Matches 1 to 50 of 1,425

      1 2 3 4 5 ... 29» Next»

 #   Notes   Linked to 

BIOGRAPHY: George Stahl, farmer, was born on the farm where he now resides, February 25, 1814, son of Philip and Elizabeth (Eshbach) Stahl. He received his education in the district schools, and has been a farmer all his life. He has served two terms as school director, and in other township offices. Mr. Stahl was married in 1842 to Elizabeth Deshler, of this county, and to them were born eight children: William J.; Thomas P.; Mary E.; Levi H.; John O.; David F.; Edwin O., and George Calvin. He is a member of the German Reformed church, and politically he has been a life-long Democrat. Mr. Stahl is one of the oldest and most respected citizens of his native town­ship. He is a man of the strictest integrity, and of unimpeachable charac­ter, and is a fitting representative of old Northumberland's best and purest citizenship. 
STAHL, George (I8869)

BIOGRAPHY: George Stahl, son of Johann Philip, was born on the farm where he afterward made his home, and received his education in the local public schools. Though his advantages were limited, he received a practical foundation and being an intelligent man became well informed. He followed farming all his life, dying at his old home in 1894, and the present set of buildings on the place were put up by him. He was quite active in the affairs of his day, being a supporter of the Democratic party in political matters and a member of the Reformed Church on religious questions. He served in the State militia, in which he was orderly sergeant; served six years as school director, was supervisor and township treasurer, and a useful man generally in his community. He was an earnest worker in the Paradise Church, serving as deacon, elder and trustee, and was a man of high Christian character, respected by all who knew him. His grandfather, John Stahl, in company with Michael Koons and John Deiffenbacher, had purchased two acres of ground from John Christ for the sum of fifteen pounds, and on that plot the first church of the congregation was erected in 1808.
On May 2, 1843, Mr. Stahl married Elizabeth Deshler, who was born in Northampton county Sept. 26, 1817, daughter of Jacob Deshler, of Northampton county, who came to Northumberland county in the early thirties; his wife was a Hower. Mrs. Stahl died Jan. 16, 1860. She and her husband had the following named children: William J., of Union county, Pa., who married Sarah Watt and had two children, one being Edwin (living in Indiana); Thomas P., unmarried, who lives at McEwensville, Pa.; Mary E., unmarried, of Aaronsburg, Pa.; Levi H.; Edwin O., born March 4, 1850, of McEwensville, who married Mary A. Menges (born June 21, 1861, died Dec. 9, 1895) and had four children; John O., who died in 1862, aged eleven years, and David F., who died in 1862, aged nine years, both dying of diphtheria; and George Calvin. 
STAHL, George (I8869)

BIOGRAPHY: Henry C. Hause, grandfather of Charles L., was born in 1796 in Northampton county, Pa., and died July 16, 1871, at Milton. In the spring of 1834 he came to Northumberland county and bought a farm of seventy acres in Chillisquaque township, which he cultivated until 1850. He sold the place that year and moved to Milton, being one of the pioneer builders of Shakespeare, which is now included in Milton. He was a Republican in politics and a Lutheran in religious faith. His wife, Catharine Matilda (Young), daughter of Jacob Young, of Northampton county, died May 22, 1866 at the age of sixty-eight years, two months, seventeen days. Ten children were born to them; (1) Jacob, born Nov. 28, 1818, died at Milton Sept. 29, 1903. He was a soldier in Company D, 112th Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers. He married Anna Haupt, and they had six children, Edward, John, Harry, Catharine, Lovina and Jane. (2) George Henry married Angeline Foust, daughter of Philip, but left no children. He died at Milton in 1864. Farming was his occupation. (3) Hannah married Jacob H. Ernst and is still living in Union county, Pa., in her eighty-seventh year. She had three children, Henry, William and Ida. (4) Sabina, who died at Milton April 11, 1860, married Benjamin Snyder and had William O., Joseph H., Catharine and Ida. (5) Lewis William went West in 1858 and settled at Aledo, Ill., where he died. His family are in the West. He married Elizabeth Clark, daughter of William, and they had a family of six children, Catharine E., Ida M., Elizabeth, Leota, Emery and Clarence. (6) John R. is mentioned below. (7) Conrad P. died in Easton, leaving no children. He married Lydia Pursel. (8) Amandus F. married Mary Follmer, daughter of Henry Follmer, and they left no children. He was killed in 1868 in Bradford county, Pa., by the falling of a tree. (9) David B., born May 31, 1839, died Sept. 1, 1904. He served during the Civil war as a member of Company E, 131st Regiment, P. V. I. He married Katie Strine, daughter of William Strine, and they had one daughter, Jennie, who is married to George C. Chapin, cashier of the First National Bank of Milton. (10) J. Harrison, born Dec. 6, 1842, in Chillisquaque township, Northumberland county, is now living retired in Milton. He learned coachmaking, and followed that business until his retirement, in 1903. In September, 1861, he enlisted in Company H, 51st Pennsylvania Volunteers, Col. J. F. Hartranft, and on Jan. 1, 1864, reenlisted in the same company and regiment. He was captured at Spottsylvania May 12, 1864, and was held prisoner at Andersonville for ten months. He was exchanged May 10, 1805, and mustered out July 28, 1865. He served as second sergeant of his company. He is a member of Henry Wilson Post, No. 129, G. A. R., of Milton, and of Regiment No. 108, Union Veteran Legion; he also holds membership in Lodge No. 84, I. 0. 0. F. On Nov. 28, 1868, he married Hannah S. Hullihen, daughter of Thomas and Rebecca (Freeze) Hullihen and they have had one son, Edward B., now a dentist of Philadelphia and, married to Catharine Datesman. 
HAUSE, Henry C. (I2005)

BIOGRAPHY: John R. Hause, father of Charles L. Hause, born March 11, 1830, in Northampton county, Pa., came with his father to Northumberland when a small boy. He followed the plasterer's trade for many years, and later was employed in the car shops at Milton. His death occurred April 12, 1894. He was a Lutheran in religion, and in politics a Republican who took a deep interest in the welfare of his party and an active part in local interests. He married Mary A. Stimmel, daughter of Jonas and Catharine (Dry) Stimmel; she had two brothers, Israel (who lives in New Berlin) and Amos (deceased). Mr. and Mrs. John B. Hause had children as follows: Amos, who died young; William T., who died at the age of sixteen years; Harry, living at Hazleton, Pa.; Charles L.; Frank, of Milton; Catharine L., wife of C. E. Hoy; Anna, wife of Samuel Henry; and Mary, who lives with her mother. 
HAUSE, John Rudolph (I2012)

Biography: My great-aunt Carrie (Esther Caroline) and her sister (Emma Rebecca) lived in Milton on Front Street during the flood of 1936. Their house was 2 stories. The first floor had 12 foot ceilings. (They ran a laundry from the back of the house and had a great big ironing machine that ironed bed sheets.) I remember Dad went over to help them move all their belongings up to the second floor. The weather report said the river would peak at 10 feet so they should be fine living on the second floor until the water subsided. Well the river didn't stop rising at 10 feet and they actually got a couple inches on the second floor. When the water went down I remember it being really eerie because there were mason jars stuck to the ceiling. The concave lid formed a vacuum so they stuck tight when the water went down. There weren't a lot of them but it really looked odd. 
WOODLING, Carroll Hartman (I5353)

Biography: In 1832 he built the first steam-powered stone flour mill on the SE corner of Front Street (now Arch Street) and Locust Street in Milton. The mill was sold to George Baker in 1864, and survived the great fire of 1880. 
POLLOCK, Fleming Wilson (I625)

BIOGRAPHY: James Hooven was born on the 30th of March, 1808, in Chester County, and when a youth removed with his parents to Upper Merlon township, where he became a pupil of the neighboring district school, but under the watchful care of his mother acquired a more thorough rudimentary education. He early cultivated a habit of study and reflection, was a skillful translator from the German and purposed devoting him to a literary career. Circumstances, however, influenced this termination and developed as successful a man of business as would otherwise have adorned the field of literature. At the age of fourteen he entered a country store located at King of Prussia, in the same township, and in 1830 embarked in business with a partner, remaining thus engaged for two years, when Norristown became his home. Here he formed a co-partnership with Dr. George W. Thomas, and was for seven years interested in mercantile ventures. The business of lime-burning next occupied his attention until 1846, when he sought a wider field of operation, and, in company with Mordecai R. Moore, erected a rolling-mill which still operates. In 1870 he extended his manufacturing interests by the erection of a blast furnace, and filter of a pipe-mill. In 1864 he was elected president of the First National Bank of Norristown, which office he still fills. He was also the first president of the Stony Creek Railroad. Mr. Hooven was, in 1833, married to Miss Emeline Henry, of Evansburg, Pa. He was a second time married, in 1874, to Helen Cushman, of Norristown. Mr. Hooven was formerly a Whig in his political predilections and subsequently became a Republican, though never in the arena of politics. He was among the earliest advocates of the doctrine of abolition, and the stanch protector and friend of the escaped slave, who found a safe abiding place under his hospitable roof. Mr. Hooven was a delegate to the National Republican Convention in 1860, and aided by his vote in the nomination of Abraham Lincoln for the Presidency. He is a supporter of and pew-holder in the Protestant Episcopal Church of Norristown, though exercising a kindly toleration toward all religious denominations.
HOOVEN, James (I1480)

Biography: Abraham (1794-1864) and Isaac (1794-1875) Straub, twin sons of Andrew Straub, followed in their father's footsteps as lumbermen and millers. Isaac may have been a millwright. Abraham learned the tanner's trade and owned a tannery in Milton until 1824. At that time he sold out and joined his brother Isaac in building a saw mill and a grist mill. Needing water power, they selected the large island, now Milton State Park, for their mills.

Using the channel that split the island at that time for the mill sites, they dammed the outer channels. This directed a fall of four feet of water through the center channel on the reaction water wheels that they had invented. With sufficient power the mills operated successfully. Logs coming down the river as rafts supplied a steady supply for the sawmill. A bridge built by the Straubs from Milton to the island gave access to grain and supplies from the mainland and the return of flour and lumber. A portion of their production would have been shipped by river boats to Columbia, PA for transfer to the Philadelphia & Columbia Railroad for shipment to Philadelphia, or canal boat for shipment to Baltimore.

In 1834 Isaac retired from the firm and went to Lewistown, where he engaged in merchan­dising. Isaac Straub left Lewistown in 1838 and went to Cincinnati, where he died, December 17, 1875. 
STRAUB, Isaac (I607)

From Bell's History of Northumberland County 1891: T. C. HEINEN was born in Milton, March 11, 1859, son of William and Anna (Funk) Heinen. He was educated in the schools of Milton, after which he entered the mercantile business as clerk, and succeeded his father as a member of the firm of Heinen, Schreyer & Company. He is a stock­holder in the Milton Iron Company, the Milton Knitting Company, the Milton Water Company, the Milton Gas Company. and the Milton Driving Park and Fair Association. In 1885 he married Carrie V., daughter of D. W. A. Belford, of Milton, and has one child, Catharine E. 
HEINEN, Thomas Curtis (I523)

From Bell's History of Northumberland County 1891: WILLIAM McCLEERY was for many years one of the best known medical practitioners in the county. He was a native of Dauphin county, Pennsylvania, and a son of John McCleery, a merchant of Harrisburg and subsequently of Milton, who died on his farm near the latter place. William removed with his parents to Milton in boyhood, read medicine with Dr. James S. Dougal, and graduated from Jefferson Medical College in the class of 1827. For more than thirty years he practiced his profession in Milton and the surrounding country for miles in every direction, and shared with his contemporaries a large and lucrative practice. Doctor McCleery married Margaret, daughter of William Pollock, and a sister of the late ex-Governor James Pollock, who bore him six children, five of whom survive: J. P., of Milton; Mary, wife of Joseph D. Potts, of Philadelphia; Julia J., wife of Jesse Merrill, of Lock Haven; John, of Milton, and William P., of Troy, Pennsylvania. In 1857 Doctor McCleery turned over his practice to his eldest son, Dr. J. P. McCleery, and engaged in the lumber business. He erected the first steam saw mill on the river at Milton, and followed the lumber trade up to his death, December 4, 1867. His wife died fourteen years prior to his decease. 
MCCLEERY, Dr. William (I95)

Obituary - William F. Strine, Sr.

Death of Wm. Strine, Sr. - Our immorality has suffered a loss in the death of Wm. Strine, Sr. which occurred on Tuesday morning last, in the 66th year of his age. About one year ago, Mr. Strine commenced building the present handsome residence of the family on Walnut Street. While engaged in excavating the cellar, he became over-heated and taking a chill, his system received a shock from which it never recovered. From that date until his death with the exception of short period of apparent convalescence, he has been gradually losing strength, his stomach becoming so irritable as to refuse almost every kind of nourishment.
His death, though for some time past not unexpected, is a severe trial to his family and they have the kindly sympathy of all who knew him. Mr. Strine, for many years and to the time of his death, was a consistent member of the M.E. Church and departed this life with a full hope of future bliss. For several years, he held the office of Overseer of the Poor, for this borough and discharged its onerous and unremunerative duties to the entire satisfaction of the public.

The Miltonian, April 28, 1871 
STRINE, William Forrest (I2671)

Thomas Murray Murdock, second son of Robert A. Murdock, was born in Chillisquaque township in 1803. He was a contractor and builder. In 1834 he was married to Eleanor Wilson, daughter of Nathaniel Wilson, Jr. (1779-1826), who lived near where Pottsgrove now is, and who for many years was a justice of the peace and paymaster in the militia (48th Regiment), and whose father, Nathaniel Wilson, Sr., was born in 1747 and died in Chillisquaque in 1807. Nathaniel Wilson, Sr., was married to Eleanor McAllister in 1774. He was one of the original subscribers to the Chillisquaque Presbyterian Church. Nathaniel Wilson, Jr. was married to Sarah Bond (1781-1832), a daughter of Samuel Bond (1754-1838) who emigrated to Chillisquaque in 1790 from Maryland, and who afterward became prominent in Northumberland county politics, being commissioned justice of the peace in 1797, and serving as county commissioner from 1806 to 1809, and as member of the State Legislature from 1811 to 1813, and again representing Columbia county in the Legislature from 1816 to 1818. Samuel Bond was a grandson of Sir Richard Bond, of England.
Thomas M. Murdock was politically a Democrat. In 1847 he rebuilt the Susquehanna river bridge, which had been swept away by a flood. His wife, Eleanor Wilson Murdock, died in 1872. They were the parents of six children: Sarah, wife of the late C.W. Tharp, Esq.; Robert Hammond, who is still living, and who for many years was the agent of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company at Corry, Pa.; Jane, wife of Williamson Marsh, deceased; Nathaniel Wilson, who died in 1860, in his eighteenth year; Thomas A.; and Elizabeth Ellen, who married George Barclay, of Milton. 
MURDOCK, Thomas Murray (I6418)

SETH C. HILL, farmer, was born in Chillisquaque township, Northumberland county, Pennsylvania, November 9, 1830, son of Elijah and Rebecca (Wenrich) Hill. His father was a native of Berks county, and came with his parents to Chillisquaque township; here he was reared and began life as a day laborer, but afterwards engaged in farming in Limestone township, Montour county, where he remained ten years, and then moved to Turbut township, where he remained until his death in March, 1887. He was an active Republican in politics, and for thirty-five years a member of the Lutheran church of Milton. serving as deacon of the same many years. His wife still survives him. They reared five children, two of whom are living: Seth C. and Alfred. The subject of this sketch received his educa­tion at the public schools, and has principally followed the occupation of a farmer. For six years he engaged in the lumber business in Clinton county, Pennsylvania. and was engaged in the grocery business in Milton several years, after which he embarked in the dairy business, and in 1880 accepted his present position as manager of the farm and dairy of William Heinen. In 1861 he married Rachel, daughter of Abraham Angeny, a native of Bucks county and a settler of Turbut township. By this union they have six children: Clara; Kate; Alice; Bessie; William; and Harry. Mr. Hill is an elder in the Lutheran church of Milton. Politically he is a Republican. 
HILL, Seth Comly (I1179)
Bell's History of Northumberland Co., PA page 265: James Teas was a son of Samuel Teas, a prominent resident of Milton. He married Jane, daughter of Ellis Walton, the second prothonotary of Lycoming county; she was a niece of Justice Charles Huston, of the Supreme court of Pennsylvania. Doctor Teas was in active practice at Northumberland at the time of his death. 
TEAS, Dr. James M.D. (I3939)
Bell's History of Northumberland County PA 1891: George W. Strine was born in Mifflinburg, Union County, Pennsylvania, March 15, 1818, son of Matthias and Catherine (Welshans) Strine, natives of York County, Pennsylvania and early settlers of Union County. His grandfather emigrated from Germany and served in the Revolutionary War. The father of our subject removed to Milton April 1, 1818, where he worked at his trade and boat building. Prior to this he was engaged in saddletree making at Mifflinburg, Union County, Pennsylvania. He was an elder in the Lutheran church many years. He died in 1861; his wife died in 1858. They were the parents of nine children, four of whom are living; Henry, George W., Daniel, and Matthias. The subject of this sketch was reared and educated in Milton, and learned the trade of boat builder, which he has followed about 30 years, twenty of which he was a contractor and built boats for the Penn Canal Company.

He also engaged in farming about ten years. In 1841, he married Mary, daughter of Frederick Burnman, who died in 1883 leaving 3 children: Melancthon; Mary, wife of John Peeler, of Milton, and Alice, wife of Lewis Small, of York County, Pennsylvania. Mr. Strine has been an active member of the Democratic Party. He was postmaster at Milton under James Buchanan's administration, was elected sheriff of Northumberland County in 1875 and served one term, and has also served several terms as councilman and member of the school board of Milton. He is a stockholder in the Milton Knitting Company and the Milton Bridge Company. He is a member of the Lutheran church, in which he has served as elder. 
STRINE, George Worthington (I2669)
Biography by her son, Albert Cadwallader Worrell:
Bertha Cadwallader grew up in a large sixteen-room house at 250 Center Street in Milton. Her father was a successful businessman in groceries and provisions and was active in local politics. The family was not wealthy but lived in comfortable circumstances, which usually included a live-in maid.

Bertha was a sociable and active person and made friends easily. She and Lulu Beck and Sarah Datesman remained close personal friends for over eighty years. She apparently had good relations with her parents. "Papa" comes through in the stories as a rather strict head-of-the-house, but she always spoke of him with affection. And although letters from her mother are signed rather formally "Mother", the bodies of the letters suggest a close relationship between them.

Bertha graduated from Milton High School in 1900. She went away to a girls finishing school for a short time in 1901, but she was unhappy with the strict discipline and isolation and would not stay for even one year. When she came home, she asked her father let her go to college the next year. He told her she could either complete finishing school or stay home (none of the girls were allowed to go to college). So she returned to a life at home with periodic visits to friends and relatives in other places. Family memory says she was engaged to be married at one point (we do not know the man's name), but broke off the engagement after a disagreement. We assume she went out with other men, but do not know whether any of those relationships were serious.

By this time most of her brothers and sisters had left home. Iredell married in 1901 and Kate in 1903. Only her younger brother, Albert, remained at home; he was still in school. Her mother's health was deteriorating and it is possible that Bertha took over part of the management of the house.

In March of 1905 her parents moved to Broadway House in Milton. Apparently they had sold their house, but we do not know why (probably to generate enough money for him to build the Milton Realty building the next year). Bertha was in Philadelphia, where all of her sisters were living at that time. Albert Cadwallader had planned to take his wife West to visit their son Austin in Los Angeles. On June 13, Bertha's mother wrote saying they planned to leave "on Friday morning" for their son Iredell's house in Kinzua, Pennsylvania. They arrived there but never got farther on their proposed trip. Annie Cadwallader became seriously ill, went down hill rapidly, and died September 15, 1905.

We do not know with any certainty at this point what Bertha did after her mother died. Her sister Mary Louisa rejoined her husband Harry Hill in Milton, but sisters Gertrude and Kate continued to live in Philadelphia. Her brother Albert was a university student in Philadelphia for part of this period. Family memory says that Bertha lived with her father and kept house for him. It also says that they lived in Philadelphia, but we have no real records on this. When Bertha's father wrote his will on August 20, 1909, he included a statement to the effect that although he was temporarily making his abode in Philadelphia, he intended that his residence and domicile should continue to be in Milton.

Bertha's father, Albert Cadwallader, remarried in May 1909 to Louisa A. Crawford of Milton. When he died in 1912, he bequeathed Louisa an annuity which his will says was in accordance with an ante-nuptial agreement in which she signed a quit claim against his estate. Apparently it was a marriage of convenience. Bertha refused to live with them, and we do not know where she lived in the following year.

On April 27, 19l0, Bertha married Pratt Bishop Worrell of Philadelphia. They were married by George B. Bell, Pastor of the Patterson Memorial Presbyterian Church in Philadelphia, but it apparently was not a formal church wedding. Bertha's brother Albert and his wife-to-be Mae Schreyer stood up with them. We do not know whether any other relatives attended or not. We do not know how long Bertha had known Pratt Worrell before they married, nor how she met him. He worked for the Pennsylvania Railroad in Broad Street Station and according to family memory roomed with the family of a fellow railroad employee, William Oberdorf. On their marriage license application, Pratt's address is given as 215 W. Farson St, W. Phila. and Bertha's as 6012 Chestnut St., W. Phila. It is possible that before Bertha's father remarried, he and his daughter lived together near enough to the Oberdorfs, that Bertha and Pratt met as neighbors.

Bertha and Pratt took an apartment in West Philadelphia. A letter dated September 20, 1911 shows their address as 48 N. 54th St., W. Phila. Whether they lived at this same address until they bought a house in 1914 we do not know. Sometime during this period they took a train trip to Fargo, North Dakota with Pop and Mom Oberdorf; clearly an exciting experience for people who had never traveled very far and one that was remembered with pleasure years later. Although the Oberdorfs were about ten years older, they continued to be among their best friends.

Bertha's sister Gertrude died in Philadelphia in 1909, but her sister Kate and family continued to live in Philadelphia, and her brother Albert lived there for some years after he married Mae Schreyer in 1912. Bertha's father died in Milton on May 2, 1912, but by then she had established her own life in Philadelphia.

Bertha and Pratt had one son, who was born on May 14, 1913. They named him Albert Cadwallader after his maternal grandfather. Bertha had some kind of health problems when Albert was a baby, but we do not know whether they prevented her from having other children.

In the spring of 1914, Bertha and Pratt bought a new house at 5820 Cedarhurst Street in a new housing development in West Philadelphia. It was one of 52 row houses on a one-block street only a block from Baltimore Avenue, a main east and west street. Trolley cars ran on Baltimore Avenue and 58th Street, and the railroad station on the line from Philadelphia to Baltimore was only two blocks away. Bertha lived in this house for fifty-four years; she reluctantly sold it in 1968.

Bertha and Pratt paid $4,000 for their new home. They signed a mortgage for $1,200 of this. We do not at present know the source of the remaining $2,800. Both of them had inherited some money and they probably pooled what they had. It was a nice house with three bedrooms, hardwood floors, hot-water heat, a full finished basement, and a handkerchief-sized back yard. The neighborhood was definitely middle-class. The house was only a short walk from Cobbs Creek Park and only about three blocks from the line between Philadelphia and Delaware County, where conditions were gradually changing from semi-rural to suburban. The children on Cedarhurst Street were not confined to strictly city living.

Bertha and Pratt lived comfortably, if modestly. Pratt worked as a clerk, selling tickets in Broad Street Station during their early married years and later as a chief clerk in the ticket accounting office. His salary was always modest, but since, as a railroad employee, he could obtain passes on any railroad, they could travel inexpensively. Bertha visited Milton with her young son at least once a year to see her relatives and old friends. The whole family spent occasional Sundays with Pratt's brothers David and Channing on their respective farms. In the summer, Bertha and Albert would spend a week or two in Wildwood or some other seashore resort and Pratt would join them on Sundays.

Bertha joined the Ninth Presbyterian Church, which was within walking distance, and was active in various church groups. Pratt was not a religious person, but occasionally went along. Bertha early joined The 1910 Club, an organization of wives of railroad employees, which was formed in that year. The club met periodically at the homes of members for lunch and conversation. When the members were young, they sometimes brought children along. This amazing informal group stuck together for over fifty years, its membership eventually supplemented by daughters. Bertha recorded the deaths of members over the years; she herself may have been the last survivor of the original group. In the 1920's Bertha joined the Order of the Eastern Star and was active in it for a number of years.

Pratt's niece, Emma Longshore Worrell, lived with her uncle and aunt during the two years in the early 1920's when she was a college student in Philadelphia. After she graduated, she continued to room with them off and on while she worked in Philadelphia. Her relationship with her uncle and aunt was close and they considered her almost a daughter. Bertha's son Albert had similar feelings for Emma's parents and from the age of ten until he started college, spent most of his summers on the farm of his Uncle David and Aunt Etta.

Bertha would undoubtedly have led a more active social life if she had been married to a different person. Pratt was a quiet man and definitely not an extrovert. They did play bridge frequently with Dr. and Mrs. Mitterling and a small group of other friends. A rather close relationship existed with the family of Bertha's sister Kate Rife. For a number of years the families regularly got together for Christmas and for Thanksgiving. But Bertha largely had to make her own social life.

When Bertha's father died in 1912, he left in trust for his children a block of stores and apartments in Milton. The income from this property was paid out regularly to the children. Bertha thus had income of her own, which in the 1950's ranged from $500 to $700 per year and may have been larger in earlier years. Albert Cadwallader included strict provisions in his will that his daughters' husbands should have no claim to or power over the trust incomes of their wives. So when Bertha decided in 1931 that they should have their first automobile, she went ahead and bought one with her own money despite Pratt's strong objections.

In 1931, Albert started college and, although he spent his vacations at home until he graduated, he never really lived with his parents again. He did not live very close to them either, and they did not see him for long periods, especially during World War II, when he was on the West Coast. He was faithful in writing almost every week, but after 1935, Bertha and Pratt were for all practical purposes a family of two.

Bertha and Pratt apparently enjoyed a happy married life, and the first twenty years were clearly pleasant ones. With the onset of the depression in the 1930's, life became more difficult. Pratt was grimly holding on to his job and after he retired in 1937 he was at loose ends. Things improved when he started to work again in the 1940's, and after he retired from that job life was satisfactory, if unexciting. After the war, Albert and his family lived in Richmond, Virginia, and then Georgia, and finally Connecticut and Bertha and Pratt saw them more frequently.

Pratt died suddenly on September 12, 1959 after having been in poor health for several years. If he had lived another seven months, they would have been married for fifty years. Bertha was then 77 years old, but active and in good health and continued to live in the Cedarhurst Street house by herself. In June of 1960, Albert and his family went to Chile for a year and a half and wanted to take Bertha along. But she made the wise decision to remain in Philadelphia where she had friends and relatives.

By 1968, Bertha was 86 years old and Albert and his wife Helen were becoming more and more concerned about her living alone. The Cedarhurst Street neighborhood had changed, most of Bertha's friends had died or moved, and she was finally willing to consider moving. Helen made a visit to Philadelphia during which the house was sold, much of the furnishings was sold, and Bertha and her most cherished possessions were moved to Cheshire, Connecticut in the fall of 1968. There she settled into an apartment of her own attached to the house of Helen and Albert.

Bertha was a model mother-in-law. She took her meals with the family, but spent much of her time in her own quarters. Helen and Albert were away for the summer of 1969 and for seven months in 1970. Bertha stayed in her apartment. But arrangements were made for people to live in the house and a Mrs. Michalowski was hired to come several times a week and take Bertha for outings. She also visited her niece Emma for part of this time. It was undoubtedly not the happiest period of her life, but she did not complain.

Bertha was ill during the latter part of 1971. Tests showed that tuberculosis, which she apparently had had when young, had become active again. She was able to remain in her apartment and to take meals with the family. But she ate at a separate table and was pretty much isolated because of the danger of infecting the other family members.

At 2:30 in the morning on January 7, 1972, she awakened Albert and Helen with the warning buzzer from her apartment. They found her coughing up blood and called Dr. Zale who called an ambulance, which took her to Yale-New Haven Hospital. On January 10, Dr. Zale had her transferred to Gaylord Hospital in Wallingford. For the next several weeks her condition fluctuated; Helen or Albert would find her feeling good one day and bad the next. On the morning of Tuesday, February 1, 1972, the hospital called to report she had suffered a massive hemmorhage in the lungs and had died. She had received letters from each of her grand-daughters earlier that morning and apparently was pleased.

Bertha May Cadwallader Worrell was buried on Friday, February 4, 1972 in Lot 205 in the Sunnyside Section of Arlington Cemetery in Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania. She was buried beside her husband Pratt, who had purchased that lot for them in 1918. Her funeral was attended by a very small group of relatives and friends; she had outlived many relatives and most of her friends. If she had lived three more months, she would have been ninety years old. 
CADWALLADER, Bertha May (I1314)
BIOGRAPHY: BECK FAMILY. Among the German immigrants who left their homes along the Rhine during the great migration of German Protestants to Pennsylvania in the last century was Johann Thomas Beck. He came from the Duchy of Hanau, and embarked from the port of Rotterdam, in Holland, in the year 1752, with his wife Esther, his son Henry and his daughter Margaret. He did not live to see the New World, for he died on the voyage and the Atlantic became his burying place. His widow and children reached Philadelphia, from whence they went to Berks county, Penn., where they settled, and where the widow subsequently married one McMullen. 
BECK, Johann Thomas (I1232)
Biography: Elias Rattge (or Redche), the first of the name here, came to Pennsylvania Sept. 26, 1737, from Germany, and was accompanied by Nicholas Rattge, a relative. Both names were written by a cleric and that of Elias was spelled Ratgen. Tra­dition says he was related to John Jacob Radge, who arrived in Philadelphia Dec. 3, 1740, on the ship "Robert and Alice”, Capt. Goodman, com­mander. Elias Rattge settled at once in Robeson Township, Lancaster County, and Nicholas in Al­bany Township, Berks (then Philadelphia) County, and on Nov. 28, 1750, the latter received a war­rant for fifty acres in Philadelphia County. He was a farmer, but little is known of him. He died in 1760, leaving a widow, Maria Ann Ursula, and children Elias (died in Greenwich Township. Berks County, in 1773) and Anna Margarete.

In 1750 Elias Rattge (or Redche) secured a warrant from the proprietaries of Pennsylvania for sixty-five acres of land in Robeson Township, Lan­caster County; in 1752 this township was trans­ferred to Berks County. On Oct. 28, 1765, he pur­chased 140 acres adjoining the sixty-five, and there he farmed until 1773. On June 12, 1773, he sold his property at Gibraltar to his only son, Elias, Jr., and moved to Cumru (now Brecknock) Town­ship, in what was called “the Forest". There he purchased 134 acres, through which ran the Alle­gheny Creek, and on the banks of that stream he erected a sawmill, which he conducted successfully until the time of his death. He also followed farming on this land. He died in 1786, aged about seventy years, and is buried at St. John's Cemetery, Gibraltar - a part of his old farm. Elias Redche was twice married. By his first wife Elizabeth he had the following children: (1) Elias, horn in 1745, married April 6. 1773, Elizabeth Hunter, of Oley (born in 1752, died Jan. 11. 1816), and died Jan. 3. 1829. (2) Barbara married John Kendall. (3) Mary, born Aug. 5, 1747, married May 28, 1770, Gottlieb Christian, and died in 1832. (4) Catharine, born April 22, 1756, married Sept. 5, 1773, Christian Krauss, and died Feb. 14, 1809. (5) Elizabeth married Frederich Rapp Sept. 20, 1770, and died before 1786. Elias Redche married (second) March 21, 1773, Rosina Zigler, widow of Adam Zigler. They had no chil­dren, and at his death in 1788 she married Chris­tian Eschelman, a neighbor. 
RATTGE, Elias (I1599)
Biography: Elias Redcay, Jr., only son of Elias, lived in Robeson Township, Lancaster County, PA, where he carried on farming and conducted a sawmill. He carried on opera­tions on the two tracts which he had purchased from his father in 1773, up to 1804, when he decided to sell out. He was an extensive dealer in land and a large property owner, owning several good farms and a few timber tracts on which he operated sawmills. On April 29, 1791, he and his wife deeded to Valentine Geiger and Herman Umstead in trust for the inhabitants of this sec­tion a tract of land containing one acre, ten perches, it being part of the land he had purchased from his father. This land contained the private burying ground of the Redcays, who in later years allowed people of their section to bury their dead there. It was the intention to have a church built there, but this was not done until 1809, and it is known as St. John's Lutheran and Reformed Church. It is said that a log church was on the property be­fore the present church was built. All Christian congregations which contributed to its support were allowed to worship in the building, and they were also to maintain and keep the graveyard. Late in life Elias Redcay lost most of his competency, through disastrous financial investments. He was a member of the General Assembly from Exeter in 1805-1806, and during the Revolution­ary war he served as a lieutenant of militia from Pennsylvania in Capt. Adam Beard's Company, 3d Battalion, Lieut. Col. Jonathan Jones. He was a great reader and delighted to tell stories of the war. He died Jan. 3, 1829, and is buried in the old Redcay burying ground. On April 6, 1773, Elias Redcay married Elizabeth Hunter, born 1752, died Jan. 11, 1816, and their children were: Henry, born Aug. 13, 1775, married Mary Catharine Neykirk, of Exeter, born Jan. 25, 1779. He died May 22, 1848, and she Sept. 3, 1842, and both are buried in the Muddy Creek Cemetery in Lancaster county. (2) John. (3) Elias, born Dec. 28, 1782, married (first) Jan. 29, 1809, Sarah Harner of Exeter. She died and was buried in Muddy Creek cemetery, and he married (second) July 16, 1826, Elizabeth Strauss, of Bern, born Feb. 12, 1790. He passed away Jan. 28, 1867, and she died Aug. 19, 1875, and both are buried at Adamstown, Lancaster county. (4) Elizabeth married Samuel Ludwig, of Cumru, and they moved to Missouri in 1832. (5) Maria married June 9, 1805, Jacob Ludwig. 
REDCAY, Elias Jr (I1597)
Biography: John Redcay, son of Elias, was born in Robeson Township, Berks County, about 1779. On April 10, 1810, he, with his father, purchased a farm of John Barr, of Exeter Township, which they farmed until 1823, when they sold out. He then moved to a farm near Schwartzwald in Exeter, which had a clover mill on it. There he remained until his death in 1836, and he is buried in St. John's graveyard at Gibraltar. About 1807 he married Esther Rhoads, of Amity Township, Berks County, and they had children as follows: (1) Mary, born Oct. 14, 1807, married Thomas Lewis. (2) Betzy, born April 10, 1809, married Pete Romig, and died Oct. 16, 1851. (3) John, born April 25, 1810, married Phoebe Schrack, born Oct. 31, 1817, died Feb. 13, 1854. He died in July, 1848. (4) Daniel, born Feb. 1, 1812, married Abby Kint, and died June 1, 1890. (5) Jacob, born June 13, 1816, died unmarried Dec. 18, 1898. (6) Catharine married John Lewis. 
REDCAY, John (I1595)
Biography: CHARLES A. SCHROYER, superintendent of the car shops of the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad in Chicago, has made a specialty of car construction for many years and acquired his present responsible position as the result of ripe experience, accompanied by supe­rior mechanical skill and executive ability. He was horn at Milton, Pennsylvania, October 14, 1853, and is a son of Allen and Rebecca (Crites) Schroyer.

Charles A. Schroyer attended the public schools of Lock Haven and learned the trade of cabinetmaker. He served an apprenticeship of five years in his father's shop, acquiring a thorough knowledge of that line of work, which has always been of great value to him. In 1878 he engaged in car-building in the shops of the Philadelphia & Erie Railroad at Renovo, Pennsylvania. Thence he subsequently went to Jeffersonville, Indiana, where he was employed for six years as car-builder by the Ohio Falls Car Company, one of the leading establishments in the United States in the construction of railway coaches. He spent two years more in the shops of the Jeffersonville, Madison & Indianapolis Railroad, at Indian­apolis, and in February, 1886, entered upon his engagement with the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad Company. He has ever since been superintendent of the immense shops of this cor­poration near the western line of the city, and about one thousand six hundred men are em­ployed under his charge, including several hun­dred who are dispersed along the lines of the goods at Lock Haven and Bellefonte, Pennsyl­vania. He commands the highest respect of his subordinates and associates, both as an arti­san and as a gentleman, and under his careful and systematic management this gigantic enter­prise proceeds with the least possible friction and delay. The results accomplished during his eleven years in this connection have been highly satisfactory to the company, as is attested by his long continuance in the responsible position he occupies.

In October, 1875, Mr. Schroyer was married to Miss Amanda Galbraith, daughter of Bartram and Sarah Galbraith, of Bellefonte, Pennsylvania. In 1882 the family was bereaved by the death of this lady, which occurred at the same place, when she was but twenty-nine years of age. She was a devout member of the Methodist Church at Bellefonte, in which she had worshipped from childhood. She left two daughters, Mary and Minnie, who survive to cheer their father's home. The family is at present connected with the Methodist Church at Oak Park, in which attract­ive suburb it has resided some years. Socially Mr. Schroyer is identified with the Oak Park Club, and Harlem Lodge, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons. In questions involving national issues, he has always supported the men and measures of the Republican party, but finds no time for participation in the rewards of practical politics. 
SCHREYER, Charles Allen (I2949)
Biography: Allen Schroyer, who was a native of Berks County, Pennsylvania, continued the piano manufacturing enterprise founded by his father for a time, and was subse­quently engaged in the manufacture of cabinets.

He died in Bellefonte, Pennsylvania in 1883, at the age of seventy-eight years. He was a man of firm convictions and was very pronounced in the expression of his views on public questions. He held to the Presbyterian faith in religious matters, and was one of the early advocates of the abolition movement. In his later years he was identified with the Republican party. 
SCHREYER, Allen C. (1) (I2919)
Biography: He was one of five brothers who came to Berks County, PA, form the River Rhine in Germany, of whom three were generals and two captains. 
HILL, Johannes Jacob (I1418)
Biography: In 1882 the family was bereaved by the death of this lady when she was but twenty-nine years of age. She was a devout member of the Methodist Church at Bellefonte, in which she had worshipped from childhood. She left two daughters, Mary and Minnie, who survive to cheer their father's home. 
GALBRAITH, Amanda (I2989)
Biography: Abraham Schroyer was a skilled artisan, and established one of the first piano factories in America at Milton, Pennsylvania. Most of the product of this establishment was shipped by water to Philadelphia, where the instruments were placed on exhibition and sold. His granddaughter, now Mrs. George Evans, who was an accomplished musician, often accompanied the shipment of goods to that city, where her skill was employed in exhibiting the pianos to best advantage. 
SCHREYER, Abraham (I271)
Biography: Mrs. Rebecca Schroyer died at Oak Park, Ill­inois, November 4, 1892, having attained the age of seventy-five years. She was born at Chil­lisquaque, Northumberland County, Pennsyl­vania, and was a daughter of John Adams Crites, a prominent farmer of that county, who was also a native of Germany. He was the father of thirteen children, of whom Mrs. Schroyer was the youngest and the latest survivor. She was the mother of five sons and five daughters, of whom the following is the record: Margaret is the wife of George Evans, of Lock Haven, Penn­sylvania; Minnie, Mrs. Jonathan Harper, resides at Bellefonte, Pennsylvania, which place is also the home of Maria, Mrs. Hoffman; Louisa, Mrs. Garvin, died at the same place; Lydia, Mrs. Hathorne, died at Williamsport, Pennsylvania. 
CRITES, Rebecca (2) (I2948)
CHARLES E. COUP, shipping clerk of J. B. Godcharles's nail works, was born in Tuscarora, Schuylkill county, Pennsylvania, November 14, 1848, son of A. Nelson and Elizabeth (Rank) Coup, of Union county, Pennsylvania, and of German descent. The family removed to Chillisquaque township, this county, in 1851 where the father followed carpentering. After completing his school days the subject of this sketch traveled through the western States; in 1869 he enlisted in the Eighth Cavalry Regiment of the United States Regular Army and was stationed in Arizona and New Mexico in service for five years. He was married in June, 1876, to Sarah M., daughter of David S. Carbaugh, of Milton, and to this union have been born eight children: James H., deceased; Clara M., deceased; Annie E., deceased; David A.; Martha D.; Charles E.: Samuel L., and Isaac I. Mr. Coup has been with his present employers since 1877, and has held the position of shipping clerk since January, 1889. He is a Republican in politics and his wife belongs to the Evangelical church. 
COUP, Charles E. (I4665)
From Bell's History of Northumberland County 1891: ALLEN S. HOTTENSTEIN, attorney at law, was born in Liberty township, Montour county, Pennsylvania, son of Charles and Veronica (Kauffman) Hot­tenstein. He was educated in the public schools of Turbut township and Milton Academy, and remained on his father's farm until twenty-two years of age, when he went to Berks county, this State, and taught school. He was a member of the first faculty of the Keystone State Normal School at Kutztown, Berks county, Pennsylvania, which position he resigned to accept the principalship of the high school of that place. He subsequently began the study of law with H. H. Swartz, judge of the orphan's court of Berks
county, and was admitted to the bar at Lebanon, Pennsylvania, January 14, 1871. He removed to Scranton, where he practiced his profession for ten years. In July, 1881, he returned to Milton, the home of his youth, and has since engaged in various occupations in connection with his profession. Politically he is a Democrat and is considered a leader in the party of the community in which he lives. While residing in Berks county he was in the internal revenue service and also held the office of justice of the peace. He was appointed postmaster of Milton, July 26,1886 by President Cleveland, serving his full term of four years, two of which were under a Republican administration. In 1867 he was married to Mary E., only danghter of Daniel Zimmerman, of Berks county. She died August 2, 1869. He was again married on the 24th of September, 1870, to Henrietta Frances, daughter of Frederick W. Graff, of Philadelphia, by whom he has seven children: Bessie May; Lulu Graff; Katie Veronica; Annie Boneta; Ethel Margaret; Henry Kauffman, and Robert Lee. In 1884 Mr. Hottenstein became connected with the Milton Economist, which he successfully conducted until 1888. Starting with an old Washington hand press, he refitted the office with steam power and Campbell presses and increased the circulation from six hundred to one thousand nine hundred copies. Mr. Hottenstein and his family are members of the German Reformed church. 
HOTTENSTINE, Allen Spohn (I1719)
From Bell's History of Northumberland County PA 1891: DANIEL FOLLMER was born in Turbut township in 1805, and was a farmer by occupation. In politics he was a Democrat up to the war, served in the various township offices, and was trustee of the Follmer Lutheran church many years. He died in 1887; his wife died in 1882. They reared four sons and four daughters: Mary E., wife of Charles Engle; William G.; Margaret; C. F., insurance agent of Milton; Elmira, wife of William Raup, of Lewis township; Daniel H.; Susan L., and J. S. 
FOLLMER, Daniel (I2157)
From Bell's History of Northumberland County PA 1891: JOHN Hoy, retired farmer, was born in Schuylkill county, Pennsylvania, December 26, 1805, and was married in 1828 to Sarah Kimmel. In 1848 he came to Northumberland county and settled upon the farm where he has since resided. In connection with farming he has been engaged in the manufacture of brick. He is a Democrat, and has filled various township offices in a creditable manner. He is a member of the German Reformed church. His wife died, September 22, 1862, and was the mother of fourteen children, twelve of whom are living: Edward; Hannah, wife of Michael Fagely: Sarah widow of Nathan Fehr; Franklin; Hettie, wife of William Follmer; Levina, wife of Thomas Kirchner; John; Maria, widow of William Wagner; Amanda, wife of Jacob Friese; Samuel; Elizabeth, wife of John Noraconk, and David N. Mr. Hoy was again married, to Mrs. Sarah Miller, widow of George Froby. 
HOY, John (I3705)
From Bell's History of Northumberland County PA 1891: JOSEPH MARR was one of the pioneers of Turbut township, Northumberland county, the site of his home being now embraced in the borough of Milton. He was born June 15, 1750, in Northampton county, Pennsylvania, where he married Susannah Frampton of the same county, born April 27, 1754. In 1792 he purchased three hundred seventy-nine acres of land from the widow of Turbutt Francis, a part of a tract known as "Colonel's Reward", lying on the east bank of the West Branch, immediately north of Milton. It must have been well improved property, as he paid at the rate of four pounds per acre for it. In 1793 he settled upon his purchase, where he died, September 3, 1796; his widow survived him until December 27, 1826. They were the parents of six children: Mary, who married Robert Martin; Hannah, who became the wife of Williarn Hull; David, who died, February 14, 1819; William. who died December 18, 1823; Joseph, who died October 5, 1804; and Alern, who became quite a prominent lawyer and politician and served two terms in Congress. 
MARR, Joseph (I608)
From Bell's History of Northumberland County PA 1891: REUBEN H. KLAPP, farmer and fruit grower, was born in Berks county, Pennsylvania, January 12, 1833, son of Peter and Catharine (Haag) Klapp, natives of that county, who settled in Union county in 1842. His father was a tanner by trade, and followed that occupation over twenty years, after which he engaged in farming. He was a deacon and leader of the choir in the Lutheran church, and politically was a Republican. He had a good education, and in his younger days taught the German language. He died in 1861, and his widow in 1874. They reared fourteen children: Reuben; Jerrett, of Lock Haven; Sophia, Mrs. Henry Heberling, of White Deer Mills, Union county; Catharine; Mary; William, of Florida; Daniel, deceased; Samuel, of Milton; Rebecca, Mrs. William Michael, of Trevorton; Charles, of Milton; Sarah, deceased; Delilah, Mrs. Beck, of Dakota; Ella, of Milton, and John, of Union county.

The subject of this sketch removed to Union county at the age of nine years. He received his education at the township schools, Milton Academy, and Pennsylvania College, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, after which he was engaged in teaching fourteen years; since then he has been engaged in farming and fruit culture. In 1876 he came to Northumberland county and located upon his present farm. In September, 1864, he enlisted in Company C, One Hundred and Ninety-ninth Pennsylvania Volunteers, and served until the close of the war, receiving wounds at the battle of Appomattox. June 9, 1864, he married Mary, daughter of Isaac Marsh, of Northumberland county. She died, January 26, 1886, leaving no children. He was again married, June 3, 1888, to Mrs. Hettie Herr, widow of Christopher Herr, and daughter of Charles and Hettie (Newhart) Albright, of Lehigh county, Pennsylvania. Mr. Klapp is an active member of the Republican party, of Henry Wilson Post, G.A.R., and of the Turbut Grange. He and his wife are members of the Lutheran church. 
KLAPP, Reuben Haag (I2904)
From Bell's History of Northumberland County PA 1891: REUBEN H. KLAPP, farmer and fruit grower, was born in Berks county, Pennsylvania, January 12, 1833, son of Peter and Catharine (Haag) Klapp, natives of that county, who settled in Union county in 1842. His father was a tanner by trade, and followed that occupation over twenty years, after which he engaged in farming. He was a deacon and leader of the choir in the Lutheran church, and politically was a Republican. He had a good education, and in his younger days taught the German language. He died in 1861, and his widow in 1874. They reared fourteen children: Reuben; Jerrett, of Lock Haven; Sophia, Mrs. Henry Heberling, of White Deer Mills, Union county; Catharine; Mary; William, of Florida; Daniel, deceased; Samuel, of Milton; Rebecca, Mrs. William Michael, of Trevorton; Charles, of Milton; Sarah, deceased; Delilah, Mrs. Beck, of Dakota; Ella, of Milton, and John, of Union county. The subject of this sketch removed to Union county at the age of nine years. He received his education at the township schools, Milton Academy, and Pennsylvania College, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, after which he was engaged in teaching fourteen years; since then he has been engaged in farming and fruit culture. In 1876 he came to Northumberland county and located upon his present farm. In September, 1864, he enlisted in Company C, One Hundred and Ninety-ninth Pennsylvania Volunteers, and served until the close of the war, receiving wounds at the battle of Appomattox. June 9, 1864, he married Mary, daughter of Isaac Marsh, of Northumberland county. She died, January 26, 1886, leaving no children. He was again married, June 3, 1888, to Mrs. Hettie Herr, widow of Christopher Herr, and daughter of Charles and Hettie (Newhart) Albright, of Lehigh county, Pennsylvania. Mr. Klapp is an active member of the Republican party, of Henry Wilson Post, G.A.R., and of the Turbut Grange. He and his wife are members of the Lutheran church. 
KLAPP, Reuben Haag (I2904)
From the web site of Meiji Gakuin University in Japan: James Curtis Hepburn was born in Milton, Pennsylvania on March 13, 1815. Hepburn's ancestors were Scotch-Irish, having immigrated from Scotland to Northern Ireland. A sheltered Hepburn was raised by his devoutly religious parents. In 1831, he entered Princeton University, a school founded by the Presbyterian Church for the purpose of training teachers. After Princeton he aspired to a career in medicine and went on to the University of Pennsylvania, where he graduated in 1836.

Although he was engaged in medicine as a general practitioner, Hepburn also felt the calling to travel abroad to perform missionary work. It was by chance that he met Clarissa Maria Leete, a woman who shared his interest in becoming a missionary. The two were married in 1840, and applied to The Presbyterian Church project to send missionaries to Siam. By March of the next year, they were aboard a boat departing Boston Harbor.

They arrived in Singapore in July of 1841. Sadly, while the couple was at sea, a pregnant Clara experienced a miscarriage. In Singapore their mission destination was changed from Siam to the city of Amoy in China. However, due to the Opium War, they were unable to immediately make the voyage and their arrival in Amoy was delayed until November of 1843, two years later. During this time, the couple managed to give birth to a single child. However, they once again met with misfortune, as the child passed away no more than a few hours later.

Though Amoy's scenery was pleasant, its water was of poor quality and malaria was rampant. It was here that Clara gave birth to a son, whom the couple named Samuel David. Samuel was ultimately the only one of their children who survived to adulthood. Clara fared poorly after giving birth, and both she and James contracted malaria. In the face of these troubles, they had no choice but to abandon their mission. The three members of the family returned to New York in March of 1846.

After Hepburn returned to the United States, he started a medical practice in New York. At that time, numerous people from all over the world were emigrating to New York. Because the hygienic situation was very poor, plagues like cholera were spreading. Hepburn provided medical treatment to many cholera patients and gained a famous reputation as a doctor. He was also familiar with ophthalmology, having earned a degree from the University of Pennsylvania, and his clinic became very popular. Ironically, he and his wife lost their three children (2, 3, and 5 years old) from illnesses (scarlatina and dysentery). Hepburn wrote to his brother Slator (August 1, 1855):

"My heart is broken. New York is such an awful place. I wish I had wings and flew away from here. If it's a sin, forgive me my trespasses."

In 1858, the U.S. and Japan entered into a treaty of commerce. Hepburn heard this and applied for a missionary position to Japan through the Presbyterian Church of America, the Overseas Missionary Station. His application was accepted in January of the following year.

Without his parents' support, Hepburn left his son, Samuel (14) with his friend, closed his popular clinic, and left for Japan on April 24, 1859. He rounded the Cape of Good Hope, stopped at Hong Kong and Shanghai, and arrived at Kanagawa, Japan, on October 17. Hepburn described this trip in his letter to the headquarters of the Missionary Station in New York (March 16, 1881):

"When I was received the order, I gave up many things that related my heart to my homeland and went to Japan with high hope. As I am always thinking, my first missionary trip and life in China was for the second missionary act in Japan, which is my most important decision in my life."

The Hepburns settled down at the Jobutsu temple in Japan's Kanagawa prefecture in 1860. Although Christian missionary activities were banned by the Japanese government at that time, medical treatment was permitted. In a letter to missionary headquarters in New York (May 14, 1860) he wrote:
"When we walk around, everyone smiles and bows. I did not give much medicine to them but I treated 4 people in these days. Three of them were fine warriors assigned to our local guard house. I gave a small surgery and everyone was so pleased because pain was gone after that." 
HEPBURN, James Curtis (I2980)
L. O. CLINGER, agent for the Adams Express Company, was born in Lycoming county, Pennsylvania, January 31, 1852, son of J. W. and Rebecca (Meixell) Clinger, natives of Lycoming and Union counties, respectively, and now residing at Winchester, Virginia. His father is a Democrat, and served as justice of the peace many years. The subject of our sketch removed to Union county, Pennsylvania, when nine years of age, and was educated in the public schools and the Bloomsburg State Normal School. In 1865 he came to Milton, and, with the exception of four years spent in Virginia, has since resided here. His principal business had been book-keeping until 1883, when he accepted his present position. In 1871 he married Sarah Jane, daughter of William Nagle, of Milton, and they are the parents of five children: John Benton; William Bruce; Sarah Nagle; Mary, and Rebecca. Mr. Clinger is a member of the Royal Arcanum of Lewisburg, and politically he is a Democrat. He and wife are members of the German eformedchurch. 
CLINGER, Leander Osborne (I1772)
Lois G. Roy Dickerman

DIED: November 15, 2009

LOCATION: Manchester, NH

Lois G. Roy Dickerman of Manchester, died November 15, 2009 at Courville at Manchester. She was born in New York City and had been a Manchester area resident for over fifty years. Earlier in life, she was a Rockette at Radio City Music Hall. She was in the insurance business for many years and had also been a real estate broker working with Edward J. Roy and Roycraft Homes. She was a local socialite and had been a world traveler. She was predeceased by her husbands, Edward J. Roy and Dr. Frederick Dickerman. In Her Life: Family members include a step son, Richard Roy of Hampton; two step daughters, Carrie Dickerman Romaine of Hampton and Jean Dickerman Distler of Louisville, KY; numerous grandchildren and great grandchildren; a nephew, James Wadsworth of New York, NY; two nieces, Ann Luizza of San Francisco, CA and Joan Amanna of Cairo, NY; her long time personal secretary, bookkeeper and friend, Lynn Wilson of Goffstown; three close friends, Susan Emra of Goffstown, Marcia Morgan of Manchester and Art Desaulnier of Amhest; and several cousins. Calling hours will be at Phaneuf Funeral Homes and Crematorium, 243 Hanover Street on Wednesday morning from 9 to 11 AM. Funeral services will take place in the funeral home chapel at 11:00 with a graveside committal service to follow in Mt. Calvary Cemetery. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Lois G. Roy Dickerman Charitable Foundation, in care of the New Hampshire Charitable Foundation, 37 Pleasant Street, Concord, NH 03301. 
Lois (I4304)
Ruth R. Dickerman

Schenectady , N.Y.

Ruth Radcliffe Dickerman, 84, widow of Payson H. Dickerman, died Saturday, Dec. 23, 2000, at Kingsway Nursing Home.

Former member: St. Peters Episcopal Church, Greenville. Member: St. Andrews Episcopal Church, Scotia.

Survivors: Daughters, Patricia D. Long Knapp and husband, Richard, of Scotia, N.Y., and Rhys D. English and husband, Eugene, of Easley; two grandchildren; two great-grandchildren; one stepgrandchild; and one great-stepgrandchild.

Service: St. Andrews Episcopal Church, Scotia, N.Y.

Memorials: St. Andrews Episcopal Church, Scotia, N.Y. - Bond Funeral Home.

The Greenville News, Greenville , SC 
RADCLIFFE, Ruth (I4299)
WILLIAM CLINGAN was born in Donegal Township, Lancaster Co., Pa., Sept. 28, 1753. His father’s name was Thomas and his mother’s Christian name was Margaret. Thomas Clingan emigrated from County Donegal, Ireland. He and his wife Margaret had children as follows; William, born Sept. 28, 1753, married Jane Roan; Mary, born Sept. 1, 1755, married James Scott; George, born Jan. 25, 1760, married; Jennet, born April 27, 1763, married James Simpson.

William Clingan was married to Jane Roan June 11, 1778. He died May 24, 1822, and was buried in Lewisburg cemetery; his wife, also buried there, died May 9, 1838. 
CLINGAN, William (I368)
After Milton Academy, at the age of 16 he enrolled at Princeton College where he studied chemistry and classics. Instead of choosing law, as his father desired, he entered the Medical College of the University of Pennsylvania, graduating from there in 1836 at the age of 21.

The following year, he joined the First Presbyterian Church of Milton. The notion of becoming a medical missionary suddenly overtook him. His father strongly opposed it, and he tried to wipe away this notion to please his family. But his heart was not at rest until he decided to go overseas. The sense of mission and calling was simply overpowering. In the fall of 1838, Hepburn opened his practice in Norristown, PA. There he met Miss Clara M. Leete from North Carolina, a teacher at Norristown Academy. In October, 1840 they were married, united also in their desire to enter the mission field.

After Milton Academy, at the age of 16 he enrolled at Princeton College where he studied chemistry and classics. Instead of choosing law, as his father desired, he entered the Medical College of the University of Pennsylvania, graduating from there in 1836 at the age of 21.

The following year, he joined the First Presbyterian Church of Milton. The notion of becoming a medical missionary suddenly overtook him. His father strongly opposed it, and he tried to wipe away this notion to please his family. But his heart was not at rest until he decided to go overseas. The sense of mission and calling was simply overpowering. In the fall of 1838, Hepburn opened his practice in Norristown, PA. There he met Miss Clarissa M. Leete from North Carolina, a teacher at Norristown Academy. In October, 1840 they were married, united also in their desire to enter the mission field.

Not long after their arrival in Japan (1861), Dr. Hepburn faced an assassin, but was spared, Mrs. Hepburn was less fortunate. She was attacked from behind by an unknown assailant with a crowbar. Sustaining an injury, she quietly returned to the States for a while, so as not to endanger the status of her husband’s mission or those of other missionaries. Their children’s deaths and other tragedies visited on them.

In 1892 the couple completed their 33 years of missionary work in Japan and returned to the United States. They retired to East Orange, N. J. where three of their children were buried.

David J. Liu,KHi/article/Hepburn/2011.htm 
HEPBURN, James Curtis (I2980)
Alem Kennedy Marr was reading medicine with his brother, Dr. William H. Marr, at the time of his death, at Washingtonville, Pa. He died suddenly, of a congestive chill, cutting short a life that promised much. 
MARR, Alem Kennedy (I790)
Captain Gray was prominently identified with the history and development of his town and county. In 1778 he accompanied General Sullivan's expedition, and his draft of Col. William Butler's march and a letter to Robert Erskine are printed in the Pennsylvania Archives, Second Series, Vol. XV. He was made paymaster of the county militia in 1781; collector of excise in 1783; and deputy surveyor in 1791; he was auditor of Augusta township in 1787 and overseer in 1791; in 1796 he was one of the trustees appointed to purchase a schoolhouse for Sunbury.
Captain Gray was a Presbyterian and in 1787 he and Abraham Scoot, representing the congregation of Sunbury, united with the representatives of the Northumberland and Buffalo congregations in extending a call to Rev.Hugh Morrison, a licentiate of the Presbytery of Root, Ireland, who had been admitted to the Presbytery of Donegal in 1786; this call resulted in the establishment of the first Presbyterian Church in Sunbury. He was a member of the Pennsylvania State Society of the Cincinnati, and was made a Mason in Royal Arch Lodge No.3, at Philadelphia, during the Revolution. He first appears in Lodge No. 22, at Sunbury, as a visitor on Aug. 31, 1781, and on Jan. 7, 1784, was elected a member of that lodge. He was elected worshipful master of the Lodge Dec. 27, 1784; Dec. 27, 1791; June 24, 1793; Dec. 28, 1795; Dec. 27,1797; June 28, 1798, and Dec. 27, 1799. He was an enthusiastic Mason and some of the meetings of the lodge were held in his house, which was a large two-story log house standing at the southeast corner of Second and Walnut streets. The tax records at Sunbury show that in 1795 he was assessed as the owner of 760 acres of land, sixty town lots, five horses, one house and lot and one slave. Captain Gray was drowned in the Bloody Spring, near Sunbury, July 18, 1804; he had been working in the harvest field and sustained a stroke of apoplexy while leaning over drinking from the spring.
Capt.William Gray was married to Mary Brady, daughter of Capt. John Brady, who had served in the French and Indian and Revolutionary wars, and who was shot by the Indians near Muncy in 1779. Captain Brady was a son of Hugh Brady, of Cumberland county, Pa. His wife, whose maiden name was  Mary Quigley, was a daughter of James Quigley, of Cumberland county. 
GRAY, Capt. William (I6450)
Clark Dickerman, seventh in the family of John and Thankful (Smith) Dickerman, was born June 12,1803, in Guilford, Chenango Co., N.Y. He received there an academic education, and afterwards took a medical course in Jefferson College, Philadelphia, Pa. Dr. Dickerman was twice married, his first union being with Eliza Knapp, whom he married in November, 1829, and who died Nov. 9, 1830. He was married Oct. 14, 1833, at Gibson, Susquehanna Co., Pa., to Sarah Adelia Chandler, who was born July 30, 1815, daughter of James Chandler, a member of the Chandler family of Vermont and Michigan. He settled in Harford, Susquehanna Co., Pa., where he engaged in the active practice of his profession until his death, which occurred there Aug. 5, 1853. To his second marriage were born six children James Bedell and Eugene Durand, both deceased; Eliza Knapp, who married Ralph H. Eaton; Charles Heber; Payson Kingsbury; and Mary Louisa, who married Clement R. Woodin. 
DICKERMAN, Dr. Clark M. D. (I250)
David Price Marr, son of William Marr and grandson of Joseph Marr, was born Feb. 12, 1816, on the homestead near Milton, and died Sept. 2, 1864, aged forty-eight years. Though he died at a comparatively early age, he had made a signal success of his business life, his great industry, perseverance and good practical sense having won him notable standing among his fellow men. Possessed of fine executive ability, he was engaged in assisting to complete the system of internal improvements which had been so successfully commenced in his State. It would be difficult to mention another whose death was so generally felt and so sincerely lamented.

In early life he was a farmer. Later he engaged extensively in railroad and bridge building for the Catawissa, Northern Central, Philadelphia & Erie and other roads. At the time of his death he was associated with his cousin, J. B. Moorhead, of Philadelphia, president of the Philadelphia & Erie Road, in carrying on railroad construction in the State of New York. He was also interested in manufacturing, having built and owned the White Deer Woolen Mills, later taking Benjamin Griffey in as a partner. After his death this property was bought by Ario Pardee, of Hazleton; the mills were destroyed by fire in 1878. The Presbyterian church in Milton which was destroyed in the great fire, which occurred May 14, 1880, was built by him. His industries were many and varied.

On Dec. 17, 1839, David Price Marr married his first wife, Hetty L. Davis, who was born in 1814 and died July 2, 1848. He married Jan. 22, 1850, (second) Harriet J. Matchin, born Sept. 11, 1820, daughter of Joseph and Janette (Hiatt) Matchin, of London, England, died March 30, 1896. The children of David Price and Hetty L. Marr were: (1) Anna Eliza, born Oct. 30, 1840, married Sept. 24, 1861, John A. Grier, who was born at Brandywine Manor, Chester Co., Pa., Jan. 9, 1834, and died at Chicago, Ill., Nov. 18, 1902. (2) William Price, born Nov. 20, 1842, died Aug. 30, 1850. (3) Mary Helen, born Nov. 9, 1844, married June 6, 1864, Col. John McCleery, a prominent attorney of Milton, and a leading member of the Northumberland county bar.

The children of David Price and Harriet J. (Matchin) Marr were: (1) William Price was killed on the Pennsylvania railroad, while crossing the track near his home. He was in his nineteenth year, and a student in his sophomore year at Princeton College, New Jersey. (2) Alem K. married Jan. 16, 1878, Ella L. Schofield, of Addison, N. Y., and lives in Prince George county, Md. (3) David Brainard lives in Prince George county, Md. (4) Alfred Hiatt who lives at Eagles Mere, is married and has two children, David and Harriet. (5) Janette Dales married Edmund Hunter Heaton, of Philadelphia, Pa., Jan. 14, 1885, and resides in Milton. 
MARR, David Price (I621)
Edward Heber McCleery, a graduate of Princeton University, 1888, read medicine with his uncle, Dr. James P. McCleery, graduated from Jefferson Medical College, and is engaged in the practice of his profession in Kane, Pa. 
MCCLEERY, Edward Heber (I546)
Frank S. Marr is a graduate of Bucknell University, was admitted to the bar and practiced law in Sunbury, Pa.; later formed an electric construction company, and has continued in different lines of electrical work, with headquarters in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. 
MARR, Frank S. (I2870)
From GENEALOGY OF THE HACKENBERG FAMILY 1896, courtesy of Jessica Hackenberg:

At an early age Johann Peter learned the trade of carpenter and joiner, and was taught by his father a profession, that of Civil Engineering. In 1834 he was the Anti-Masonic delegate to the New Berlin Convention. In 1823 he was appointed Justice of the Peace, which office he held until 1836, when he removed from Freeburg with his family to McEwensville, Northumberland County, Pennsylvania, where later he conducted a general store. In 1836 he was appointed Supervisor of the West Branch of the Pennsylvania Canal, which position he filled for three years.

He was largely engaged in Mercantile pursuits and filled the office of Justice of the Peace for several years during his residence in McEwensville. In 1839 he entered into partnership with John P. Schuyler as Builders and Contractors, and they built the bridge at Northumberland, PA across the West Branch of the Susquehanna River.

In 1854, having sold his store to Levi Balliet, he removed with his family to White Pigeon, Michigan, where he engaged in the mercantile business, which he followed until his death, which occurred 16 Sept 1870.

Anna Mary, his widow died at White Pigeon, Michigan, in the 92nd year of her age, leaving nine children, 55 grandchildren, 53 great grandchildren, and five great great grandchildren. 
HACKENBERG, Johann Peter (I259)
GEORGE D. HEDENBERG, Milton, a coal merchant, is doing business under the firm name of Hedenberg & Son. This business is of about ten years standing, during which time it has grown from a small coal yard to one of the largest and best equipped plants in this section.

The Hedenbergs are of Swedish descent, the American branch having come to this country in the early Colonial days and settled in Perth Amboy, N.J., from which point the family became widely scattered.

Charles J. Hedenberg, grandfather of George D., was born in Tennessee, and being of a roving disposition, resided in many parts of the United States. He was active in the Texan Revolution against Mexico, as well as in the Civil war. Shortly before the latter period he came to Pennsylvania, and he died in Danville in 1871. To him and his wife, Mary Ellen, were born the following children: Charles J., James M., Mary Augusta, Frances V. and William J., and one son that died in infancy.

James M. Hedenberg, father of George D., was born in Houston, Texas, Jan. 5, 1847. Coming north with his parents, he resided in Philadelphia, Pa., from which place he enlisted, at the age of sixteen years, in Company G, 192d Regiment, P.V.I. After the war he entered the University of Pennsylvania to study medicine, but on account of ill health gave it up. Later he went into partnership with his father in the drug business in Danville, Pa., continuing there until 1872, when he entered the employ of the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad Company. He was stationed first at Williamsport, Pa., being transferred thence to Milton, in 1873, as agent, which position he filled for twenty-five years. He was largely instrumental in the extension of the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad branch into the center of the town. In 1898 he was transferred to Philadelphia, and he served there until his resignation in 1902 on account of failing health. He returned to Milton and made his home there until his death, which occurred Aug. 20, 1910.

On June 1, 1870, James M. Hedenberg married Susan R. Hiestand, daughter of John and Susan (Hoover) Hiestand, who, with two children, George D. and Charles L., of Madison, Ga., survived him. He was a member of Milton Lodge, No. 256, F. & A.M., the Scottish Rite Consistory of the Valley of Philadelphia, and of Post No. 2 G.A.R., of Philadelphia.

George D. Hedenberg was born Oct. 15, 1871, at Danville, Pa. He was educated at the Milton public schools and started work in the employ of the United States Express Company, at Milton. Later he became chief clerk in the Milton station of the P. & R. Railroad. In the year 1898 he enlisted in Company C, 12th Regiment, P.V.I. After the close of the Spanish-American war he entered the employ of the P. & R. Railroad Company, and was stationed at Port Reading, N. J., being later transferred to Rutherford Transfer, Harrisburg, Pa. In 1903 he came back to Milton, where he has since been engaged in the coal business.

George D. Hedenberg married Nov. 20, 1902, Anna M. Heinen, daughter of Henry J. and Anna (Mann) Heinen, of Milton. They have three children, George D., Elisabeth M. and Juliette L. Socially Mr. Hedenberg is a member of Milton Lodge, No. 256, F. & A.M., the Scottish Rite Consistory of the Valley of Williamsport, S. Hepburn Pollock Camp, No. 121, S. of V., and the B.P.O. Elks Lodge, No. 913. 
HEDENBERG, George Dubois (I71)
Hannah lived on the NE corner of Water (Front) and Upper Market Streets. Her home can be seen on the map of 1858. 
HULL, Hannah Maria (I776)
He was a First Lieutenant under Capt. David Berry in the Upper Division of Northumberland County, Council of Safety in 1776. Later, William was shot and scalped by Indians at a spot in present day Williamsport, PA where Fourth St. crosses a small stream near Cemetery Street. He was in a group of six men, two women, and six children that were massacred. Two other children escaped by
HAMMOND, Lt. William (I6954)
Henry Wolfinger was a hotel keeper of much prominence in the early days of the actual development of the West Branch Valley. He was for years a resident of Northumberland and conducted the Cross Keys, a hotel on the corner of Market and Front streets. He later moved to Milton where the fourth generation of his family survive him. While in Milton he conducted a hotel on Mahoning Street on the site of the present home of Johnson B. Godcharles. He was a soldier in War of 1812, and was the father of the late John F. Wolflnger, Esq., an historian of much prominence in this valley. 
WOLFINGER, Henry (I7066)

      1 2 3 4 5 ... 29» Next»