it as one of the permanent institutions of the place. This occurred in 1820, and the charter was declared forfeited in 1823.

* The site was later the location of the Huff House hotel 
IREDELL, Seth (I1951)
156 Col. Daniel C. Follmer, born in Northumberland county June (or March) 9, 1786, was colonel of a militia company for many years and served with that rank in the war of 1812. He was a leading citizen of his day, and served one term as associate judge of Montour county. Farming was his occupation. He was a member of the Reformed Church, which he served as elder. His death occurred in the seventies.

His first wife, Susanna Deiffenbach, a native of Columbia county, Pa., died in 1836, and he subsequently married Rachel Grier. There were eight children by the first union, born as follows: Catharine, March 10, 1810; Conrad, June 20, 1812 (went to Kansas) ; Elizabeth, March 3, 1915; Margaret Ann, March 24, 1817; Mary, April 3, 1819 (married John A. Eschbach and moved to Iowa); Susanna, Nov. 18, 1821; Jacob Michael, May 3, 1825; William Henry, Dec. 1, 1828 (died July 1, 1866). By the second marriage there was one child, Martha Ellen, born Feb. 6, 1840, who died April 9, 1852. 
FOLLMER, Col. Daniel C. (I1890)
157 Courtesy of Barbara Hacker: Thomas Edwin Twist, Sr. was born and raised in Danville, PA of English born parents, but spent his adult life in Milton working as head of the pattern making shop at Murray,Dougal / ACF. He married Mary Ann Lynn, who came with her family from Londonderry, Ireland in 1870 when she was 3. TWIST, Thomas Edwin (I4738)
158 Courtesy of Barbara Hacker: Her father was Samuel Lynn and he went straight to work at the plant. My mother was told that when they first came they lived in a house on the banks of Red Hill directly behind the plant. (Murray, Dougal & Co.). Later they moved to 132 Center St. I am very familiar with this house as my aunt and uncle lived there when I was a child. When Thomas Twist and Mary Lynn married they first lived in the house on Filbert St. across from the train station and their three sons were born there. Later they moved to 27 Locust St. LYNN, Mary Ann (I4739)
159 Courtesy of Barbara Hacker: Thomas Edwin moved to Milton, where he worked his entire adult life at Murray, Dougal & Company, which became American Car & Foundry. He was head of the pattern shop on Locust Street. TWIST, Thomas Edwin (I4738)
160 Courtesy of Frank Vattelana:
Residence: Union County PA
Enlisted on 8/29/1862 as a Sergeant
On 8/29/1862 he mustered into "D" Co. PA 150th Infantry
He died of wounds on 5/27/1864

He was listed as:
Wounded 5/5/1864 Wilderness, VA

1st Lieut 11/1/1863
Capt 3/17/1864 
STOUGHTON, Roland (I9308)
161 Courtesy of Frank Vattelana: Enlisted on 6/19/1863 as a Sergeant. On 6/19/1863 he mustered into "E" Co. PA 28th Indpt Infantry. He was mustered out on 7/28/1863. DAVIS, Carlton B. (I653)
162 Courtesy of Frank Vattelana: Enlisted on 9/10/1861 at Milton, PA as a 2nd Lieutenant. On 10/15/1861 he was commissioned into "I" Co. PA 101st Infantry. He was mustered out on 1/2/1865.

He was listed as:
Escaped (date and place not stated) (Escaped 4 times and recaptured)
POW 4/20/1864 Plymouth, NC (Confined at Columbia, SC)
Wounded 4/20/1864 Plymouth, NC
Paroled 2/27/1865 (place not stated)
Promotions: 1st Lieut 1/3/1862
He was described at enlistment as: 5' 10.7", light complexion, gray eyes, dark hair

Other Information:
Born: 12/6/1838 in Milton, Northumberland Co., PA
Died: 7/11/1914
Buried: Minersville Cemetery, Schuylkill Co., PA
After the War he lived in Mahoney Plane, PA 
BROWN, George Lawrence (I2863)
163 Courtesy of Frank Vattelana: He was a Civil War Union Army Officer. He was mustered in as a Corporal in Company G, 48th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry on October 1, 1861. He was promoted to 2nd Lieutenant on February 2, 1862, and to 1st Lieutenant on June 2, 1862. He was mortally wounded in the June 1864 Union army assaults at Petersburg, Virginia, and died of those wounds on June 23, 1864 at Washington, DC. POLLOCK, Lt. Curtis Clay (I6058)
164 Courtesy of Nancy Wells Moore McBride: He lived the last 2 years and 9 months of his life in Masonic Homes Hosptial. MOORE, Edward Ervin Armstrong (I2275)
165 David Hammond
Deed Poll to
George Hammond

To all people to whom these presents shall come Greeting. Whereas on application, a warrant was granted to me and in my name dated the eighth day of November one thousand seven hundred & eighty five, for 108 acres and one half of land on the waters of the Muddy Run, adjoining lands claimed by Robert Moody, Reuben Haines and others. Now know ye that for and in consideration of the sum of 106 pounds, lawful money of Pennsylvania to me in hand paid by George Hammond as well as other good services to me, by him rendered, at and before the sealing and delivery thereof, the receipt whereof is hereby acknowledged, have granted bargained sold released and confirmed, and by these presents do grant bargain sell release and confirm, unto the said George Hammond, his heirs and assigns, all my estate right title interest property claim and demand whatsoever of, in, to, or out of the said tract of land containing 108 acres & the usual allowance of six percent. Together with all and singular the rights, members of the appurtenances, thereunto belonging, and the revisions and remainders, rents issues and profits thereof to have and to hold, the said tract of land and premises hereby granted, bargained, and sold or intended to be with the appurtenances unto the said George Hammond, his heirs and assigns, to the only proper use and behoof of him the said George Hammond, his heirs and assigns forever, and the said David Hammond and his heirs, the said hereby granted premises, unto the said George Hammond his heirs and assigns against him said David Hammond and his heirs, and against all and every other person and persons whatsoever claiming or to claim by from or under, him, them or any of them shall and will warrant and forever defend the same. In witness whereof the parties do hereby set their hands and seals, this first day of November in the Year of our Lord 1800. D. Hammond [seal] signed sealed and delivered in the presence of us, Robert Giffen, Jn. Tietsworth. Received the day of the foregoing indenture 106 pounds being paid in full consideration on a beforementioned. D. Hammond ____ Jn. Tietsworth ____ Northumberland County. This first day of November 1800 personally came David Hammond before me the subscriber one of the Justices of the Peace for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, and acknowledged the foregoing indenture to be his act and deed and desired the same might be recorded as such. Witness my hand and seal this day and year.
Jn. Tietsworth [seal] Recorded the 29th day of April 1802. Jere. Simpson Record 
HAMMOND, George (I1173)

A Well Known And Respected Resident Succumbs To Paralysis.

Charles Deitrich, a well-known and respected citizen of Milton, died at his home on Apple Street, shortly after noon, yesterday. He sustained a paralytic stroke about three weeks ago, from which he never recovered. He is survived by one daughter, Mrs. Ralph Heckert. His funeral will take place tomorrow afternoon at two o'clock. Services will be conducted at his late home by Dr. Reimensnyder, of Trinity Church. The interment will be made in Harmony Cemetery. The deceased was foreman of the Godcharles Nail Mill and one of the company's most valued employees. He was a good citizen and his death will be mourned by a host of warm friends.

Milton Evening standard, November 9, 1909. 
DEITRICK, Charles (I8110)
167 E. F. COLVIN, proprietor of machine shop and foundry, was born in Luzerne county, Pennsylvania, March 29, 1855, son of Israel and Eliza (Smith) Colvin, natives of Massachusetts. His father was a carpenter and millwright by trade. He died in 1876: his widow still survives him.

They reared six children: James W., of Wilkes Barre; C. W., of Plymouth; Jess W., of Scranton; H. P., of Tunkhannock; Louisa M., of Dalton, Lackawanna county, and E. F. The subject of this sketch was reared in his native county and educated at Wyoming Seminary, Kingston, Pennsylvania, after which he learned the machinist trade at Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania.

In 1880 he removed to Milton and worked at his trade until 1885, when he purchased his present business. In 1876 he married Elizabeth, daughter of Abram Fairchild, of Chillisquaque township, and to this union have been born three children: Abbie E.; Dora M., and Dix. Mr. Colvin is a stockholder in the Milton Knitting Company, the Milton Creamery, the Milton Driving Park and Fair Association, and Montandon Paint Works. 
COLVIN, Edward F. (I3651)
168 EDWARD D. CHAPIN - The West Branch Novelty Company, one of Milton's old and important industries, is under the executive direction of Edward D. Chapin. He represents the second generation in the business, of which his father and uncle were founders, and as president he has continued the company's record of steady progress and growth.

Mr. Chapin, a leading figure in Milton life, was born in this city on April 9, 1896, son of George C. and Jennie (Hause) Chapin. His father, who died in 1924, was founder and president of the West Branch Novelty Company, one-time president of the First Milton National Bank, and a man of prominence and influence in the city. The mother, Jennie (Hause) Chapin, is still living.

After his preliminary education in the Milton public schools, Edward D. Chapin entered Pennsylvania State College, which he attended until 1917. The First World War being then in progress, he enlisted in the United States Navy, was commissioned and served with the rank of ensign. After the war he entered business life and has been associated with the West Branch Novelty Company during virtually his entire career. From the outset he assumed important responsibilities in the business and after the death of his father in 1924, became president of the company. His enterprising leadership and sound judgment have been major factors in the development of the organization and business during the past two decades.

Mr. Chapin has always interested himself in the welfare of his employees and in addition to modern conditions in the plant, the company, under his direction, has set aside and maintained rest and recreation rooms and a lunch room for workers of the factory. Social activities are encouraged and an athletic program is sponsored, which has resulted in several championship teams.

In addition to his service as president of the West Branch Novelty Company, Mr. Chapin is a director of the First Milton National Bank. He has taken a very active and sympathetic interest in civic and community affairs generally and is past president of both the local Rotary Club and of the Milton Chamber of Commerce. He has also served two terms as school director and is a member and director of the board of the General State Authority. Mr. Chapin is affiliated with the Phi Gamma Delta fraternity and the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. He is a member of the Milton Presbyterian Church, on whose board of trustees he serves.

Mr. Chapin married Elizabeth R. Weber. 
CHAPIN, Edward David (I1996)
169 FORMER RESIDENT OF DELTA EXPIRES IN PHILADELPHIA - Frank A. Seidel, a former resident of this community, but more recently of Milton, Pa., died at the Presbyterian Hospital, Philadelphia, on Friday evening after an illness lasting seven weeks due to heart trouble. He leaves a widow, Mrs. Marian Jones Seidel, a native of Delta; four children, Mrs. William E. Thompson, Philadelphia; James F., Paul Jones and Richard Franklin Seidel, all of Milton. Funeral services were held at his late home in Milton on Monday afternoon, with burial at Slate Ridge Cemetery. The Rev. A. L. Hyde officiated at the grave.

Courtesy of Tony Seidel 
SEIDEL, Franklin Alvin (I2359)
170 Fort Freeland. The sad story of this death trap is well and widely known, on Warrior Run, about four miles east of Watsontown and one mile east of well-known Warrior Run Church; it was stockaded in the fall of 1778 by Jacob Freeland, as many of the descendants of the earlier settlers still live in this region and the bloody ending of the place has kept it well in remembrance. Jacob Freeland here built a mill in 1773 and 1774, having brought the iron from New Jersey. Mr. Enoch Everitt, of Watsontown, now owns the fine farm on which it was located. A depression in the yard to the large brick farm house marks the cellar to the site of the old Freeland house. A fine spring of water near the house is still used by the farm house today. In Vol. XII, "Penna. Archives," p. 364, is found the recollections of Mary V. Derickson, born in Fort Freeland, written in 1855, seventy-five years after the occurrence, but is remarkably clear. John Blain Linn, in his " Annals of Buffalo Valley," and John F. Meginness in his " Otzinachson," give us full particulars drawn largely from the "Archives."

Mary V. Derickson writes : " Sir: In compliance with your request, I will give (so far as my memory will serve) all the account of the early settlers and occupants of Fort Freeland. The fort was situated on the Warrior Run Creek, about 4 1/2 miles above where it empties into the Susquehanna River. In the year 1772, Jacob Freeland, Samuel Gould, Peter Vincent, John Vincent and his son, Cornelius Vincent and Timothy Williams, with their respective families, cut their way through and settled within some two miles of where the fort was afterward built. They were from Essex County, N. J. Jacob Freeland brought the irons for a grist mill and in the year 1773 and 1774 built one on Warrior Run.

There were several more families moved up from the same place, and they lived on friendly terms with the Indians until 1777, when they began to be troublesome and to remove their own families. In the summer of 1778, they had to leave the country, and when they returned in the fall they picketed (stockaded) around a large two-story log house (which had been built by Jacob Freeland for his family), enclosing half an acre of ground. The timbers were set close and were about twelve feet high. The gate was fastened by bars inside. Into this fort, or house, the families of Jacob Freeland, Sr., and Jacob Freeland, Jr., John Little, Michael Freeland, John Vincent, Peter Vincent, George Pack, Cornelius Vincent, Moses Kirk, James Durham, Samuel Gould, Isaac Vincent, David Vincent, all gathered and lived there that winter.

In November George Pack, son of George Pack, was born, and on the twentieth day of May, George, son of Isaac Vincent, was born. On the tenth of February, 1779, I was born. My father was Cornelius Vincent. In the spring of 1779, the men planted corn, but were occasionally surprised by the Indians, but nothing serious occurred until the twenty-first day of July, when, as some of them were at work in the corn field back of the fort, they were attacked by a party of Indians, about nine o'clock, A.M. and Isaac Vincent, Elias Freeland and Jacob Freeland, Jr., were killed and Benjamin Vincent and Michael Freeland were taken prisoners.

Daniel Vincent was chased by them, but he outran them and escaped by leaping a high log fence. When the Indians surprised them Ben. Vincent (then ten years of age) hid in a furrow, but he thought he would be more secure by climbing a tree, as there was a woods near, but they saw him and took him a prisoner.

He was ignorant of the fate of the others until about two o'clock P.M., when an Indian thrust a bloody scalp in his face and he knew it was his (and my) brother's scalp. " Nothing again occurred until the morning of the twenty-ninth about daybreak, as Jacob Freeland was going out the gate he was shot and fell inside the gate. The fort was surrounded by about three hundred British and Indians, commanded by Capt. McDonald. There were but twenty-one men in the fort and but little ammunition.

Mary Kirk and Phoebe Vincent commenced immediately and run all their spoons and plates into bullets ; about nine o'clock there was a flag of truce raised and John Little and John Vincent went out to capitulate, but could not agree. They had half an hour to consult with those inside; at length they agreed that all who were able to bear arms should go as prisoners, and the old men and women and children set free, and the fort given up to plunder. They all left the fort by twelve o'clock M., not one of them having eaten a bite that day and not a child was heard cry or ask for bread. They reached Northumberland, eighteen miles distant, that night and there drew their rations, the first they had that day.

When Mrs. Kirk heard the terms on which they were set free she put female clothes on her son William, a lad of sixteen, and he escaped with the women. Mrs. Elizabeth Vincent was a cripple ; she could not walk. Her husband, John Vincent, went to Captain McDonald and told him her situation, and he said he had a horse that the Indians had taken from his son Peter the week before that she could ride about daylight next morning. The horse came to them; he had carried his wife to the lower end of the meadow, where they lay and saw the fort burned, and it rained so hard that night that she laid on her side in the water; when the horse came he stripped the bark off a hickory tree and plaited a halter, set his wife on and led it to Northumberland, where there were wagons pressed to take them down country." After the surrender of the fort Captains Boone and Daugherty arrived with thirty men; supposing the fort still holding out they made a dash across Warrior Run, when they were surrounded.

Captain Hawkins Boone and Captain Samuel Daugherty, with nearly half the force, were killed; the remainder broke through their enemies and escaped. Thirteen scalps of this party were brought into the fort in a handkerchief. Soon after this the fort was set on fire and burned down. The killed of the garrison and Boone's party, from best information to be arrived at, amounted to about twenty men, but two such men as Boone and Daugherty in such times were of more value to such a community than many common men."

Thus ended Fort Freeland. Robert Covenhoven, the famous scout and Indian killer of the West Branch, had passed down ahead of this party of tories and savages, giving notice of their approach, but it is said Fort Freeland did not get notice. Ammunition was hard to get, almost impossible sometimes to procure, which may account for Fort Freeland being so short that the women had to melt up their spoons and "pewter" plates, but one would suppose, if there was any head to the garrison after the attack of a few days before, when their loss was three killed and two captured, he would have caused them to be better prepared for another attack.

Each succeeding generation on the Warrior Run since the fall of Fort Freeland has examined for the site of the place and has rehearsed the traditions and learned the stories that no doubt have been based on fact. The effect of the fall of Fort Freeland was disastrous to this region, accompanied as it was with the death of Boone, Daugherty and their brave comrades, and the desertion of Boone's Mills as a post of defense. It entirely uncovered Fort Augusta to the inroads of the enemy, Bosley's Mills alone, with its small garrison, standing on the defensive on one flank liable to be overthrown when any considerable force of the enemy appeared before it; Col. Hunter holding his base with a force so feeble as to warrant a less courageous commander in calling in every man and gun for the protection of Augusta, as comparatively few persons remained to protect in his front, but holding what he had left.

In November the German Battalion was sent him, counting about one hundred and twenty men, with which he secured his base, built Fort Rice and garrisoned it, and built Fort Swartz and also garrisoned it, as well as Fort Jenkins with thirty men, with ten to fifteen militia at Bosley's Mills, and a few of the inhabitants to hold Wheeler, eighty to ninety men in all, besides his garrison of Augusta. At this date his left flank had been contracted from now Lock Haven to Milton, with his right weak but intact. Affairs did not improve much in this department to the close of the war in 1780. The right flanking fort was destroyed by the troops being withdrawn in an emergency, and some time elapsed before the flank was again protected by Fort McClure, at now Bloomsburg. 
VINCENT, Mary (I5992)
171 From Bell's History of Northumberland County PA 1891: ABRAM FAIRCHILD, farmer, was born in Luzerne county, Pennsylvania, December 25, 1832, son of Solomon and Elizabeth (Lutsey) Fairchild, natives of that county, and farmers by occupation. They were members of the Presbyterian church, and the parents of thirteen children. Those living are: Solomon; Rosanna, Mrs. Cornelius Styer, of Montour county; Priscilla, Mrs. Matthias Rasley, of Butler county, Pennsylvania; Isabella, Mrs. Ziba Kramer, of Iowa, and Abram. The subject of this sketch was reared in Luzerne county and attended the district schools. In 1854 he married Hannah, daughter of Barnet Miller. He was engaged in farming in Luzerne county until 1874, when he removed to Northumberland county and located upon the farm where he now resides. Mr. Fairchild is a director in the First National Bank of Milton, and a stockholder of the Milton Knitting Company, the Milton Trust and Safe Deposit Company, and the Milton Driving Park and Fair Association. Politically he is a Republican; he has served two years as supervisor and two years as constable in Luzerne county. He has seven children: Elizabeth, wife of E. F. Colvin, of Milton; Annie, wife of John D. Derr, of Steelton, Pennsylvania; Milton O., a farmer of Union county; Mary, wife of Eyer Spyker, of Lewisburg; Angus A., of Pottsgrove; Clara J., and Milo Wesley. Mr. Fairchild and family are members of the Presbyterian church. FAIRCHILD, Abraham (I3824)
172 FROM Amy Golder-Cooper: This biography entry was from memory of a descendant. See second biography entry. MARTIN BILLMEYER, son of Andrew, was born in 1777 in Montour county and there passed his entire life, dying Dec. 6, 1855, aged seventy-eight years, three months, twenty-eight days. He was a farmer and distiller of rye, apples and peaches, and was a prosperous and well known man of his time. His wife, Margaret (Himerich), born in 1790, died March 4, 1870, aged eighty years, twenty days, and they too are buried in the family plot before mentioned. Their children were as follows : Jacob; Polly, who married John Hower; Catharine, who married Isaac Blue; John, who died unmarried; Daniel, born in 1817, died in 1884, who married Christianna Cumings, born in 1822, died 1893 (they left no children); Peter, who married Hailey Roat; Sarah, who married John Gouger; Martin, who married Maria Kramm; Fanny, who married Benjamin Gresh; Andrew J., born in 1831, died in 1906, who married Malinda Bowers; and Harriet, who married Jackson Moss. BILLMEYER, Martin (I892)
173 FROM Amy Golder-Cooper: Martin was born in Manheim Twp., Lancaster County, PA. The family moved to Buffalo Twp., now Union County, before 1788 where his father kept a tavern at the intersection of Furnace Road and Dreisbach Church Road (see 1788 taxation rolls and 1790 Census for Andrew Billmeyer there, as well as Annals of Buffalo Valley, 1755-1855 by James Blair Linn). In 1810 Martin is found in Lewisburg, PA, with his young family and by 1821 he is a farmer in Liberty Twp., Columbia Co., now Montour. BILLMEYER, Martin (I892)
174 From Barrie Michie:

Daughter of Henry Wax and Sarah Gardner

Married Charles D. Godcharles before 1860. Ended with his death in 1891.
No Children

Catherine was born into a very large family of fifteen known children. Her father married four times and her mother was his third wife. She lost her mother in 1833 and her father remarried to Rebecca Holman, herself a widow with a number of children. Catherine had four full siblings, 11 half siblings and 5 step siblings. Her father was a farmer and large landowner in Carroll Township, Perry County, Pa., where she presumably was born.

Catherine's husband, Charles, was Canadian. Upon marriage they lived in Penn Township, Perry County where he was initially a machinist and then a farmer. By 1880 they had moved to Milton Township, Northumberland County where his occupation is given as "nailor". He died in 1891.

In 1900, Catherine is found in Harrisburg, taking in boarders, and then in 1910 as an 84 year old widow living in Duncannon with her niece, Minnie nee Taylor Cook, daughter of her half sister, Anna Jane Wax.

Where and when she died is to be determined. In both the 1900 and 1910 census she reports she had no children. Some ancestry trees list two children, Harry (11) and Sarah (2), who appear living with her and Charles in 1870, the relationship unknown.


a. Perry County Orphans Court. Book C, Pg. 154. Petition of 6 April 1842 by Peter Wax, eldest son of Henry Wax, regarding the estate and heirs of Henry Wax, naming a widow Rebecca and 15 children, including Catherine and her four other minor siblings. Property mentioned is 233 acres of land in Carroll Township that required a disinterested party to decide on its division and disposal. 
WAX, Catherine D. (I1123)
175 From Bell's History of Northumberland County 1891: CHARLES H. DOUGAL, physician, was born in Milton. Pennsylvania, Sep­tember 20, 1838, son of Dr. James S. and Sarah Dougal. He received a good common school education, and subsequently entered Princeton College, New Jersey, where he graduated in the spring of 1859. He then commenced the study of medicine in his father's office, but in 1861 entered the United States service under General Stoneman, as a medical cadet. He was taken prisoner July 1, 1863, and was confined in Libby prison five weeks, when he was exchanged and assigned to duty at Eckington hospital, near Washington, D. C., where he remained until the following September. He then returned to Milton and resumed his medical studies, and in March, 1864, graduated from the University of Pennsylvania. He has since been one of the active practitioners of Milton, and has built up a large practice. Doctor Dougal was married January 4, 1866, to Annie M., daughter of Samuel Oakes, of Montour county, Pennsylvania. Two children were born to them, one of whom is living, J. Starrett. Mrs. Dougal died March 26, 1873, and he was again married, March 19 1891, to Miss Emma Clinger, of Williamsport. Politically the Doctor is a Republican; he has been chief burgess of Milton and has served in the borough council three terms. He has also served in the school board. He is an adherent of the Presbyterian church, and a mem­ber of the G. A. R. and the Masonic fraternity. DOUGAL, Dr. Charles Hammond (I385)
176 From Bell's History of Northumberland County 1891: CHARLES HEBER DICKERMAN, manufacturer of railroad equipment, was born in Harford, Susquehanna county, Pennsylvania. February 3, 1843. His father, Clark Dickerman, was a native of Guilford, Chenango county, New York, born June 12, 1803, and a son of John and Thankful Dickerman.

The family traces its paternal ancestry back to 1635, when Thomas Dickerman came from England and settled in Dorchester, Massachusetts. At his death he left two sons: Isaac and Abram. The latter married Mary Cooper, and died at New Haven, Connecticut, leaving a family of eight children; the fifth child and oldest son was also named Abram.

He married Elizabeth Glover, who bore him four sons, the third being John Dickerman, who removed to Brattleboro, Vermont, and married Esther Sperry. Nine children wore born of this union, the fifth, also named John, being the founder of the Guilford branch of the Dickerman family.

He married, in 1789, Thankful Smith, a native of Granby, Massachusetts, and a daughter of Seth and Thankful Smith, the former having served with the rank of colonel in the Revolution­ary war.

John Dickerman was born in Vermont, March 17, 1764, and served in the Revolution nine months, being employed as a scout during the latter part of his service. He learned the blacksmith trade in New Haven, Con­necticut, and about the year 1800 moved with his family from Vermont to Guilford, Chenango county, New York, where he followed blacksmithing and farming. Both he and wife died in Otsego county, New York, November 6, 1848 and October 7, 1856, respectively. They were the parents of eleven children, Clark, the father of our subject, being the seventh in the family. He was twice married, first in November, 1829, to Eliza Knapp, who died November 9, 1830. He was again married, October 14, 1833 at Gibson, Susquehanna county, Pennsylvania, to Sarah Adelia Chandler, born June 30, 1815, who bore him the following children: James Bedell, and Eugene Durand, both deceased; Eliza Knapp, wife of Ralph H. Eaton; Charles Heber; Payson Kingsbury, and Mary Louisa, wife of Clement R. Woodin. Clark Dickerman was a physician, and died at Harford, Susquehanna county, Pennsylvania, August 5, 1853. His widow is still living at Hazelton, Lu­zerne county, aged seventy-six years.

The subject of this sketch was educated in the public schools and at Harvard University, and for several years was a teacher in the public schools of Susquehanna and Layette counties. In 1862 he was registered as a law student in the office of Daniel S. Dickinson, Binghamton, New York, but in 1863 he abandoned the law and accepted a position with Carter & Son, coal operators, at Beaver Meadow, Carbon county, Pennsylvania.

In 1868 he removed to Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, and engaged in the coal commission business. In 1869 he became interested in the Chapman Slate Company, Chapman Quarries, Northampton county, Pennsylvania, miners and manufacturers of roofing slate and other slate products, and was elected secretary of that company, and in 1870 was chosen general manager.

In 1880 he became associated with S. W. Murray in the manufacture of freight cars, and removed to Milton, where he has since resided. Mr. Dickerman is secretary and treasurer of Murray, Dougal & Company, Limited, and is a director of the First National Bank of Milton. During the past eleven years he has taken a prominent part in the social and material development of his adopted home, and is today one of the best and most favorably known citizens of Northumberland county. He has always been an unswerving, uncompromising Democrat, and a fearless, outspoken advocate of Democratic principles Three years ago he was elected chairman of the county committee, and has been twice re-elected to the same position. Under his wise and vigorous management the party has been twice successful in carrying the county, and filling the offices with stanch Democrats.

Mr. Dickerman was married March 10, 1869, at Beaver Meadow, Carbon county, Pennsylvania, to Joy I., daughter of William and Margaret Carter, natives of Cornwall, England, where Mrs. Dickerman was born. Four children are the fruits of this union: Adelia Margaret; William Carter; Grace Beatrice, and Joy Chandler. The family are attendants of the Presbyterian church, and Mr. Dickerman is a member of the Masonic fraternity. 
DICKERMAN, Charles Heber (I248)
177 From Bell's History of Northumberland County 1891: H. C. STICKER, D. D. S., was born in Reading, Berks county, Pennsylvania, September 24, 1838, son of Frederick and Elizabeth (Gift) Sticker, natives of Philadelphia. His father was a paper manufacturer by trade, and also a hotel keeper. He came to Milton at an early day and became proprietor of the Washington House, and continued as such until his death, which occurred in 1856. He was a Democrat in his early life. He was a member of the Reformed church; his widow survived him until 1877. Their family consisted of eleven children, of whom the following are living: Eliza, wife of Abraham Martz; Catharine, wife of Col. Thomas Swenk; Isaac, a resident of California; Louis, a resident of Philadelphia; Charles, a moulder, residing in Milton, and H. C.

The subject of this sketch was reared in Milton, and received his literary education in the high schools of that city. His professional education began in Milton, and was completed in Philadelphia and New York. His practice in Milton has extended over a period of thirty years. In 1863 he was married to Rosetta, daughter of William Smith, of Milton, by whom he has four children: Laura, Hattie, Lake, and Carroll. He at one time belonged to Company A, Third National Guard of Pennsylvania. He is a Republican, and has served as burgess of Milton for three consecutive terms, also in the town council and as school director. 
STICKER, Harrison C. (I1802)
178 From Bell's History of Northumberland County 1891: HARRY M. OVERPECK, dealer in stoves and tinware, was born in Milton, Northumberland county, Pennsylvania, February 21, 1862, son of George W. and Nancy E. (Hougendoubler) Overpeck. His grandfather was a native of Berks county, and settled in Turbut township previous to 1836. The father of our subject was born in this county in 1839, and was a merchant by occupation. He was a member of the One Hundred and Thirty-first Pennsylvania Volunteers, and served two years. He is a member of the German Reformed church, and of Mutual Lodge, I. O. O. F., and in politics is a Republican. He died in 1876; his widow still survives him. They reared two children: Harry M., and John R. of Philadelphia. The subject of this sketch was reared in Milton, and received his education at the public schools and Eastman Commercial College, Poughkeepsie, New York. In 1884 he married Emma E., daughter of David Hertz, of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. He is a member of Mutual Lodge, I. O. O. F., and politically is a Republican. OVERPECK, Harry M. (I190)
179 From Bell's History of Northumberland County 1891: ISAIAH D. GRESH, professor of music, was born in Montour County, Pennsylvania, April 22, 1852, son of Jesse and Mary (Derr) Gresh, natives of Berks county, who came to Northumberland county about 1832, located in Chillisquaque township, and afterwards removed to Montour county, where they lived until 1877. The mother died in 1869 and the father died in Milton in 1884. He was an elder in the Lutheran church for many years. They reared twelve children, five of whom are living: Joseph, of Washingtonville, Montour county; George D.; Ephraim; Sallie E. Odell, of Haverstraw, New York, and I. D. The subject of our sketch was reared in Montour county, and received his education at the township schools and Bloomsburg State Normal School. He also paid close attention to the study of music. He removed to Milton in 1873, and engaged in the mercantile business for two years, and since 1876 has been the organist and leader of the choir of the Presbyterian church. He married, December 22, 1874, Clara, daughter of Samuel Lerch, of Lewis township, and has four children: Cyrus L.; Mary Edith; Theodore Ralph, and Maurice Evans. He is a member of Mutual Lodge, No. 84, I. O. O. F., and a Knight of the Golden Eagle, Castle 265. Politically he is a Democrat, and takes an active part in the success of the party. Mr. Gresh is a member of the Presbyterian church, and his family of the German Reformed church. GRESH, Isaiah Derr (I946)
180 From Bell's History of Northumberland County 1891: JAMES A. OSBORN, physician and surgeon, was born in Philadelphia in 1840, son of Peter and Rebecca (George) Osborn, of that city. He was educated in Philadelphia, read law in Washington, D. C., graduated from the law department of Columbia College, and was admitted to the Washington bar, but never practiced. He read medicine with Dr. Seth Pancoast, of Philadelphia, graduated from the Hahnemann Medical College of Philadelphia in 1875, and came to Milton, where he has since been engaged in an extensive practice. He married in 1884 Anna H., daughter of Rev. A. M. Barnitz, of York, Pennsylvania, by whom be has two children: Harry and Herbert. Politically the Doctor is a Republican. OSBORN, Dr. James Ames (I130)
181 From Bell's History of Northumberland County 1891: JAMES and JANE (STARRETT) DOUGAL, natives of Ireland, and early settlers of Milton, were married October 14, 1793. The former was a graduate of the College of Surgeons, Edinburgh, Scotland, and was practicing medicine in Ireland when he became involved in the Irish rebellion of 1798, and was compelled to escape in disguise to the United States, whither his wife and two children, James and Margaret, followed him. He located in Milton, Pennsylvania, where he erected the stone house in 1803 now occupied by his grandson, and practiced his profession until his sudden death, July 18, 1818, caused by a fall from his horse (near where the Paradise churches stand). He was the pioneer physician of Milton, and a gentleman of marked ability and patriotism, whose loyalty to the emblem of freedom in his adopted home was as fervent as his hatred of tyranny in his native land. During the war of 1812 he did all in his power against English oppression, and sent his son, James S. into the ranks of his country's defenders to fight for the flag of liberty. DOUGAL, Dr. James (I268)
182 From Bell's History of Northumberland County 1891: JAMES POLLOCK McCLEERY, physician, is the eldest son of Dr. William McCleery, and was born in Milton, Pennsylvania, November 13, 1832. He received a good education at the schools of Milton and McEwensville. He began the study of medicine with his father, and attended Jefferson Medical College of Philadelphia, graduating in March, 1857, and since that time has practiced his profession in Milton. June 4, 1870, he was united in marriage with Margaret S., daughter of John McCormick, of Lewis township, this county, and by this union they have five children: Annie M.; Mary H.; Martha H.; William, and Josephine P. Doctor McCleery is a Republican in politics, and the family are adherents of the Presbyterian church. MCCLEERY, Dr. James Pollock (I94)
183 From Bell's History of Northumberland County 1891: JAMES S. DOUGAL was born in County Tyrone, Ireland, October 4, 1794, and came to Milton with his parents, Dr. James Dougal and wife, where he received a good education. He read medicine with his father, and graduated at the University of Pennsylvania in 1817. Upon his father's death the following year he succeeded to his practice, and for fifty eight years he was actively engaged in the duties of his profession. He served in the war of 1812, against the oppressor of his native land. In politics he was originally a Democrat, but in later years united with the Republican party. Doctor Dougal was married July 2, 1818, to Sarah, daughter of William Pollock, and sister of the late ex-Governor James Pollock, who was born, July 16, 1799. She died April 1, 1873, and he survived her until May 23, 1878. They had a family of eight children: James, a physician, and William P., both deceased; Sarah Jane, widow of James Gilmour; Mary Louisa, wife of R. H. Duncan, of Washington, D. C.; Caroline, deceased wife of Horace A. Beak, of Chester county, Pennsylvania; Margaret P.; Charles H., of Milton, and Elizabeth E., wife of Robert Bailey, of Williamsport, Penn­sylvania. Doctor Dougal was a gentleman of enterprise and public spirit. and was for many years one of the leading citizens of his adopted home. DOUGAL, Dr. James Starrett (I376)
184 From Bell's History of Northumberland County 1891: JOHN HENRY KREITZER, wholesale and retail grocer, was born in Milton, Northumberland county, Pennsylvania, October 24, 1858, son of Washing­ton and Catharine (Lore) Kreitzer. He attended the public schools and when fourteen years of age engaged himself to a boatman as driver on the tow path. At the close of the season he found employment at William Price Hull's grain and coal office two years, after which he attended school until 1877, and was engaged as clerk until 1881, when he associated himself with James Buoy, trading under the firm name of Buoy & Kreitzer. The same year he was elected auditor for three years. In 1883 James Buoy retired from the firm, and Mr. Kreitzer took charge of the entire business. In 1884 he was elected borough councilman for three years, and in 1887 was elected ward committeeman. He is a director in the Milton Board of Trade. February 11, 1886, he married Mary Catharine, daughter of George H. and Amanda C. Ettla. Mr. Kreitzer is a member of the Presbyterian church, and served as secretary of the Baptist Sunday school nine years. In poli­tics he is a Republican. He is a stockholder in the Milton Knitting Company,
also stockholder and auditor of the Milton Driving Park and Fair Associa­tion, and a stockholder in the Milton Trust and Safe Deposit Company. 
KREITZER, John Henry (I1064)
185 From Bell's History of Northumberland County 1891: MOSES CHAMBERLIN was born in Union county, Pennsylvania, November 8, 1812, youngest son of William and Ann Mary (Kimble) Chamberlin. He was reared on his father's homestead and educated at the schools of that period. At the age of twenty years he went to Lewisburg and served an apprenticeship of three years at the tanner's trade. In 1833 he removed to Milton, engaged in the mercantile business, and followed the various occupations of milling, lumbering, and farming until 1874, when he retired from active life. He purchased the land and laid out what is known as the Chamberlin addition to Milton, and also laid out and sold land upon which Watsontown is situated. He was married in 1835 to Mary Ann, daughter of George Correy, of Milton, who died, August 15, 1838. One child was born to this union, Elizabeth H., widow of William Follmer, of Watsontown. He was again married in 1840 to Jane H. Montgomery, daughter of John Watson, of Watsontown, and to them six children have been born, four of whom are living: William, of Milton; Caroline, Mrs. A. O. Furst, of Bellefonte; James, of Harrisburg, and Frank, an attorney of Milton. Mr. Chamberlin is a Republican in politics, and has served in the several municipal offices of his town. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and has served as trustee, recording steward, class leader, Sunday school superintendent, etc. CHAMBERLIN, Moses (I50)
186 From Bell's History of Northumberland County 1891: Robert W. Correy, machinist and postmaster, was born in Milton, Northumberland county, Pennsylvania, December 26, 1833. He received his education at the public schools, and learned the trade of machinist. In 1855 he and his brother John K. engaged in the mercantile business, succeeding their father under the firm name of J. K. Correy & Company, and continued about twenty years. Mr. Correy then engaged in the foundry and machine works under the firm name of Correy, Bailey & Company, and continued until 1873. He then became employed in Shimer's matcher-head factory as machinist, and has since held that position. In 1856 he married Lucretia, daughter of John Murray, by whom he has four children: George, a machinist in Milton, who married Belle Hagenbach; John M., druggist, of Milton; William, and Robert Irwin. Mr. Correy is an active member of the Republican party, and has served as overseer of the poor fifteen years. He and wife are members of the Presbyterian Church. June 26, 1890, he was appointed postmaster at Milton, and August 27th following took possession of the same, with his son, John M., as deputy. CORREY, John K. (I1646)
187 From Bell's History of Northumberland County 1891: Robert W. Correy, machinist and postmaster, was born in Milton, North­umberland county, Pennsylvania, December 26, 1833. He received his education at the public schools, and learned the trade of machinist. In 1855 he and his brother John K. engaged in the mercantile business, succeeding their father under the firm name of J. K. Correy & Company, and continued about twenty years. Mr. Correy then engaged in the foundry and machine works under the firm name of Correy, Bailey & Company, and continued until 1873. He then became employed in Shimer's matcher-head factory as machinist, and has since held that position. In 1856 he married Lucretia, daughter of John Murray, by whom he has four children: George, a machinist in Milton, who married Belle Hagenbach; John M., druggist, of Milton; William, and Robert Irwin. Mr. Correy is an active member of the Republican party, and has served as overseer of the poor fifteen years. He and wife are members of the Presbyterian Church. June 26, 1890, he was appointed postmaster at Milton, and August 27th following took possession of the same, with his son, John M., as deputy. CORREY, Robert W. (I1647)
188 From Bell's History of Northumberland County 1891: SAMUEL JOHNSTON SHIMER, senior member of the firm of S. J. Shimer & Sons, was born in Bethlehem township, Northampton county, Pennsylvania, December 3, 1837, son of Abraham B. and Margaretta (Johnston) Shimer, natives of the same county and of German and Scotch descent, respectively. Mr. Shimer was reared upon the old homestead in Bethlehem township, and during his youth he followed the daily routine of farm life. He attended the public schools of his neighborhood, and finished his education at an academy in the borough of Bethlehem. Throughout his early manhood Mr. Shimer was engaged in farming, but in October, 1871, he came to Milton for the purpose of joining his brother George in the lumber business, whither the latter had preceded him in the spring of 1869 and commenced operations under the firm name of Applegate, Shimer & Company. Their first purchase consisted of a tract of eighteen hundred acres of heavily timbered land in Union county, from which they cut the timber, and, converting it into lumber, hauled it to Milton, their nearest shipping point. Subsequent purchases increased these operations until the product of about three thousand acres of fine timber lands had been cut and marketed.

During this period, in 1873, an event occurred that has proven an incalculable benefit to the firm - the invention of a matcher-head by George and Samuel J. Shimer, which is recognized as one of the most valuable inven­tions of the century. In 1872 the firm established a saw and planing mill in Milton, with a small machine shop attached, which was operated up to its destruction by the fire of May, 1880. They then rebuilt the plant as a machine shop for the manufacture of cutter heads and other specialties, and from that time forward devoted their whole attention and energies to the prosecution of the new business. In 1884 George Shimer retired from the firm, and our subject became sole proprietor. He afterwards took into partnership his sons Elmer S. and George S., and the firm then became S. J. Shimer & Sons. In the fall of 1888 they assumed control of the Milton Manufacturing Company's plant, which they have since operated successfully. In the spring of 1889, Mr. Shimer invented and patented a valuable machine for cutting washers, to the manufacture of which the latter plant is principally devoted.

Mr. Shimer was married September 27, 1860 to Catharine A., daughter of Isaac and Catharine (Clemens) Stout, the former a native of Northampton county and the latter of Bucks county, Pennsylvania, and both of German origin. Mrs. Shimer was born in Northamton county, and is the mother of three children: Elmer S; Mary C., wife of William A. Heinen, and George S. The whole family are members of the Presbyterian church, and are ardent supporters of the principles and measures of the Republican party. Mr. Shimer is one of the corporators of the Milton Trust and Safe Deposit Company, and a director and vice-president of that institution. He is widely known and recognized as a gentleman of commendable enterprise and public spirit, as well as one of the most successful manufacturers of the West Branch valley. 
SHIMER, Samuel Johnston (I1)
189 From Bell's History of Northumberland County 1891: SAMUEL WILSON MURRAY was born at Lewisburg, Union county, Penn­sylvania, October 16, 1829. He was educated at the old Lewisburg Academy under Hugh Pollock and his successor in that venerable institution, John Robinson. When he was about seventeen years of age he went to Lancaster, where his father then resided. Two years later he went to Portland, Maine, and entered the Portland Locomotive Works for a term of three years for the purpose of learning the trade of a machinist. At the expiration of his time at the Portland Works he spent a year and a half at Vernon, Indiana, and in Rhode Island, after which he returned to Lancaster and was employed for the three succeeding years as draughtsman in the Lancaster Locomotive Works.

In September, 1856 he went to Williamsport, Pennsylvania, and in con­nection with William Vanderbilt and Charles Bowman engaged in the machine business under the firm name of Vanderbilt, Murray & Bowman. About the middle of the following January their works were entirely destroyed by fire. They immediately purchased another establishment then owned and operated by John B. Hall, but during the following summer came the great commercial crash of 1857, and this, together with their losses by fire, crippled the firm to such an extent that they deemed it expedient to resell the works to Mr. Hall and retire from business. Mr. Murray then returned to Lancaster, and shortly afterward went to Pittsburgh, where he was employed a year in the shops of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company. The succeeding year he spent in the Baldwin Locomotive Works at Philadelphia.

In the fall of 1860 he returned to Lewisburg, and became interested in the firm of Slifer, Walls, Shriner & Company, which was about to engage in the manufacture of agricultural implements. In February, 1864 he came to Milton, and in connection with several other gentlemen, founded the Milton Car Works, with which enterprise he is still identified.

Mr. Murray was married December 17, 1866 to Sarah Matilda Meckly, a daughter of Dr. John Meckly, of Milton, and two children, a son, John Heber, and a daughter, Helen Beatrice, are the result of this union.

While a resident of Portland, Maine, Mr. Murray cast his first vote at the municipal election at which Neal Dow was elected mayor of the city and which resulted in the enactment of the famous "Maine Law." He became at that time a convert to the theory that prohibition was the only practical remedy for the evils of intemperance and he has remained a life-long adherent to the cause. In early life he joined the Methodist Episcopal church, to which creed his parents and sister also adhered, and he has been a prominent leader in church work for many years. He has been a liberal contributor to religious and benevolent purposes and his business career furnishes evidence that a competence can be secured without the sacrifice of religious principles or honor. 
MURRAY, Samuel Wilson (I201)
190 From Bell's History of Northumberland County 1891: WILLIAM A. HEINEN was born in Milton, Northumberland county, Pennsylvania, October 16, 1850, son of William and Anna (Funk) Heinen. He received his education in the Milton schools and Bucknell University, Lewisburg, Pennsylvania, and in early life turned his attention to farming. In 1870 he became a member of the firm of Heinen, Schreyer & Company, but retired from the same in 1880, and has since returned to farming. He is a director in the Milton Trust and Safe Deposit Company, the Milton Iron Company, the Milton Gas Company, and the Milton Driving Park and Fair Association, a stockholder in the Milton Water Company, and a member of the Milton Bridge Company, also one of the organizers and secretary and treasurer of the Milton Creamery Company. Politically he is a Republican. October 8, 1889, he married Mary, daughter of S. J. Shimer, of Milton. HEINEN, William Augustus (I10)
191 From Bell's History of Northumberland County 1891: WILLIAM C. LAWSON, president of the Milton National Bank, was born in Union county, Pennsylvania. December 3, 1817, son of Joseph and Ann (Clingan) Lawson, natives of Lycoming and Lancaster counties, Pennsylvania, respectively. Roger Lawson, the original ancestor of the family in America, came from the North of Ireland in 1720, and settled at Bohemia Manor, Maryland, whence John Lawson, grandfather of our subject, removed in 1785 to Lycoming county, Pennsylvania. Joseph Lawson was born and reared in that county, and subsequently went to Union county, where he married Ann Clingan, whose parents moved from Lancaster to Union county in 1801. He was a prominent farmer, and both he and wife died in that county. Though originally a Democrat he became a Whig during Jackson's administration. and ever afterward voted that ticket.

The subject of this sketch was reared in his native county, and in 1830 commenced attending an academy at Milton, then under the charge of Rev. David Kirkpatrick, where he spent two years and a half. In 1835 he entered Delaware College, at Newark, Delaware, from whence he was graduated in 1838. After leaving college he began the study of the law in the office of James F. Linn of Lewisburg, Pennsylvania. and completed his studies under Judge Reed of Carlisle. He was admitted to the bar of Cumberland county in 1840, and the same year opened an office in Greenville, Mercer county, where he practiced his profession until the fall of 1843, when he located in Milton and was admitted to the bar of Northumberland county, April 1, 1844. Mr. Lawson continued in active and successful practice at this bar for about forty years, but the fire of 1880 having destroyed his home, office, and library, he concluded to abandon the active duties of his profession, and he gradually gave up the practice of the law and has since devoted his attention to his private affairs. He was one of the organizers of the Milton Savings Bank in 1858, and since July, 1860, he has been president of that institution and its successor, the Milton National Bank, continuously, up to the present. He also has been president of the Milton Bridge Company for many years.

Mr. Lawson has been twice married. His first wife was Hannah P., daughter of James P. Sanderson, of Milton, to whom he was wedded October 19, 1843. She died in 1854, leaving two children: James Lawson, cashier of the Williamsport National Bank, and Mrs. William B. Chamberlin, of Milton. His second marriage occurred in April, 1858, to Mrs. Ann D. Shannon, daughter of James Strawbridge, of Lewisburg, Pennsylvania. She died, December 11, 1885. In religious faith the Lawsons have been Presbyterians since the coming of Roger Lawson to America in 1720, and our subject has been a member of that church since early manhood. He has always taken a very deep interest in the progress and prosperity of the Milton church, in which body he has filled the office of elder since 1859. In politics he was originally a Whig, and since the birth of the Republican party he has been an active supporter of that organization. 
LAWSON, William Clingan (I48)
192 From Bell's History of Northumberland County 1891: WILLIAM CHAMBERLIN was born in New Jersey, September 25, 1736. He was a lieutenant colonel in the New Jersey militia, and served in the Revolutionary war. He was married in 1758 to Miss Tinbrook, who bore him seven children. March 3, 1771, he married Ann Park, who bore him four children, and died November 12, 1779. In 1782 he married Margaret Park, and by her were born four children. She died April 29, 1791, and August 16, 1794, he married Ann Mary Kimble, and to this union were born eight children. He was twenty-three years of age at the birth of his first child, and seventy-six years of age at the birth of his twenty-third child. He died August 21, 1817. His oldest son Lewis, while on a visit to his father, was killed at the battle of Germantown October 4, 1777, by a cannon ball. About 1792 he removed to Buffalo valley and purchased six hundred acres of land, in what is now Kelly township, Union county, where he lived in prosperity until his death. He was a prominent member of the Baptist church. His last wife came of an old family. She was familiar with Washington Irving, George Washington, and others. She was a member of the Presbyterian church, and having a very retentive memory, committed many chapters of the Bible to memory. She died, March 4, 1595. CHAMBERLIN, William (I620)
193 From Bell's History of Northumberland County 1891: WILLIAM H. HACKENBERG, attorney at law, was born at White Pigeon, Michi­gan, May 14, 1859, son of P. L. and Mary E. (Hood) Hackenberg. His parents removed to Milton in 1861, where he received his education in the public schools, after which he read law with his father, and was admitted to the bar in 1881. He immediately formed a partnership with his father in the practice of law, which continued until 1889, when his father retired from the firm. Mr. Hackenberg's large practice is entirely due to his own efforts and his thorough knowledge of his profession. He is recognized as one of the leading young lawyers of the county, and is a member of the examining board of the Northumberland county bar. Politically he is a Republican; at the age of twenty-one years he was elected justice of the peace, and was probably at that time the youngest man in the State holding that office. After serving one half of the term he was compelled to resign on account of his increasing law practice. Mr. Hackenberg was twice elected burgess of Milton, and was a delegate to the Republican State conventions in 1886 and 1890. In 1878 he married Mary H., daughter of D. H. and Susanna Krauser, of Milton, and by this union they have two children: James Osborne and Nina K. HACKENBERG, William Hood (I214)
194 From Bell's History of Northumberland County 1891: WILLIAM HEINEN, deceased, was born in York county, Pennsylvania, in 1817, son of Doctor Heinen, who emigrated from Germany and married Miss Etzler, of York county, and practiced medicine in that county before removing to Milton. William Heinen came to Milton with his parents when a child, and received his education at the Milton Academy under Rev. David Kirkpatrick. He started in life as a clerk, and served an extended apprenticeship. In 1835 he, in co-partnership with Jesse Schreyer, established the mercantile firm of Schreyer & Heinen. He remained a member of that firm until 1866, when he withdrew and retired from active business in 1870. He married Anna M., daughter of Henry Funk, of Bucks county, by whom he had eight children, three of whom are living: Catharine, wife of D. M. Krauser; Willian A., and T. C. Mr. Heinen was one of the organizers of the Milton National Bank, and served as a director many years. He was a prominent member of the Lutheran church, and a Democrat in politics. He died July 19, 1879; his widow died in 1885. HEINEN, William (I517)
195 From Bell's History of Northumberland County 1891: WILLIAM P. DOUGAL was the second son of Dr. James S. and Sarah (Pollock) Dougal, and grandson of Dr. James Dougal, the second resident physician of Milton. He was born December 28, 1823, in the substantial stone house erected by his grandfather on the corner of Front and Mahoning streets, Milton, Pennsylvania, early in the present century, and was educated at the old Milton Academy. In early manhood he engaged in farming in Union county, and followed agricultural pursuits until 1860. Upon the breaking out of the civil war he at once gave his active support to the Union cause, and September 4, 1862, he was commissioned first lieutenant of Company D, One Hundred and Fiftieth (Bucktail) regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers, which company he recruited in Union county, where he then resided. His regiment was at once sent to the front, and afterwards became celebrated as one of the fighting regiments of the Army of the Potomac, Lieutenant Dougal was promoted to the captaincy on the field of Gettysburg, July 1, 1863, where he was so severely wounded as to necessitate his retirement from active service, and he was finally discharged, February 1, 1864. The firm of Murray, Dougal & Company was organized the same year, and the Milton Car Works established, with which Captain Dougal was actively identified until 1878, when he withdrew from the firm and lived a retired life up to his death July 8, 1890.

Captain Dougal was twice married, first to Sarah Clingan, of Union county, who bore him one daughter, Sarah, wife of William C. Lawson, Jr., of Milton. His second wife was Agnes, daughter of Robert and Eliza (Montgomery ) McCormick, of Milton, a descendant of two well known pioneer families of the West Branch valley. Seven children were the fruits of this union: James; Robert; William; Eliza; Charles; Agnes, and Margaret, all of whom are living except the eldest. Captain Dougal was a member of the Presbyterian church, to which faith his widow and family also adhere, and in politics he was an ardent Republican. He was a director of the Milton National Bank, and always manifested a deep interest in the social and material growth of his native town. He was affable, kind, and generous in all the relations of home and family, and in business life he was recognized as the soul of honor and integrity. 
DOUGAL, Capt. William Pollock (I380)
196 From Bell's History Of Northumberland County 1891: JOHN WOODS BROWN, deceased, was born in White Deer valley, Union county, Pennsylvania, December 1, 1826, son of Samuel T. and Nancy (Woods) Brown. He attended the Milton Academy, also the McEwensville Academy under the Rev. S. S. Sheddon, D. D. He entered Jefferson College in the spring of 1846, and graduated from that institution in 1848. He then read law one year with Samuel Hepburn of Milton, and afterwards entered the law school at Easton, Pennsylvania, under Judge McCarty and Henry Greer, and graduated in 1851, when he returned to Milton and engaged in practice. In 1853 he entered into co-partnership with W. C. Lawson, which relation continued successfully until 1880. After the great fire of that year in Milton neither partner cared to continue in the practice of law.

Mr. Brown was an active and influential Democrat and a leader in the local councils of his party. In 1862-63 he represented Northumberland county in the House of Representatives in the State Legislature and occupied a prominent position in that body. He held a number of positions in civil life, in which his fidelity and conscientiousness were prominently manifested.

He was the principal factor in the organization of the First National Bank of Milton in 1863, was elected its president, and continued in this office until his death. He was a remarkably quiet and unobtrusive man, yet possessed of that courage which always prompted him to follow the line of duty in a forcible, and oftentimes aggressive, manner. His conceptions of right and his condemnation of all things that reflected the image of impropriety made him a fearless advocate of good.

January 29, 1851 he married Maria, daughter of William and Catherine Polk of Easton, Pennsylvania. Seven children were born to their union, four of whom are living. Mr. Brown died January 6, 1888. 
BROWN, John Woods (I332)
197 From Bell's History of Northumberland County 1891: CHARLES C. McCORMICK, deceased, was born in Paradise, Lewis township. Northumberland county, Pennsylvania February 18, 1838, and died January 31, 1884. His parents were Robert and Eliza McCormick. He was reared on the homestead farm, and manifested a great love for books and a desire to improve his mind. He attended the McEwensville Academy and the Lewisburg University, and took a course at the Pittsburgh Commercial College. He removed with his parents to Milton in 1860. At the breaking out of the civil war he was among the first to respond to his country's call, and, owing to his military tact, indomitable energy, and unquestionable bravery, he gradually arose from the rank of private to that of brigadier general. October 9, 1861, he enlisted in Company D, Eightieth Regiment (Seventh Cavalry), and November 18, 1861, was promoted to captain of Company L; January 10, 1865, he became colonel of the regiment, and was brevetted brigadier general March 13, 1865, for long, faithful, and gallant service. He was mustered out August 23, 1865, and was promoted after the war to the rank of major general of the National Guard of Pennsylvania. He fought in the Army of the Tennessee as a cavalryman, and was wounded at Bardstown, Kentucky, and Selma, Alabama. The bullets received at the latter place remained in his body until his death. He participated in the battles of Murfreesboro, Stone River, Alexandria, Chickamauga, Macon, Dallas, Atlanta, Columbia, and Kennesaw Mountain. At the close of the war he returned to Milton and purchased an interest in the firm of Murray, Dougal & Company, car manufacturers, from which he retired in 1877. June 30, 1868, he married Charlotte A., daughter of L. M. and Sarah (Blake) Wright of Troy, New York, and to them were born three children: Robert C., a student at Cornell University; Helen C. and Walter W., now attending school. MCCORMICK, Gen. Charles Comly (I1718)
198 From Bell's History of Northumberland County 1891: CLEMENT CALVIN STRAUB was born in Milton, Northumberland county, Pennsylvania, November 23, 1833, son of Abraham and Nancy (Balliet) Straub. He attended the public schools and academy under Reverend Dieter, and was for many years engaged in the mercantile business. For the last twenty-five years he has been engaged in building portable mills in connection with his brother Ambrose, the inventor, their place of business being in Philadelphia. He is a director in the First National Bank of Milton. February 17, 1864, he was united in marriage with Elizabeth A., daughter of Justus Swenk, of Milton. She died, May 24, 1872. Mr. Straub is a prominent Republican, and was for many years a member of the school board and town council. STRAUB, Clement Calvin (I461)
199 From Bell's History of Northumberland County 1891: CYRUS BROWN, druggist, was born in White Deer valley, Union county, Pennsylvania May 25, 1824, eldest son of Samuel T. and Nancy (Woods) Brown. He was educated at the schools of Milton and the Lewisburg Academy, after which he entered a drug store in Philadelphia, where he remained until he acquired a thorough knowledge of the business. In 1854 he returned to Milton and established his present drug house, which is now the largest in the county. He was burned out in May, 1880, with a loss of fifty thousand dollars outside of his insurance, but rebuilt the same year, and in 1882 erected his present store. Mr. Brown handles white lead in large quantities, and is the inventor and manufacturer of the Red Horse powder. He is a believer in printer's ink, and is probably the most extensive advertiser in the county. In 1859 he married Louisa B., daughter of David Krauser, who died leaving one daughter, Hettie L. He was again married January 1, 1876, to Mrs. Rebecca H. Rhodes, widow of Doctor Rhodes, of Milton. Politically Mr. Brown is a Democrat; he has served as city council­man, and is a member of the Presbyterian church. BROWN, Cyrus (I194)
200 From Bell's History of Northumberland County 1891: GEORGE W. IMBODY, merchant, was born in Milton, Northumberland county, Pennsylvania, February 22, 1852, son of George and Julia (Heintzelman) Imbody, natives of Berks and Northumberland counties, respectively. His father was a shoemaker by trade, and came to Milton about 1844. He enlisted in 1862 and was honorably discharged in 1865. He was a Republican in politics, and a member of the German Reformed church. He was killed by accident in 1866; his wife still survives him. They reared seven children, five of whom are living: William, undertaker, of Milton; John H.; George W.; Henry and Cyrus B., a druggist of Bridgeport. Connecticut.

The subject of our sketch was reared and educated in Milton and learned the carpenter's trade, which he followed until 1870, when he engaged in the mercantile business as clerk, and in 1883 established his present grocery business. In 1877 he married Clara, daughter of Samuel Shuman, of Catawissa, by whom be has one child: Bertha Irene. Mr. Imbody is a stockholder in the Milton Knitting Company. Politically he is a Republican, and he and wife attend Christ Evangelical Lutheran church. 
IMBODY, George Washington (I504)

      «Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 28» Next»